News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alliterative auto model and make

Started by lepidopteran, December 05, 2016, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

How many instances are there of cars with alliterative marque and model names?

Examples:
Chevy Chevette
Toyota Tercel

Otto Yamamoto

Ford Fiesta
Ford Fairmont
Ford Falcon
Ford Fairlane
Dodge Durango

XT1254

Max Rockatansky

Dodge Dart and Dodge Demon come to mind off the top my head.  Plymouth Prowler also now that I think about it. 

1995hoo

Mazda Miata
Ariel Atom
Tucker Torpedo
Mercury Marauder
Chrysler Concorde

If SUVs count:

Bentley Bentayga
Mitsubishi Montero

Honorable mention: Ford Fiso
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

coatimundi

Chrysler Concorde
Nissan Nevada

Yeah, I guess alliteration isn't too popular.

1995hoo

jakeroot

Quote from: coatimundi on December 05, 2016, 07:53:09 PM
Nissan Nevada

Nevada? Or Navara? :-D

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra
Ford Fusion
Chrysler Crossfire

jp the roadgeek

Ford Five-Hundred
Chevy Chevelle
Plymouth Prowler
Lexus LS (#)
Saturn SL- (#)

Two that I'm shocked weren't mentioned
                 Chevy Camaro
                 Chevy Corvette

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

lepidopteran

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on December 05, 2016, 06:39:09 PM
Ford Fiesta
Ford Fairmont
Ford Falcon
Ford Fairlane
XT1254

There was also a variant on the Fairmont called the Futura.  Check out this awesome sci-fi themed commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RJgEh9aHs

Takumi

Ford Focus
Honda HR-V
Lexus LX
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Chevrolet

-  Cruze
-  Caprice
-  Camaro
-  Corvette
-  City Express
-  Colorado
-  Classic
-  Captiva
-  Combo
-  Calibra
-  Cassia
-  Cavalier
-  Celta
-  Chevair
-  Chevelle
-  Chevette
-  Citation
-  Commodore
-  Cobalt
-  Corsa
-  Corsica
-  Corvair

There is even more if you dig into the super obscure overseas stuff.  I thought about counting the "Chevy II" AKA Nova.  For some reason "Chev" and "Vair" were popular with the mix of Chevy naming conventions. 

coatimundi

Quote from: jakeroot on December 05, 2016, 08:59:37 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on December 05, 2016, 07:53:09 PM
Nissan Nevada

Nevada? Or Navara? :-D

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra
Ford Fusion
Chrysler Crossfire

I guess auto-correct doesn't know that one.

Takumi

Toyota Toyoace
Honda Horizon (a rebadged Isuzu Trooper, which we got in the US as the Acura SLX)
Subaru Sambar
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2016, 09:59:27 PM
Chevrolet

-  Cruze
-  Caprice
-  Camaro
-  Corvette
-  City Express
-  Colorado
-  Classic
-  Captiva
-  Combo
-  Calibra
-  Cassia
-  Cavalier
-  Celta
-  Chevair
-  Chevelle
-  Chevette
-  Citation
-  Commodore
-  Cobalt
-  Corsa
-  Corsica
-  Corvair

There is even more if you dig into the super obscure overseas stuff.  I thought about counting the "Chevy II" AKA Nova.  For some reason "Chev" and "Vair" were popular with the mix of Chevy naming conventions. 

You don't even have to get very obscure at all to come up with the Chevrolet Chevy. Just across our southern border, it was the variant of the Opel Corsa. We rented one on our honeymoon in 2006.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

corco

Plymouth Prowler
Dodge Dynasty
Toyota Toyopet
Mercury Meteor
Mitsubishi Mirage
Ford Figo
Ford Fusion
Mercury Montego
Mercury Monterey
Mercury Milan
BMW Bavaria
Volkswagen Vento
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Tacoma
Pontiac Parisienne
Oldsmobile Omega
Opel Omega
Vauxhall Vivaro
Fiat Freemont
Dodge Dakota

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2016, 09:59:27 PM
Chevrolet

-  Cruze
-  Caprice
-  Camaro
-  Corvette
-  City Express
-  Colorado
-  Classic
-  Captiva
-  Combo
-  Calibra
-  Cassia
-  Cavalier
-  Celta
-  Chevair
-  Chevelle
-  Chevette
-  Citation
-  Commodore
-  Cobalt
-  Corsa
-  Corsica
-  Corvair

A lot of these aren't alliterations - alliterations are rhyming first letters (ch), not same first letters.

Max Rockatansky

True, still weird how some brands use the first letter of the make up as the first letter of the model.  Ford was infamous for using "F" in a ton of cars as well.  I seem to call that alliterative names are commonly used because it's easier for the average car buyer to remember them, thus making whatever said vehicle happens to be stick in their mind more.  Essentially a form of subliminal advertising I suppose.  The Europeans makers were big on using letter combinations of numbers in a similar manner such as the "3" Series or "C" Class.  The really interesting thing is that Cadillac aside from making better products really saw their image rebound significantly after adopting a European model naming convention.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 06, 2016, 12:24:50 AM
True, still weird how some brands use the first letter of the make up as the first letter of the model.  Ford was infamous for using "F" in a ton of cars as well.  I seem to call that alliterative names are commonly used because it's easier for the average car buyer to remember them, thus making whatever said vehicle happens to be stick in their mind more.  Essentially a form of subliminal advertising I suppose.  The Europeans makers were big on using letter combinations of numbers in a similar manner such as the "3" Series or "C" Class.  The really interesting thing is that Cadillac aside from making better products really saw their image rebound significantly after adopting a European model naming convention.

Both Benz and BMW have done spectacularly well with their 3-digit model designations; so much so that not only Cadillac but Chrysler (even pre-Benz involvement) tried adopting that idiom (e.g., Chrysler 300), but with limited success.  Perhaps the "mainstream" US market is more inured to names, alliterative & otherwise, with the numerical designation suggestive of upscale ambition -- a tricky prospect, given the sociopolitical mood of the country these days!

But the top-selling vehicle's designation is a combination of the alliterative (although barely) & numerical -- the F-150 Ford pickup.  But I think that one can be chalked up to coincidence -- it'd sell well regardless of what it was called!   

CNGL-Leudimin

Ferrari F-#.

Although several ones had different names. The F-60 is actually Enzo Ferrari, and the F-70 is LaFerrari.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2016, 01:43:49 AM

Both Benz and BMW have done spectacularly well with their 3-digit model designations; so much so that not only Cadillac but Chrysler (even pre-Benz involvement) tried adopting that idiom (e.g., Chrysler 300), but with limited success.  Perhaps the "mainstream" US market is more inured to names, alliterative & otherwise, with the numerical designation suggestive of upscale ambition -- a tricky prospect, given the sociopolitical mood of the country these days!

But the top-selling vehicle's designation is a combination of the alliterative (although barely) & numerical -- the F-150 Ford pickup.  But I think that one can be chalked up to coincidence -- it'd sell well regardless of what it was called!

Nowadays it's all about numbers indicating the duty level for your truck domestically.  If the truck starts with 15 then it's light duty, 25 is standard heavy duty, and then the higher you go the specialized it gets.  GM and Chrysler like to use four digits (example: 1500) while Ford is using the current three digit thing like you said.  The weird thing is that the they all have names proceeding the number or a letter designation like the "F" series.

I really thought Chrysler should have just kept going down the line of letters once the 300 came back.  The 05 model should have been the 300N when it came back and the current generation from 2011 onwards the Chrysler 300O...or P to avoid confusion.  There was plenty of letters to keep the gravy train rolling for awhile, especially when it looks like the 300 won't be continued when the LX platform cars are replaced.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on December 06, 2016, 09:19:36 AM
From the 1970s - Chevy Caprice/Buick Century/Pontiac LeMans
Nope, based on what the OP's asking for.

From the 1980s - Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz
Nope (the OP's asking model name and make, not 2 model names).

From the 1990s - Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique
Yes, for the Mystique, no for the Contour.

A few more, not already mentioned:

Mercury Marquis
Mercury Monarch
Mercury Mountaineer
Mercury Mariner
Oldsmobile Omega
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

I would not count Chevy Corvette, Camaro, or Caprice. Chevette or Chevelle, yes, since it's the "sh-" sound that creates the alliteration. The first three examples aren't alliterative because the make (Chevy) has the "sh-" while the model (e.g., Corvette) has the "k-" sound.

Chevy Chase, as in the actor, the place in Maryland, the traffic circle, or the former bank, is an exception to the above, unless you're a West Virginia University football radio announcer. (They referred to said name as though it were a car, that is, phonetically "Shevy Chase," when WVU played at Maryland's Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium a few years ago.)

hbelkins

Saturn Sky. I really liked that short-lived Saturn convertible.

Saturn's original line was SL (for sedan) or SC (for coupe).

I had a Saturn SC2. My wife had a Saturn SL2.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2016, 01:43:49 AM

http://www.seattletimes.com/news/abcs-of-why-car-names-are-now-letters-and-numbers/

http://jacksonville.com/autos/2014-11-07/story/malcolm-hogan-what-car-name-letters-numbers-rule

And I recall a story someplace about what letters and numbers sound sexy and important.  You probably won't find too many "W" models out there, for example.  Obviously there's VW, but get beyond that and what does "W" remind you of?  Wagon maybe?  Even when crossovers were being made, they steered away from calling them any sort of Wagon as much as possible, or tagged on something sexier-sounding to wagon.

sparker

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 07, 2016, 01:00:11 PM

And I recall a story someplace about what letters and numbers sound sexy and important.  You probably won't find too many "W" models out there, for example.  Obviously there's VW, but get beyond that and what does "W" remind you of?  Wagon maybe?  Even when crossovers were being made, they steered away from calling them any sort of Wagon as much as possible, or tagged on something sexier-sounding to wagon.

"W" is the only letter that's 3 syllables ("double-U"); for that reason the use of it as a model designator can come off, ad-wise, as a bit clumsy.   I suppose its relationship with "wagon" (the 50's & 60's predecessor to the now-ubiquitous minivan, which, fairly or not, is often perceived as denoting a testosterone-free zone -- not a selling point to a large portion of potential buyers) is at least a contributing factor to its general non-usage. 

And Max -- you are absolutely correct in your denotation of the pickup truck model numbers indicating levels of duty -- 150/1500, 250/2500, etc.  I guess my old Dodge Ram 50, which I used for nearly 18 years, reflects, with its model # implying a 05 duty rating; i.e., a "super-light-duty" (compact) vehicle.  I probably exceeded that implied rating for much of its 350,000+ mile lifespan (like most Mitsubishi-made cars and trucks I've encountered, eventually its over-complex electrical system failed); I basically beat the shit out of the little truck -- at least 40 round trips from either L.A. or the Bay Area to Portland and/or Seattle, and 4 years of living in Portland in the early '90's.  I think I got fair usage out of the thing!   

1995hoo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.