News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

America hasn’t seen a solar eclipse like this since the end of World War I

Started by ZLoth, August 22, 2016, 03:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Ars Technica:

America hasn't seen a solar eclipse like this since the end of World War I
QuoteSoon, the United States will have a chance to see an eclipse of our own (and assign cultural value as we please). Mark your calendars: the next total solar eclipse comes to the USA one year from today, on August 21, 2017.

Modern Americans probably don't know exactly what to make of a total solar eclipse–because most of them have never seen one. The last total solar eclipse in the contiguous United States, 37 years ago, only clipped the northwestern United States, mostly rural areas of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and North Dakota. According to Eclipse2017.org, the day of Feb. 28, 1979, was cold and dreary in the Northwest, and most people in the path of totality did not see the eclipse due to clouds and rain. The last eclipse to traverse much of the United States came all the way back in 1918, on June 8.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

If you're thinking of traveling to the path of totality to see it, make your hotel reservations now.  Many are already filling up.

Scott5114

I have relatives in Kansas City. I'm thinking about planning to go up there during the eclipse.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

No total eclipse for me until August 12, 2026, ten years from now. That day, my hometown will be just outside the totality path.

Next solar eclipse will be an annular one on September 1. The ring will cross Africa and Madagascar.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kkt on August 23, 2016, 03:57:24 PM
If you're thinking of traveling to the path of totality to see it, make your hotel reservations now.  Many are already filling up.

And you know it's gonna be a cloudy day and their year of waiting will be wasted.

Road Hog

I will be able to see the one in 2024 in my backyard. The one next year will be a day trip.

Chris

The path of the 2017 eclipse:

The High Plains should have a high chance of clear weather.

I experienced the 1999 solar eclipse in southern Germany. It's quite an experience, people amass outside, birds stop chirping and nature goes quiet as if it is nightfall. I would highly recommend to see it if you are able to.

The next opportunity is already in 2024, when a total eclipse will stretch across the U.S. again.

Jardine

I watched the '79 eclipse from just outside Roundup Montana.

The 'Eclipse Bus Caravan' was maneuvered during the night to be on site at the time of the  eclipse when a partial clearing in the clouds was expected to cross the same point.

As I recall, there were around 12 buses dispatched from the Huntley Lodge for the 400+ eclipse chasers for a VERY long bus ride to Roundup.

I realize for the purists any clouds at all are ungood, but for our site, it actually added an aesthetic touch as the moon's shadow approached and receded.  The various clouds at various distances were alternately illuminated and shadowed at different times during the ingress and egress stages.

I saw Baileys Beads, the diamond ring effect, and a hair more than 2 minutes of totality.  I don't quite recall what equipment the eclipse organizers had, but they could get weather service satellite pictures fast enough to route the caravan to the best place to see the eclipse.  Quite an achievement.

I'm sure the locals in Roundup Montana were surprised to see 400+ eclipse chasers turn up that day!

kkt

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 25, 2016, 08:04:45 AM
And you know it's gonna be a cloudy day and their year of waiting will be wasted.

No guarantees in astronomy.  However, there are statistics about where there are likely to be clear or cloudy days for every place on every day of the year, so you can play the odds.  That's what I did for the Transit of Venus in 2012 and the Transit of Mercury last spring, both successful.

Most people are making sure they have a car available, so on the day if driving 100 miles one way or the other would get to a sunny spot they can get there.  I've heard of some people making reservations two spots, even knowing they won't use one of them, so they can choose based on weather reports the day before.

Brandon

None necessary here.  If it's a clear day, I can drive 4 hours to be directly under it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Jardine

Yeah, easy trip for me to the center line, and I could head west along the track or east from the closest point to me if weather concerns arise.

Tried a year ago to get a group of friends together to watch with a 'save the date' plea and got no where.  Still, I don't mind going by myself.  Just would have been fun with the old gang.

mgk920

Quote from: Chris on August 25, 2016, 09:24:56 AM

The High Plains should have a high chance of clear weather.

I experienced the 1999 solar eclipse in southern Germany. It's quite an experience, people amass outside, birds stop chirping and nature goes quiet as if it is nightfall. I would highly recommend to see it if you are able to.

The next opportunity is already in 2024, when a total eclipse will stretch across the U.S. again.

The point of greatest eclipse is just a few km northwest of Hopkinsville, KY.

:nod:

OTOH, mark your calendars - southern and central Wisconsin gets totality on 2099-09-14!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_September_14,_2099

:cheers:

Mike

7/8

Southern Ontario will have its solar eclipse on April 8, 2024. I think I can wait 8 years, but clouds in April could be a problem :colorful:

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on August 25, 2016, 10:39:51 AM

None necessary here.  If it's a clear day, I can drive 4 hours to be directly under it.
Yet it's a friggen 7 hour drive to the closest point to where I would think you'd go.

6 hours otherwise if I go anywhere around I-35 (Cameron or St Joseph Mo)  12 hours of driving!  Might as well book a hotel in Des Moines
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Chris on August 25, 2016, 09:24:56 AM

Roll the dice and head to Portland, baby!  :awesomeface:

Even better, that track runs right thru Grand Teton National Park.  Boy that would be astounding to have a shot of that with the sharp peaks framing the eclipse.  :-o
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 28, 2016, 10:24:08 PM
Roll the dice and head to Portland, baby!  :awesomeface:

Portland?  Portland, Oregon??  You really do like rolling the dice.

SSOWorld

Maybe they'll redirect a bunch of flights (domestic ones - International ones that don't land will avoid since US Airspace is precious!!!!)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hm insulators

I've got friends that live near Branson, Missouri, and I'm planning to use their house as a base for seeing the eclipse.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Jim

I've not been in a total eclipse, but was able to be in prime position for an eclipse during grad school.  I'm guessing it was this annular one:

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/1994-may-10

It's just an odd experience.  The main thing I remember was how the color of the light didn't change as it dimmed, very much unlike a normal sunset.  Things just looked dimmer and almost fuzzy.  I certainly hope to be able to get into position next August.  Fortunately, we have some places we can stay with people near the path.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Rothman

Best eclipse trip I took was when my father took my siblings and me up to Vermont from Massachusetts to get the best view for the May 10, 1994 annular solar eclipse that crossed the U.S.  Great experience.

We stopped at a rest area on I-91 where others had gathered.  We had our makeshift pinhole projectors while other observers had welding glass and the like (I don't think anyone was using binoculars or anything like that to project the image of the Sun on the ground). 

What took me by surprise is that the light coming through the leaves of trees also created images of the eclipse being projected on the ground...as well as the temperature drop!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sparker

Looks like I'll be visiting the St. Louis cousins on my mom's side of the family next summer!  I've missed pretty much every eclipse in the past; don't intend on missing this one!  Backyard BBQ + fireflies (we don't have 'em in CA that I know of)+eclipse = a good time -- until the relatives start talking politics!

CNGL-Leudimin

An annular eclipse happened yesterday. The annulus (ring) crossed over Africa and Madagascar. Next one will be on February 26th, also an annular which will cross Patagonia and end at sunset over Africa, and then the one discussed here.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 29, 2016, 05:20:30 PM
Maybe they'll redirect a bunch of flights (domestic ones - International ones that don't land will avoid since US Airspace is precious!!!!)

Then you had the 1973 total solar eclipse over Africa where a preproduction Concorde flew along the eclipse route at Mach 2, extending the eclipse duration to something like 74 minutes for the astronomers on board.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

What about the early 70s eclipse visible in Nova Scotia mentioned in "You're So Vain" and I always thought it was the same eclipse in the Steven King story "Dolores Claiborne".. I have vague memories of a big deal about a total eclipse  up in New England when I was real little. I was born in 1970 BTW

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.