News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's the "real" name of…?

Started by empirestate, September 27, 2016, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on September 28, 2016, 06:48:27 PM
Used to live out in the "high desert" off I-15 north of Cajon Pass.  The three major incorporated cities there were commonly referred to (at least by locals) as:
(1) Victimville
(2) Hysteria
(3) Asshole Valley

I trust forum readers can easily interpolate the real town names (broad hint: between exits #141 and #161 on I-15).

As of 2012, when I moved away, no one had yet come up with a consistently used derogatory name for the fourth, and newest, city -- Adelanto.   

Not too far from there north of Palm Springs you have Dillon Road or rather more accurately known locally as the "Windmill Graveyard."  Seems there are a lot of body dumpings going on by the wind turbines.  :eyebrow:

Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2016, 01:53:52 PM
Q. The Camping World Stadium
A The Florida Citrus Bowl

Hell to me its the Toilet Bowl and should have been torn down instead of rebuilt.  But the city blackmailed us, and saying that we are not going to give you venues unless you build us or rehabilitate us a stadium.  Buddy Dyer kissed ass and made sure that we would rebuild and get us good events at the stadium instead of what most Orlando residents thought, that was give us good events now and then invest the tax dollars into refurbishing.

To me IMO, I feel its in a bad location and other areas around Orlando have better road and transit access and room for proper parking as this current place sucks for parking and even though its right off of the 408, nobody uses that road because unless you live due east or due west of town it does you no good anyway.  I do not know why they could not partnership with Disney and build a new Citrus Bowl on the Wide World of Sports Complex on WDW property that is fully accessible to I-4, Osceola Parkway, and even FL 417.

I always liked the "Toilet Bowl" moniker for Citrus Bowl.  It's basically just west of Parramore and OBT which is akin to a demilitarized zone.....or retreaded tire lot. 

SSOWorld

What were all the bowl games called before the sponsors came in and ruined them?

Hall of fame bowl
Tangerine Bowl

not to mention that the number of "bowl games" has grown by leaps and bounds. (but that's another topic in Sports)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

The one "sponsor named" bowl game name I thought worked well was the Blockbuster Bowl, named for said video rental chain. The name was exactly the right sort of name for a bowl game. Blockbuster pulled out when it was clear most of the major conferences would join the Bowl Coalition instead of sending their champions to the Blockbuster Bowl.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

In Jacksonville the "Napoleon Bonaparte Broward Bridge" on 295 east Beltway is universally known as Dames Point Bridge

John T Alsop Bridge is the Main Street Bridge

roadman

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 29, 2016, 04:38:16 AM
not to mention that the number of "bowl games" has grown by leaps and bounds. (but that's another topic in Sports)
Bowl games have become the college version of "Everybody gets a trophy" day.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

slorydn1

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 28, 2016, 09:25:55 AM
I have the urge to make a post referring to Bruce Jenner to be funny, but that could cause trouble because no doubt someone wouldn't find it funny.

I'm dying of laughter over here and you didn't even post it!

Oh yeah, the topic:

Q: US Cellular Field
A: New Comiskey Park
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

vdeane

Now I'm thinking about whether referring to the RFK Bridge as the Triboro Bridge is morally equivalent to referring to a transgender person by their birth name.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Q) Led Zeppellin IV?
A) (Nothing) It really never had a title and is just called it because it follows Led Zeppelin III

Q) The Beatles White Album
A)  The Beatles

Q) Genesis Mama Album
A) Genesis
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on September 29, 2016, 07:25:14 PM
Q) Led Zeppellin IV?
A) (Nothing) It really never had a title and is just called it because it follows Led Zeppelin III

A)  The Beatles

Q) Genesis Mama Album
A) Genesis

I think, like jeffandnicole, you may be taking "real name" a little too literally for purposes of this thread.

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2016, 09:08:34 PM
Q) Led Zeppellin IV?

A)  The Beatles

Q) Genesis Mama Album
A) Genesis

I think, like jeffandnicole, you may be taking "real name" a little too literally for purposes of this thread.

Yeah, seems like you've got it backwards. Everybody calls it "The White Album"; nobody calls it "The Beatles". "The Beatles" is its real name, but "The White Album" is its "real" name.

Make sense? :-)

roadman65

Quote from: empirestate on September 29, 2016, 10:35:09 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2016, 09:08:34 PM
Q) Led Zeppellin IV?

A)  The Beatles

Q) Genesis Mama Album
A) Genesis

Yeah, seems like you've got it backwards. Everybody calls it "The White Album"; nobody calls it "The Beatles". "The Beatles" is its real name, but "The White Album" is its "real" name.

Make sense? :-)
If I said the White Album, no one would know what I am talking about. 

The White Album is what its called, but the name in the catalogue is "The Beatles."   Its really a self titled album, but because they put no pictures on it, it got called that.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Q) Genesis Mama Album
A) Genesis

My brothers and I tended to say "Genesis Genesis"  for the sake of clarity.

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on September 30, 2016, 12:06:58 AM

Sure they would; that's what everybody calls it. That is, in fact, why it's the "real" name. It's actually a great example; in fact, it even makes for kind of a fun take on the thread format:

Q: ...The Beatles?
A: The White Album.
:-D

1995hoo

Quote from: empirestate on September 30, 2016, 01:29:58 AM

Sure they would; that's what everybody calls it. That is, in fact, why it's the "real" name. It's actually a great example; in fact, it even makes for kind of a fun take on the thread format:

I'd wager that more people recognize the reference "the White Album" than recognize "The Beatles" as an album name (as opposed to "the Beatles," with the lowercase article, as referring to a band, which everyone except maybe very little kids would recognize).

roadman

Q:  Tobin Bridge
A:  Mystic River Bridge
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

empirestate

Quote from: roadman on September 30, 2016, 09:08:42 AM

See, and I always heard that referred to as the Tobin Bridge.

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on September 30, 2016, 10:30:13 AM

iPhone

I'm with you on that one.  Tobin Bridge was the norm for me, although I grew up in western MA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2016, 10:34:50 AM

iPhone

I'm with you on that one.  Tobin Bridge was the norm for me, although I grew up in western MA.
Older signs along Storrow Drive and the Central Artery originally used MYSTIC BRIDGE.  I remember many traffic reporters during the late 70s referring to it as the Mystic-Tobin Bridge for a while.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DTComposer

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2016, 07:19:44 AM

I'd wager that more people recognize the reference "the White Album" than recognize "The Beatles" as an album name (as opposed to "the Beatles," with the lowercase article, as referring to a band, which everyone except maybe very little kids would recognize).

Isn't their official name "The Beatles" (which was on, for example, the bass drum, and how they're titled on albums and merchandise) and not just "Beatles", so it would in fact be a capital T?

That said, it's been the White Album to me and everyone I know as long as I have been aware of its existence.

1995hoo

Quote from: DTComposer on September 30, 2016, 11:31:11 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2016, 07:19:44 AM

Isn't their official name "The Beatles" (which was on, for example, the bass drum, and how they're titled on albums and merchandise) and not just "Beatles", so it would in fact be a capital T?

That said, it's been the White Album to me and everyone I know as long as I have been aware of its existence.

The standard grammatical/stylebook rule is that you do not capitalize the article in the context of things like rock band names and the like. Many newspapers follow an annoying rule where they capitalize "the" in their own names but not in other papers' (example: the Washington Post refers to itself as "The Washington Post" even in mid-sentence but will refer to its local competitor as "the Washington Times" in the same construction).

I know this led to an endless stupid edit war on Wikipedia among people who were fixated on the annoying Internet idea of something being "official." (I am unsure why many Internet users fixate so much on that word. I once saw a reference to an "official stadium site." Either it is the site or it isn't.)

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 30, 2016, 11:29:34 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2016, 10:34:50 AM

iPhone

Older signs along Storrow Drive and the Central Artery originally used MYSTIC BRIDGE

When the Upper Deck of I-93 was opened, the legends on the replacement BGSes on the Charles River Crossing were changed to read 'Charlestown Revere', with no reference to the bridge.  Tobin Bridge didn't appear until the current signing on Storrow Drive, the Leverett Connector, and the Zakim Bridge and O'Neill Tunnel was installed as part of the Big Dig project.
I remember many traffic reporters during the late 70s referring to it as the Mystic-Tobin Bridge for a while.
"Mystic-Tobin Bridge" was also the term used by MassDPW when referring to the bridge for many years.  For some reason, MassPort took extreme exception to this and made a concerted effort beginning in 1985 to get local traffic reporters and others to refer to "Tobin Bridge."

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on September 30, 2016, 12:11:20 PMWhen the Upper Deck of I-93 was opened, the legends on the replacement BGSes on the Charles River Crossing were changed to read 'Charlestown Revere', with no reference to the bridge.
There was one old BGS' along Storrow Drive that read NORTH STATION-MYSTIC BRIDGE until the mid-to-late 80s when the MDC replace all the old signage (except for the infamous REVERSE CURVE BGS).

Along the approach ramps to the Artery the signs for the I-93/US 1 Northbound ramp read CHARLESTOWN-MYSTIC BRIDGE until either 1989 or 1990 when the DPW slapped on TOBIN BRIDGE masks on the MYSTIC BRIDGE legends.   Those BGS' remained until the Big Dig project tore down those double-decker ramps.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 30, 2016, 01:21:47 PM
Quote from: roadman on September 30, 2016, 12:11:20 PMWhen the Upper Deck of I-93 was opened, the legends on the replacement BGSes on the Charles River Crossing were changed to read 'Charlestown Revere', with no reference to the bridge.
There was one old BGS' along Storrow Drive that read NORTH STATION-MYSTIC BRIDGE until the mid-to-late 80s when the MDC replace all the old signage (except for the infamous REVERSE CURVE BGS).

Along the approach ramps to the Artery the signs for the I-93/US 1 Northbound ramp read CHARLESTOWN-MYSTIC BRIDGE until either 1989 or 1990 when the DPW slapped on TOBIN BRIDGE masks on the MYSTIC BRIDGE legends.   Those BGS' remained until the Big Dig project tore down those double-decker ramps.
Mostly correct.  The replacement mainline signs on the upper deck of the bridge over the Charles River, which went in after the I-93 upper deck was opened to traffic in 1973, read "Charlestown Revere".  In late 1987, Charlestown was greened out with a blank panel when the slip ramp just before entering the Tobin Bridge northbound was closed under Phase 1 of the CANA project, but the modified signs remained until the Central Artery was demolished.

roadman65

Not the youngsters of today.  Well, some of them.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 30, 2016, 01:21:47 PM

I remembered when I was in Boston as a kid, it used US 1 North to Chelsea instead of the current Tobin Bridge.  In fact the bridge had a different name then and I believe it was the Mystic River Bridge.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.