News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 02, 2014, 05:24:14 PM
... you become upset if

> a sign is removed.

... near your house.

On the other hand, you should be happy if that sign was orange. :sombrero:

Molandfreak

Quote from: sammi on March 02, 2014, 05:31:36 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 02, 2014, 05:24:14 PM
... you become upset if

> a sign is removed.

... near your house.

On the other hand, you should be happy if that sign was orange. :sombrero:
  :bigass:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

sammi

Oh man I totally forgot about Flahrida. Let me try again.

* black and orange.

74/171FAN

if you go to a presentation and notice the road signs in any photo despite the fact the presentation has little to do with roads.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

formulanone

If a self-proclaimed "transit geek" sees you taking many photos of roads, signs, and the like...while said person is also taking photos of the transit, rail, and road system at the same place and time. :)

(Yup, finally happened.)

bulldog1979

... you run across a crossword puzzle clue of "Musial of the Cardinals" with a four-letter answer and you can reply STAN based on a bridge. I actually had this happen on the New York Times crossword puzzle app after attending the St. Louis meet this weekend. I didn't know he was a Cardinal though.

iPad

CentralCAroadgeek

...when you end up digging roads in the sand every time you go to the beach.

vtk

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on March 17, 2014, 06:39:22 PM
...when you end up digging roads in the sand every time you go to the beach.

I once made a 50s-style 4-way spaghetti junction with a rest area accessible to and from all directions on Clearwater Beach.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

J N Winkler

Quote from: formulanone on March 03, 2014, 02:52:54 PMIf a self-proclaimed "transit geek" sees you taking many photos of roads, signs, and the like...while said person is also taking photos of the transit, rail, and road system at the same place and time. :)

(Yup, finally happened.)

Happened to me in Berlin in 2008--and the other person was a she.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

yakra

Driftwood comes in handy for overpasses, and the right kind of seaweed can stand in for a BGS.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: formulanone on March 03, 2014, 02:52:54 PM
If a self-proclaimed "transit geek" sees you taking many photos of roads, signs, and the like...while said person is also taking photos of the transit, rail, and road system at the same place and time. :)

(Yup, finally happened.)

I'm both a roadgeek and a transit geek :-P
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

sammi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 19, 2014, 10:01:41 AM
I'm both a roadgeek and a transit geek :-P
Same! :sombrero: Especially a fan of subways. (But not as much as Ford.)

vtk

I'm a geek of pretty much all forms of transportation infrastructure, but there are just a lot more roads than anything else.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

pianocello

...you see in someone's Facebook post the word "LIE" in all caps for emphasis, and automatically think he's talking about the Long Island Expressway.

(which is weird, because I have no ties to New York, and AFAIK this particular poster doesn't either)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Tom958

If you habitually get in the correct lane way too soon because you've memorized the lane configuration of every freeway within 300 miles.

Or, if you occasionally get in the wrong lane because you're thinking of how the road ahead should be instead of how it actually is.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Tom958 on March 28, 2014, 10:04:19 AM
If you habitually get in the correct lane way too soon because you've memorized the lane configuration of every freeway within 300 miles.
This could also work for 4-lane divided highways too.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

pianocello

...If you are on a road trip with a couple classmates and your driver gives you the GPS to "proofread" the route, you notice that it's not necessarily the best way to get to your destination, but you decide to go with it anyway so you can clinch another state route.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

D-Dey65

Quote from: bing101 on January 22, 2014, 01:16:41 PM
You are a roadgeek when your intoxicated passengers accuse you of being a CHP officer because you have a dashboard camera to produce a freewayjim style video.
I would love to do that. It's too bad though that a drive along the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel lasts longer than "Go Coastal," by Velocity Girl, because that song would be perfect for the drive.

hotdogPi

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 18, 2014, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 22, 2014, 01:16:41 PM
You are a roadgeek when your intoxicated passengers accuse you of being a CHP officer because you have a dashboard camera to produce a freewayjim style video.
I would love to do that. It's too bad though that a drive along the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel lasts longer than "Go Coastal," by Velocity Girl, because that song would be perfect for the drive.
Freewayjim speeds up the videos.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

signalman

If you use exit/entrance ramps that you wouldn't normally use; just so you can clinch the interchange in question.

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1 on April 18, 2014, 04:29:28 PM
Freewayjim speeds up the videos.
Yeah, but that's still a pretty short song for a long bridge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqbKq2pUkA8

US71

It takes you ten hours to drive what most people drive in 3.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ElPanaChevere

You have the completion/opening dates of interstate highway segments marked on your calendar.

You know by heart how many states an interstate goes through and what counties it passes through (bonus points if you know the mileage).

You're the one in the family who always navigated during family road trips.

You're upset when they decommission a route in your city.

You love to explain how the interstate highway system/US system is numbered to your friends and family.

You've been using AAroads for over nine years now. Every. single. day.

You check back every single day to look for new updates. If not, then you go to either OkRoads or CrossCountryRoads.

You own at least 30 license plates.

You understand the joke when the PA Turnpike/I-76 says "Denver (Pa.)" on its signage, and you're the only one who understands why that's remotely funny.

You have used up more than a forest worth of printer paper, using sheets to draw maps, fictional and/or real of interstate highways, roads, etc.

You keep track of what interstate highways you've clinched and the sections that you've driven on, from where to where, and what sections are left for you to discover.

You've driven a different route than the one Mapquest/Google Maps gave you because you just wanted to see the new section of interstate highway.

Your face lights up when you see new signage for a new interstate highway!

(these are true for me, btw  :D lol)
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

yakra

QuoteYou keep track of what interstate highways you've clinched and the sections that you've driven on, from where to where, and what sections are left for you to discover.
Or you're actually a data contributor for Clinched Highway Mapping :colorful:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

rickmastfan67

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.