News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: nyratk1 on July 06, 2016, 09:57:11 PM
New reply to an old post but was it me or there was still a 1970s era Town of Brookhaven street sign at the corner of LI Avenue and what was Manor up until 15 years or so ago? Or was it just my dumb memory?
Honestly, I don't remember when it was taken down, and for all I know it could've been torn down by somebody who just wanted to steal a bunch of signs. I'm looking at a Google Street View image of the area, and not only is there no Manor Road sign on Long Island Avenue, there's no Munsells Road sign across from that either.

Max Rockatansky

If you decide to take a detour coming out of a National Park to see the progress of a highway rock shed that won't even open until 2020.

7/8

Going back on topic...

- A trip to CAA/AAA for new road maps is like Christmas morning :)
- Your friends and family call you the human GPS; this includes giving your mother directions at the age of 5 :-D
- You can draw a map of all the 2di's, and many of the 3di's too!
- AAroads forum and Google Maps are two of your most visited websites
- Wanting to go on trips for the main purpose of visiting new counties and new roads
- Believing that new highway projects or highway fonts make good conversation topics
- Bringing a camera with you on all your trips so you can take sign photos

thenetwork

When watching reruns of The Partridge Family. you can quickly tell which of the 3 road signs in their garage is real and which 2 are fake...

...and how did they know an I-73 would later be proposed for Ohio?

roadman

Quote from: thenetwork on July 17, 2016, 12:51:47 PM
When watching reruns of The Partridge Family. you can quickly tell which of the 3 road signs in their garage is real and which 2 are fake...
...and how did they know an I-73 would later be proposed for Ohio?
While watching reruns of The Partridge Family, you immediately notice, and can identity the legends on, LGS directional signs out the windows of the bus during scenes of conservations between family members.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

LM117

You post a response to a thread on AARoads forum about how you know you're a roadgeek while occupying the can.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

roadman

Quote from: LM117 on July 18, 2016, 03:38:48 PM
You post a response to a thread on AARoads forum about how you know you're a roadgeek while occupying the can.
It's not just roadgeeks who do this.  I've seen or heard many men talking on their cellphones while on the toilet or at the urinal.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

catch22

Quote from: 7/8 on July 16, 2016, 11:33:36 PM

- Your friends and family call you the human GPS; this includes giving your mother directions at the age of 5 :-D

That was me, growing up.  It started when I was 7 and my family was traveling from Michigan to South Carolina to visit my grandfather.  This was 1959, so it was mostly two-lane roads all the way.  My dad did all the driving and my mom was the navigator.  He pulls up to a T-intersection somewhere in North Carolina, and asks my mom, "Right or left?"  My mom peruses the map, says. "I'm not sure," and (I am not making this up) rotates the map 90 degrees so that east was at the top, stared at it for a bit, shook her head and said, "I'm not sure where we are."  My dad gives her "the look" then takes the map and hands it to me in the back seat.  I look at if for about 15 seconds and said, "Turn right, and then in about 7 miles you'll need to turn left."  I was the duly appointed family navigator from that point on until I went off to college.

Max Rockatansky

You collect road signs based off where you travel and have a story that can be recited right off the top of your head for each one.

hm insulators

You go to physical therapy to exercise your shoulder, and you set a timer for a certain length of time you use one of the machines. You catch a glimpse of the timer as it hit 2:10 and you think of I-210 in California.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

formulanone

Quote from: hm insulators on July 21, 2016, 07:02:19 PM
You go to physical therapy to exercise your shoulder, and...

...the first thing you think of is "that's only permitted during posted hours in the Boston area." :biggrin:

But yeah, I look at times and think of which route that might be.

sparker

You're driving with your GF from Atlanta to Disney World, and you're hoping she goes to sleep (she's prone to do this) before Lake City so you can detour east on I-10 to clinch the only part of that highway remaining for you (I-75 to I-95).  And when she does actually do so, you're hoping she doesn't wake up before you're well down I-95 so you can tell her "surprise -- we're having seafood in St. Augustine". knowing that a plate full of shrimp in front of her will compensate for many sins!

noelbotevera

At the age of 12, you hate the GPS and only use it whenever you go to sleep.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

D-Dey65

You see this tweet of a pretty girl with a horse, but you can't ignore the old-fashioned concrete road in the background, which is probably a private driveway today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCvceToTd1/

jbnati27

As a young teenager on the way back from Florida, your Dad is looking to you for directions. When asked for the best way back to I-75 after a stop in Tennessee, you tell him to turn right and go North on US 25W instead of the more direct left and South on US 25W. You do this just so you can see what US 25W looks like in North Tennessee.

Jmiles32

Have an obsession looking at roads on Google earth
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

paulthemapguy

Quote from: jbnati27 on September 19, 2016, 03:20:49 PM
As a young teenager on the way back from Florida, your Dad is looking to you for directions. When asked for the best way back to I-75 after a stop in Tennessee, you tell him to turn right and go North on US 25W instead of the more direct left and South on US 25W. You do this just so you can see what US 25W looks like in North Tennessee.

I kinda did this with my dad.  We took a road trip from the Chicago area to near Green Bay, Wisconsin.  On the way there, we took I-43, so I insisted we take I-41 on the way back.  Roughly the same travel time, but I refuse to backtrack over the same route whenever possible!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

GCrites

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 29, 2016, 02:20:26 AM

Most people wait until 18-21 to have trouble finding the bed

noelbotevera

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 28, 2016, 08:31:30 PM

Ok, I was kind of vague. I meant as in sleeping in the car when you're tired.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TheHighwayMan3561

People ask you to confirm the GPS directions as being the correct route.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 28, 2016, 10:42:33 PM

You frequently correct the GPS with BETTER routes by use of via points you know to be much better in real world driving.  :rolleyes:

kkt

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 28, 2016, 08:31:30 PM

:-D

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 28, 2016, 10:44:38 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 28, 2016, 10:42:33 PM

You frequently correct the GPS with BETTER routes by use of via points you know to be much better in real world driving.  :rolleyes:
I have been burned by this.. GPS took me the wrong way to avoid traffic back up from accident. I didn't have time to look at traffic conditions while driving

BigManFromAFRICA88

• You know off the top of your head that Exit 50 on I-15 in Nevada is Lamb Boulevard in Las Vegas, just because.
  • You see the control cities and road signs of the highways you've created in your imaginary country.
  • You knew how to get to the airport when you were three and all your cousins would, at every Thanksgiving dinner, have me recite how to get from my uncle's house to SLC Int'l.
  • You plan to get a dashcam with your Christmas money this year before you go off for college.

Max Rockatansky

You spend a significant time pondering over what rural roads should be signed county routes. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.