Complete NC 540 Project

Started by wdcrft63, March 27, 2018, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

cowboy_wilhelm

I'm not sure how a beltway 100 miles from the coast will serve as an additional hurricane evacuation route, but whatever. If you actually want to upgrade a hurricane evacuation route, maybe take the $417 million and start on the Kinston Bypass.

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on February 09, 2024, 05:21:10 PM
I'm not sure how a beltway 100 miles from the coast will serve as an additional hurricane evacuation route, but whatever. If you actually want to upgrade a hurricane evacuation route, maybe take the $417 million and start on the Kinston Bypass.
Traffic traveling inland along I-40 from Wilmington... traffic evacuating a Category 5 hurricane isn't going to travel 20 miles off the coast and call it a day in a lot of cases.

Also, it's a loan. It would be repaid by the tolls collected on NC-540. Unless you're suggesting US-70 Kinston Bypass should also be tolled.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 10, 2024, 10:50:07 AM
Traffic traveling inland along I-40 from Wilmington... traffic evacuating a Category 5 hurricane isn't going to travel 20 miles off the coast and call it a day in a lot of cases.

I support the completion of toll 540 overall but I do not see how the I-40 to I-87 segment would be needed as a hurricane evacuation route. Traffic wanting to bypass Raleigh can use the southern side of the beltway once it opens, and traffic wanting to get to I-87 can use either I-95 or the existing freeway route via I-40 and I-440.

And providing another Neuse River crossing was mentioned specifically... is there a lack of Neuse River crossings in Wake/Johnston Counties?

cowboy_wilhelm

All hurricane evacuation routes end at I-95. There isn't even a contraflow lane reversal plan for I-40. No one evacuating Carolina Beach is going to be the least bit relieved knowing that the southeastern corner of the 540 beltway from I-40 to US 64 was completed a few years earlier when it will take hours just to get out of New Hanover County.

Nothing has been mentioned about hurricane evacuation in any documentation for 540. These loans have been used for all of the other turnpike projects in the state. Why make stuff up for a project whose entire purpose has been to ease congestion from suburban sprawl?

The revenue source to repay the loan doesn't have to be from tolls, although that seems to be a popular method from the financed projects across the country.

architect77

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 10, 2024, 10:50:07 AM

Also, it's a loan. It would be repaid by the tolls collected on NC-540. Unless you're suggesting US-70 Kinston Bypass should also be tolled.

There is a evaculation route shield on US64 in Chatham County but it's for the Shearon-Harris Nuclear Power facility in Southern Wake County.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

LM117

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.