News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

State (or County) Line Roads

Started by Darkchylde, June 27, 2013, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theline

Quote from: bugo on June 28, 2013, 02:04:15 PM
It would be utterly pointless to try to list all of the county line roads.  There are literally tens of thousands of examples across the country.
But that will not stop us from trying.

Still my favorite in the "state" category is State Line Street dividing Union City, IN/OH. Not only are the twin cities separated by a state line, but for decades they were officially divided by a time zone difference for six months each year. Far worse, I think, than having the difference all year.

Indiana finally acquiesced to daylight saving time and Union Citians were spared ever again having to ask, "Indiana time or Ohio time?"

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on June 28, 2013, 01:11:50 PM
State Line Rd between Lucas County, OH and Monroe County, MI is unique in the fact that it is off the border for most of its' length.  It drifts both north and south of the border, not in a straight line like the border.

I distinctly remember driving that road, looking for old signs because there is a 24 cutout nearby.

WTF?  why is it so incorrect?  it doesn't appear to a) follow a geographical feature, b) be the result of an old survey of the state line.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: theline on June 28, 2013, 02:26:28 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 28, 2013, 02:04:15 PM
It would be utterly pointless to try to list all of the county line roads.  There are literally tens of thousands of examples across the country.
But that will not stop us from trying.

Still my favorite in the "state" category is State Line Street dividing Union City, IN/OH. Not only are the twin cities separated by a state line, but for decades they were officially divided by a time zone difference for six months each year. Far worse, I think, than having the difference all year.

Indiana finally acquiesced to daylight saving time and Union Citians were spared ever again having to ask, "Indiana time or Ohio time?"

A bit farther south, College Corner IN/OH has a school that straddles the state line.  When I was very young I lived in Richmond and we passed it on our way to Cincinnati.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

WNYroadgeek

NY 269's entire length is on the Niagara/Orleans county line, and NY 272's entire length is the Orleans/Monroe line.

corco

This road doesn't get nearly enough love in roadgeeking circles. Supposedly Alberta provides the gravel and Montana maintains it.

sp_redelectric

I know of two, one near Tulelake, California and one north of Milton-Freewater, Oregon.  Working for the utility company that serves these areas these addresses can be a royal pain in the ass because oftentimes the mail is handled by one post office regardless of what side of the road it is on, and the telephone service is handled out of one exchange.  I had one customer who had an Oregon mailing address but a Washington physical address.  Of course we have to have the physical address correct because we have to collect taxes that are jurisdictional dependent (for example, we don't want to charge Washington sales tax on a customer who's electric meter is in Oregon).  And in some cases that means you have customers who live in one state, but have another state's area code for their phone number.  Fortunately with cell phones, this isn't really as big of a deal anymore...

spmkam

NY 120a aka king street straddles the NY CT border

Bickendan

Speaking of Tulelake, CA 161 is the border straddling highway between US 97 and OR 39/CA 139.

However, the prime example of this goes to AB/SK 17. Starting at SK 14 northwest of Macklin, SK, SK 17 goes north for a ways, then jogs over to Alberta and becomes AB 17. Keeps heading north for a ways and then heads back to the border, only to straddle it and be dual-signed as AB 17/SK 17, all the way through Lloydminster, AB/SK to Onion Lake, AB/SK, with two jogs into SK and back into AB.

http://goo.gl/maps/WocMS

Avalanchez71

Quote from: corco on June 28, 2013, 10:25:48 PM
This road doesn't get nearly enough love in roadgeeking circles. Supposedly Alberta provides the gravel and Montana maintains it.

I bet you made the NSA go nuts over all the road enthusiasts that just checked out that border road. 

doorknob60

Quote from: sp_redelectric on June 29, 2013, 01:27:17 AM
I know of two, one near Tulelake, California and one north of Milton-Freewater, Oregon.  Working for the utility company that serves these areas these addresses can be a royal pain in the ass because oftentimes the mail is handled by one post office regardless of what side of the road it is on, and the telephone service is handled out of one exchange.  I had one customer who had an Oregon mailing address but a Washington physical address.  Of course we have to have the physical address correct because we have to collect taxes that are jurisdictional dependent (for example, we don't want to charge Washington sales tax on a customer who's electric meter is in Oregon).  And in some cases that means you have customers who live in one state, but have another state's area code for their phone number.  Fortunately with cell phones, this isn't really as big of a deal anymore...

Holy crap, I think I discovered the only non-Interstate in Oregon signed higher than 55 MPH! http://goo.gl/maps/fxoBu Too bad we can't have any more :( I knew this road existed, but I always thought it was entirely in California, but that seems to be untrue, even though it's signed as a CA state route the whole way. Interesting...

EDIT: It seems Google might be a bit off, and it's technically all in CA. So much for that :/

DandyDan

The only prominent Nebraska county line road is Harrison Street, which separates Douglas County (Omaha) from Sarpy County.  A large segment is a divided highway.  FWIW, Dutch Hall Road separates Douglas County from Dodge/Washington Counties on the north end, but no one cares about that except the onetime local band Dutch Hall Road.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Brandon

Reason #12,954 why border patrol along the Canadian border is stupid, fruitless, and downright silly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

corco

For sure- and I have absolutely no idea how you'd legally use that road eastbound. There's a border station in Coutts at I-15, obviously, and then there's one waaay east at Aden (but you'd have to go pretty far into Alberta or Montana to get to it), but that wouldn't make sense. I guess you have to stop at the appropriate customs office before getting on the road if you're changing countries.

ce929wax

I like the sign that says "Canada diagonal, USA straight ahead".  It looks like an unsecure border crossing.   Also, it looks like if you got off at the last NB exit on I-15 you could access the road without going through customs.

The High Plains Traveler

I've followed that road on Google Maps and GSV. It appears to provide ample opportunity to circumvent U.S. and/or Canadian customs. With all the emphasis on border security, I'm surprised it isn't closed off, though it appears that the road is in the U.S. and provides access to Canadian residences - maybe the reason for the maintenance arrangement cited above.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 28, 2013, 02:41:37 PM
Let's not forget: :bigass:

Reminds me of DE/MD 54. In addition to the state highway meandering over the line several times, there are other pieces of road (like Line Church Rd.) that follow the border, and aren't straight lines themselves. At the eastern end of the border, Williamsville Rd. in DE becomes Delaware Rd. in MD, serving a development with no connection to the rest of the state, then becomes Williamsville Rd. once more in DE.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on June 29, 2013, 11:01:15 AMI guess you have to stop at the appropriate customs office before getting on the road if you're changing countries.

that's how it works in South America.  the facilities are often located a few kilometers away from the actual border.  you check out of one country, then check into the other one.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

bit of a thread resurrection.  here's an "Old State Line Road" in northern PA. 

http://goo.gl/maps/iwmPE

why is it there?  zoom out and extend New York's east-west straight line border.

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

I do not know if anyone mentioned this before but NJ Secondary (CR 537) straddles the Ocean/ Monmouth County Line in New Jersey.
Also, NJ 27 is the border between Somerset & Middlesex Counties south of New Brunswick.

Of course there is US 71 in Texarkana as well as South State Line Avenue.
MD/DE 54 is a two state highway.
NJ 23 has a wide median near Maccopin Reservoir in Northern New Jersey where the county line is in the Pequannock River that runs inside of NJ 23, if Steve did not mention it already. SB NJ 23 is in Morris while NB NJ 23 is in Passeic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 13, 2013, 08:02:21 PM
bit of a thread resurrection.  here's an "Old State Line Road" in northern PA. 

http://goo.gl/maps/iwmPE

why is it there?  zoom out and extend New York's east-west straight line border.

It's the Erie Triangle.  It's a small section of land that originally did not fall under the charters of either Pennsylvania or New York, but was claimed by Connecticut and Massachusetts.  All four claimed the land by the 1780s.  All four states surrendered their claims to the federal government.  The Feds then sold the land to Pennsylvania so that Pennsylvania could have Great Lakes access and have a boundary at Ellicott's Line, the current western boundary of Pennsylvania, instead of further west nearer Cleveland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Road Hog

Scott5114

Funnily enough, for anyone who isn't aware of the OK 20/AR 43 concurrency, the MO 43 sign is pointing into AR. Going northbound it's posted as MO-43 and southbound as AR-43. At no point does the concurrency enter MO though.

I sort of wonder if instead of being posted as a concurrency, the intent was for the non-OK stuff to be signed as a trailblazer, but someone at ODOT whiffed the installation.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 27, 2013, 04:46:41 PM
more generally - are there any State Line Roads which are not straight and an obvious result of a land apportionment survey?

State Line Rd in Darlington, PA is not completely straight due to the hilly terrain.  Much of its alignment is due to land apportionment survey (certainly the state line part and maybe other straight parts) but since the whole road isn't one straight line, it's not obvious. 

Every year on the Thursday following Labor Day, there's a good chance this road will experience a traffic jam as thousands arrive at Volleyball Superbowl.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

empirestate

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 27, 2013, 04:46:41 PM
more generally - are there any State Line Roads which are not straight and an obvious result of a land apportionment survey?

Well, there is a pretty extensive County Line Road marking the border between Union and Snyder counties in PA. It's nowhere near linear.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.