News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I would imagine do. was replaced by the use of " with the same meaning. I have seen " referred to as "ditto marks" when used in this way. Even that practice seems to be on the way out, since many forms these days are either based on spreadsheets and have a built-in autocomplete that way, or if the repeated content is always the same, gets auto-populated when the first field is filled out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 15, 2014, 11:16:03 AMback in the 1930's it was often abbreviated "do." and used as a field filler in tables laid out by typewriter--a practice that has now completely vanished.

I've seen " used in such a context.  (not quoting it, as would be proper, as """, while technically correct, is damn near incomprehensible in the Who's On First sense.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I first came across do. in old ICC reports and had to puzzle it out.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: cjk374 on December 29, 2013, 12:38:28 AM
You may be a bit aged if you remember Liquid Paper (instead of today's correction ribbon) & the high you got everytime you opened the bottle to use it.   :ded:

So, who can name the notable son of the inventor of liquid paper and what business did he start using the royalties he inherited from that invention?

roadman65

I am starting to feel old for remembering the compact disc or even the floppy disc LOL!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US81

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 15, 2014, 04:34:09 PM
You may be a bit aged if you remember Liquid Paper (instead of today's correction ribbon) & the high you got everytime you opened the bottle to use it.   :ded:

So, who can name the notable son of the inventor of liquid paper and what business did he start using the royalties he inherited from that invention?

Aw, don't Monkee around with us!

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on March 15, 2014, 05:55:44 PM
I am starting to feel old for remembering the compact disc or even the floppy disc LOL!

Ah, but do you remember the 5 1/4" and 8" floppies?  DECtape?  Paper tape?  Reel to reel tape?
Winchester removable disc packs?

sammi

Quote from: kkt on March 19, 2014, 02:16:07 AM
Ah, but do you remember the 5 1/4" and 8" floppies?
I have a lot of floppy disks still, have some really old stuff on there. I've used the 3½", and I've seen the 5¼", but not the 8".

vtk

When I was a kid, I once had an issue with the 3½" drive failing, and I wanted to install a game.  So I used another computer to copy the install files to a 5¼" disk and installed from that.  (All our computers in the house at that time had a 3½" drive as A: and a 5¼" drive as B: .  Kids, this is why your main hard drive is C: !)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

BamaZeus

Quote from: US81 on March 16, 2014, 11:05:22 AM

And whatever you do, don't kill any radio stars!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: BamaZeus on March 19, 2014, 11:49:10 AM
Quote from: US81 on March 16, 2014, 11:05:22 AM

And whatever you do, don't kill any radio stars!

Okay, now you have me curious — what does Mike Nesmith have to do with "Video Killed the Radio Star"?

renegade

"Video Killed The Radio Star" was the first music video aired on MTV.

What was the second video aired?
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

spooky

Quote from: renegade on March 19, 2014, 03:13:16 PM
"Video Killed The Radio Star" was the first music video aired on MTV.

What was the second video aired?

I want to say it was "You Better Run" by Pat Benatar. it was definitely in that first hour.

amroad17

^You would be correct!  However, I do not know what the third video was.  Probably something from Rod Stewart, Queen, or one of those other foreign artists since they seemed to do those "video promos" before many American artists did.

Yes, I used the phrase "video promos".  Kids (and younger adults) would not know what I was talking about.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Pete from Boston

I bet Hilly Michaels made it into the first day somewhere. So much for getting in on the ground floor.

kkt

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 20, 2014, 02:41:24 PM
I bet Hilly Michaels made it into the first day somewhere. So much for getting in on the ground floor.

There is, of course, a Wikipedia page about the first plays on MTV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_music_videos_aired_on_MTV

Hilly Michaels "Calling All Girls" played 93rd.

amroad17

Hey, I was correct!  It was Rod Stewart.

I see a couple of Chicago-area acts (Styx and REO Speedwagon) had a couple of their videos played that first day.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Brian556

I thought the second video was "Take It On The Run" by REO Speedwagon

formulanone

This whole "dawn of MTV" thing has me wondering...were that many people eagerly staying tuned at midnight to see it? Seems like every American over the age of 40 swears to have seen it broadcast live, which cannot possibly be the case due to cable's total lack of ubiquity at the time.

I was just 7 at the time, although I'd see MTV as a curiosity at the local pizza place, since we didn't get cable TV until a few years later.

Quote from: vtk on March 19, 2014, 11:07:40 AM
When I was a kid, I once had an issue with the 3½" drive failing, and I wanted to install a game.  So I used another computer to copy the install files to a 5¼" disk and installed from that.  (All our computers in the house at that time had a 3½" drive as A: and a 5¼" drive as B: .  Kids, this is why your main hard drive is C: !)

Having grown up with a PC without a C: drive (just a single floppy drive), I always felt B: got no respect, unless you copied files.

In the past few years, A: has been pretty much consigned to history (or my kids computer).

Pete from Boston

I had MTV around its launch, but I didn't see its start.  I did see the much less exciting dawn of M2 in 1996 or so, with Beck's "Where It's At," then I think Pavement's "Cut Your Hair," and soon after "Plantman" by Gary Young.  I knew at the time that remembering this would be useless, but like I said, I missed the first one.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kkt on March 19, 2014, 02:16:07 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 15, 2014, 05:55:44 PM
Ah, but do you remember the 5 1/4" and 8" floppies?  DECtape?  Paper tape?  Reel to reel tape?

5 1/4" floppy disks in the IBM PC and other 1981-1991 computers?  Yes.

8" floppy disks?  Yes.  Only in peripheral devices attached to IBM mainframe computers.

DECTape?  No.  Never heard of it.

Paper Tape? Yes.  Used in obsolete minicomputers (Modcomp and Varian) and obsolete mainframe computers (Xerox Sigma series) when I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland in the 1970's.

Reel-to-Reel tape?  Yes.

Yes - but.  "Winchester" disks were a common name for non-removable disk drive units with sealed HDA (head disk assembly) units, such as the IBM Model 3340 disk drive and later the 3350 disk drive.

Removable disk packs?  Yes - IBM Model 3330-style in several configurations, up to about 200 MB per spindle (a lot of space at the time); and IBM-2314 disk drives (older, lower capacity technology).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

M3019C LPS20

I remember "DONT WALK" and "WALK" and traffic signals that used only red and green signal indications.

SSOWorld

Take a stroll through Central Park and you'll find some of those.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cjk374

How about 8-track tapes?  I still own 2 stereos that still play them!   :wow:

Some of you youngens may not remember this beautiful disaster:   X-(

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Tom958

I had a stereo that could record 8 track tapes! I found the click when changing tracks to be much less obtrusive than the fade out/fade in they put on prerecorded tapes.

I was working on a huge expansion of Coke's headquarters in Atlanta when the new Coke came out. Unsurprisingly, someone wrote, "THE NEW COKE -->" in the porta potty, with the arrow pointed at the urilnal.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.