News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Yamamoto

Classical if I can find it,  Jazz, if not. Mostly I'm my own presenter.

XT1585

inkyatari

Most everything by Bon Jovi.

She's Like The Wind by Swayze

I'm sure there's more, but I'm drawing a blank.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

US 41

Perfect Illusion by Lady Gaga.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

JMoses24

I CANNOT stand dubstep. Anyone walks in my apartment playing that...whole lot of nope, not in my house!

epzik8

There are a couple of songs that came out back in 1988, "Waiting For a Star to Fall" and "Hands to Heaven" that are so lovey-dovey and sappy and I shudder every time they come on.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

I've got another! You know that song "Hot Hot Hot"? The guy from the New York Dolls sang that one. If you've seen the miniseries Vinyl you'll know that The Dolls were legendary. Then David Johansen sorta ruined his career by doing the Buster Poindexter thing. That song is so annoying!

Rothman

Quote from: epzik8 on October 17, 2016, 08:22:27 AM
Then David Johansen sorta ruined his career by doing the Buster Poindexter thing.

I'll go out on a limb and say that he earned far more money doing Buster Poindexter than he ever did with the New York Dolls (ended up in Scrooged, too).

There's a fun little documentary on Arthur Kane from the Dolls called New York Doll.  Gets into his complicated relationship with David Johansen.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

amroad17

^ You are absolutely correct!  :thumbsup:  It was about this time that I started to listen to more country music because of so much crappy pop/rock music.

Other "bad" songs from 1988...

- "Faith" by George Michael
     - "Wishing Well" by Terence Trent D'Arby
     - "Red Red Wine" by UB40
     - "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird Medley" by Will to Power

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

epzik8

I have yet another. Just yesterday morning, "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain came on my radio station. My deal with that song is the same as "Waiting For a Star to Fall" and "Hands to Heaven". All three of those songs happen to have saxophones in them, but that's not why I don't like those songs. It's just that I don't like adult contemporary-style love songs.

amroad17

I don't mind adult contemporary love songs as long as they aren't too "sappy."  However, there really isn't many of them ever recorded.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

I refuse to listen to "7 Years" by Lukas Graham or anything else they put out.  Just plain bad.  Same thing with "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" by Meghan Trainor (her duet with John Legend).  The latter is vastly overplayed, too.

I also dislike a good portion of Christmas music, especially before mid December.  It's all the radio stations play around that time, and it's all the same five or so songs, just covered by different artists.  My least favorite Christmas song, though, is Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" - ugh!  And it's overplayed by basically every radio station - even my favorite oldies station plays it frequently and it came out in 1994.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 09, 2014, 07:12:29 PM
"This Is How We Roll" by Florida-Georgia Line. It's the new theme song for the Sean Hannity show (he's friends with the group members) and I can't stand it.

I like Sean Hannity's show, but this song needs to be retired immediately.  I 100% agree with you.

The thing for me is that even though a song might be very poor in lyrical content (as is the case with most modern pop music), after a few listens in most cases I no longer dislike it and might actually listen to it willingly; a good example of this would be "Cake by the Ocean" by DNCE - surely everyone remembers that song from earlier this year.  The only problem is that this starts to happen when the song starts dropping in chart position, meaning the number of plays left is numbered.

The kind of music I like varies - there are some very good songs by the Beatles and others in the 1960s, and there are some good songs out now too (a good one from 2006 is "Apologize" by OneRepublic, but only this version - the remixed version they included on their album doesn't have the same charm, and Timbaland's version, which became a #2 hit in late 2007/early 2008, killed the bridge and added completely unnecessary grunting noises in the background).  Most of my favorite music is from the 1980s though, and it comprises a good mix of pop and rock songs.  My favorite song at the moment is "I Can't Drive 55" by Sammy Hagar - fitting for a roadgeek, isn't it? ;) :D
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Max Rockatansky

I despise "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas."  It isn't because of the lyrics of the song its because I find Gayla Peevey's voice extremely grating.  That song has been played repeatedly on TV for the past month and has really gotten on my nerves. 

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pete from Boston

Even though I understand it's the holidays and holiday music is played to excess, I really would love it if they would use the great variety out there and not constantly go back to the same handful of standards like this one

http://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 21, 2016, 06:25:41 PM
Even though I understand it's the holidays and holiday music is played to excess, I really would love it if they would use the great variety out there and not constantly go back to the same handful of standards like this one

http://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Ugh.  Well-played, sir, well-played.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 20160805 on December 21, 2016, 05:23:37 PM
I refuse to listen to "7 Years" by Lukas Graham or anything else they put out.  Just plain bad.  Same thing with "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" by Meghan Trainor (her duet with John Legend).  The latter is vastly overplayed, too.

"This Is How We Roll" by Florida-Georgia Line. It's the new theme song for the Sean Hannity show (he's friends with the group members) and I can't stand it.

I like Sean Hannity's show, but this song needs to be retired immediately.  I 100% agree with you.

The thing for me is that even though a song might be very poor in lyrical content (as is the case with most modern pop music), after a few listens in most cases I no longer dislike it and might actually listen to it willingly; a good example of this would be "Cake by the Ocean" by DNCE - surely everyone remembers that song from earlier this year.  The only problem is that this starts to happen when the song starts dropping in chart position, meaning the number of plays left is numbered.

Usually the lyrics are what ruins a song for me. (see "Cake by the Ocean" by DNCE, "Starving" by Hailee Steinfeld & Grey ft Zedd, "7 Years" and probably anything by Lukas Graham, anything by Meghan Trainor, Charlie Puth, Train, etc.)  Taylor Swift can seem to get away with mediocre lyrics for me at times though.

Having said that, this year has been so bad on the Hot 100 that good production makes up for a lot more than it usually does.  (this is the complete opposite for "Gold" from Kiiara, which has the hook basically have vocal effects of the verses)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 21, 2016, 08:14:20 PM
Quote from: 20160805 on December 21, 2016, 05:23:37 PM

Usually the lyrics are what ruins a song for me. (see "Cake by the Ocean" by DNCE, "Starving" by Hailee Steinfeld & Grey ft Zedd, "7 Years" and probably anything by Lukas Graham, anything by Meghan Trainor, Charlie Puth, Train, etc.)  Taylor Swift can seem to get away with mediocre lyrics for me at times though.

Having said that, this year has been so bad on the Hot 100 that good production makes up for a lot more than it usually does.  (this is the complete opposite for "Gold" from Kiiara, which has the hook basically have vocal effects of the verses)

I definitely think the lyrics can make or break a song.  A cheesy, lovey-dovey pop song probably won't do well in my rankings, regardless of the production or the beat.

In general, I do like Taylor Swift, but like many artists she has good songs and bad ones.  I like "I Knew You Were Trouble", and the version of "Bad Blood" without the rap is mega-catchy (though the version with the rap is terrible).  "New Romantics" is a good song through about 2:30 (correct me if I'm off on that), but the third verse falls flat; "Wildest Dreams" just plain isn't a very good song.  It seems a little too raunchy for her.

So you're definitely right: the lyrics are an important part of a song, just like production, beat, and even structure and length.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 20160805 on December 21, 2016, 09:03:37 PM
In general, I do like Taylor Swift, but like many artists she has good songs and bad ones.  I like "I Knew You Were Trouble", and the version of "Bad Blood" without the rap is mega-catchy (though the version with the rap is terrible).  "New Romantics" is a good song through about 2:30 (correct me if I'm off on that), but the third verse falls flat; "Wildest Dreams" just plain isn't a very good song.  It seems a little too raunchy for her.

Actually IMO, "Bad Blood" without the rap is her worst song.  For me, Kendrick Lamar saves the song despite Taylor's lackluster chorus. (especially the part where both perform the bridge)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 21, 2016, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: 20160805 on December 21, 2016, 09:03:37 PM

Actually IMO, "Bad Blood" without the rap is her worst song.  For me, Kendrick Lamar saves the song despite Taylor's lackluster chorus. (especially the part where both perform the bridge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTTVx--i3m0

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2016, 05:57:20 PM
I despise "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas."  It isn't because of the lyrics of the song its because I find Gayla Peevey's voice extremely grating.  That song has been played repeatedly on TV for the past month and has really gotten on my nerves.

I had never heard, or heard of, this song until it was used in the Grumpy Cat Christmas movie a couple of years ago. I was surprised to know it's been around forever.

Also, "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." It first got popular in 1983, about four years after it was originally released. I went to work right after I got out of college in December 1983 and the place where I worked could only pick up one radio station. That song was in heavy rotation and I grew to detest it even though everyone loved it then for its novelty.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2016, 02:03:44 PM

I had never heard, or heard of, this song until it was used in the Grumpy Cat Christmas movie a couple of years ago. I was surprised to know it's been around forever.

Also, "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." It first got popular in 1983, about four years after it was originally released. I went to work right after I got out of college in December 1983 and the place where I worked could only pick up one radio station. That song was in heavy rotation and I grew to detest it even though everyone loved it then for its novelty.

Isn't there a cartoon movie by the same where the Grandma gets run over, the family things she is dead but really she lost her memory and it turns out Santa was just keeping her in the North Pole the entire time?  I want to say the Nostalia Critic reviewed it or something, the closet hit-and-run abduction thing was unintentionally hilarious.

Edit:  Found the video...

US71

How do you feel about Bob Rivers "There's Something Up the Chimney" ?   :bigass:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on December 22, 2016, 07:14:16 PM

How do you feel about Bob Rivers "There's Something Up the Chimney" ?   :bigass:

Makes a wonderful title for a horror movie.  :-D

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2016, 02:03:44 PM

Most (not all) Christmas-y songs are OK the first couple times each year, but then they get old.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.