News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wild Flowers along Highways

Started by BigMattFromTexas, April 18, 2010, 08:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

I recently went to Ivie Reservoir about 45 minutes out of Angelo, I got mainly pictures of Bluebonnets(Texas' state flower) I got some along the highway, I used a black hoodie to stop the glare, but some pictures taken across the windshield  :ded:. So I'll show y'all them whenever I upload them. Anyone else got any pics of wild flowers along roads? Heres some of the one I like the most.
*Glare*
*No glare*
*No photoshop*
*Cool looking*
*IDK what the yellow one is*

Thats it for now, heres the link to the rest of em. *WARNING* There are some with HORRIBLE glares, those were taken across the windshield... Anyways hope you enjoy, please post some of your own pics of wildflowers along highways if you have any, and want to do so...
Link: http://picasaweb.google.com/bigmatt30000/WildFlowers?feat=directlink
BigMatt

Mergingtraffic

I was just going to post about this.  In CT and NY there are signs next to wild flowers stating they are just that and not to pick or mow them.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

BigMattFromTexas

^They have those, actually right down the street from me, but not along highways here...
BigMatt

realjd

Because of Lady Bird Johnson, Texas as those wildflowers along many of the highways. Not many other states do it to the same extent.

hm insulators

A few weeks ago, I took a hike near Superior, Arizona and US 60 between Apache Junction and Florence Junction was lined with wildflowers.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

burgess87

The Rochester, NY area has several wildflower areas with signs that say "Monroe County in Bloom".  Makes sense - Rochester is the "Flower City".

mightyace

Quote from: realjd on April 19, 2010, 09:52:19 AM
Because of Lady Bird Johnson, Texas as those wildflowers along many of the highways. Not many other states do it to the same extent.

Probably not, though I do remember seeing numerous wildflower signs along I-80 in PA when I was growing up.  Of course, given the heavily rural nature of the territory that I-80 passes through, there are plenty of wildflowers that grow near the right of way anyhow.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

njroadhorse

I once saw wildflowers along an on-ramp to NJ 440 from the Garden State Parkway near Perth Amboy.  Darndest place for them too, because they were smacked between the highway and an apartment complex, and still could not be picked.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

xcellntbuy

Large areas of wildflowers are planted in the median of Interstate 81 in Virginia and Interstate 77 in North Carolina.  I was always told that the surcharge for personalized license plates in North Carolina was used for wildflowers.

Ian

A lot of areas on the New York Thruway aswell as many rural Pennsylvania interstates have wild flowers in the medians.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

BigMattFromTexas

Theres actually alot in urban Angelo, when I went to San Antonio a couple weeks ago, they were along Anderson Loop, not so much on 10 and 410 East, but I just like photography so thats why I took the pics...
BigMatt

deathtopumpkins

VDOT likes to plant them in the ROW at some interchanges (I-64 at Northampton Blvd in Norfolk comes to mind). I find that any natural beauty of them is countered by the presence of a "WILDFLOWERS - DO NOT MOW!" sign every 10 feet :|
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Brandon

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 21, 2010, 01:15:53 PM
VDOT likes to plant them in the ROW at some interchanges (I-64 at Northampton Blvd in Norfolk comes to mind). I find that any natural beauty of them is countered by the presence of a "WILDFLOWERS - DO NOT MOW!" sign every 10 feet :|

Illinois uses something similar, but instead of wildflowers, we plant prairie plants (native flowers and grasses).  Most interchanges have a sign in each quadrant stating, "PRAIRIE PLANTS - DO NOT MOW".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

BigMattFromTexas

I took well over 100 pictures of bluebonnets and Lake Stamford, but I was deleting old pictures and I accidentally pressed delete all, and so all of them are gone, but i took 42 then my camera DIED, so yeah, I was p***ed...
BigMatt

agentsteel53

if you hit "delete all" by accident, you may be able to recover the pictures.  A camera card (or, really, any other storage element) does not physically delete the data, overwriting it with all zeroes or something.  It simply removes the file from the list of files, and marks the space as unallocated - the data is only gone when the space is reused.

if you put the card in your computer, you may get software that does an un-delete for you.  But you gotta do it immediately after the errant operation - writing any more images will start hosing the deleted ones.

a quick google search reveals this: http://www.flashundelete.com/

that's 49 bucks - I'm sure a free option is out there with more searching.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

74/171FAN

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 21, 2010, 01:15:53 PM
On VA 36 at the I-295 interchange there are actually signs thanking VDOT for the wildflowers in both directions.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jeffandnicole

Bringing this topic back to life (heh) from a long hiatus...

Saw this notice on my NJ EZ Pass Statement I received yesterday:

Bring the beautiful gardens you admire on the Gardens State Parkway right to your own back yard.  The Annual and Perennial mixes are available on-line at - www.gspwildflowers.com . Plant now and enjoy all season...

(Bold, Italics and the extra S on Garden all written as shown on the statement)

The website sells the wildflowers for $9.99 per 1/4 lb bag.  The annuals are best planted in the spring; the perennials no later than Labor Day, so the advertisement for these flowers came kinda late to make use of this year.  But it was interesting to see it is available for purchase.

hotdogPi

I've seen people picking sunflowers in the median on I-93 near Franconia Notch, with their cars parked off to the side.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on September 11, 2018, 11:44:55 AM
I've seen people picking sunflowers in the median on I-93 near Franconia Notch, with their cars parked off to the side.

I've seen that too. Especially fun in early October when you combine the leaf-peepers, so you can experience the fun 65-to-0 braking needed when some moron parks half in the left lane to pick wildflowers during traffic conditions already filled with people not paying attention.

The hot spot is between exits 32-33. Combine that with the people who park on the highway near exit 31 to take pics as well of foliage.

[/rant]

english si

When you say 'wild flowers' do you mean flowers just left to grow without intervention, or do you mean deliberately sown mixed seeds from local flowers done in a deliberately haphazard way.

Because it strikes me that, round here at least, it tends to mean the latter. There's a difference between a patch of land left to grow, and where we'd talk about wild flowers. The latter have much more colour, and far fewer grasses, nettles and brambles.

My town is going for winning the 'town' category in 'Britain in Bloom' and has been doing all sorts of elaborate formal displays across the town for years, but along one main road on the edge of town, the verge is a display of wild flowers, sown 5 or 6 years ago now, and densely enough that weeds don't have room to get in the way. The other stuff is cool, but the colour and simplicity make the wild flowers my favourite single piece of the whole.

txstateends

Some flowers are wild, popping up on their own.  Others are seed-planted flowers that usually occur 'wild'ly or at least scattered around along or near highway ROWs.  TX has a mixture.  Thankfully a pioneer with foresight named Lady Bird came along to give us all an alternative to cement/pavement/billboards everywhere.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

mrcmc888

I-140 in Tennessee is lined with wildflowers along both sides for most of its length.  There are huge signs put up that proscribe criminal penalties for anyone caught picking the flowers.  I can't imagine anyone's been prosecuted for that before as Knoxville police are barely bothered to even catch speeders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.