News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Jumping curser does anyone know what it is

Started by roadman65, February 16, 2014, 10:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I am noticing a lot lately that when I type anything that  my cursor jumps to a previous point in the paragraph and disrupts what I am writing totally.  In fact it happened twice in this past sentence.  Its annoying and cannot figure out what I am doing that it happens.

Is there a shortcut I do not know about that I may be doing something unconscious that is causing it?  It happens not only on one but all of my computers when I type here on the forum, Facebook, and other word documents, so it must be a common feature on the computer that I unawaringlly do when typing. 

BTW it jumped when typing the word typing three times. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Are you clicking? Is that's what's causing it?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

http://www.google.com/search?q=virus

... if your computer is ever doing something unusual, don't ask AARoads, go fix it

vdeane

Do you have a laptop?  Touchpads do that ALL THE TIME.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

sammi

Quote from: vdeane on February 16, 2014, 04:27:59 PM
Do you have a laptop?  Touchpads do that ALL THE TIME.
Yup. :sombrero: It happens a lot on my computer too. Sometimes my cursor just goes to the upper-right-hand corner of the screen and clicks, so it closes whatever program I'm working with. Especially noticeable when I have like 15 tabs open in Chrome. :pan: I found out that it was caused by a driver, so I updated it and it happens less frequently now.

Truvelo

My laptop touchpad had this problem. I found that by pressing firmly when moving the curser it was treated as a click and that made the curser move. To cure it you need to go into the settings for your touchpad and disable the tap action and only allow the buttons below the touchpad to be used to perform a mouse click. Better still, and this is what I eventually did, is to plug a proper mouse into your laptop and totally disable the touchpad as sometimes your hands can accidently touch the touchpad when typing which also causes the curser to move.
Speed limits limit life

hbelkins

My old white MacBook had that problem. Put pressure from the heel of your hand to the side of the trackpad and the cursor would jump. I suspect it had to do with the plastic body of the computer. Haven't had that problem since I upgraded to a MacBook Pro with the aluminum body.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 16, 2014, 10:07:40 PM
Put pressure from the heel of your hand to the side of the trackpad and the cursor would jump.

That counted as a click.
Clinched, plus MA 286

realjd

Laptop with a touchscreen? Recalibrate it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.