News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What makes a good time lapse road video?

Started by ZLoth, March 02, 2014, 10:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I enjoy some of the time lapse road videos that get posted, and as a result of some of those videos, I want to go to some of these places myself. However, there are a couple of things that, in my opinion, make a good road video and some things that distract from the viewing experience.

THE ESSENTIALS:
PURPOSE - What caused you to record the video in the first place. I-70 in Utah/Colorado is often a good reason.
DATE AND TIME - With these road videos, you are essentially capturing a moment in time. Things change, and it may be that your video is looked at 25 years from now to see what changed.
GOOD ANNOTATIONS - I enjoyed some of the trivia that has been placed at the bottom of the video. I also tend to prefer yellow subtitles to make the text easier to read. Have you considered releasing two versions of the video - one annotated save for opening/closing credits and one fully annotated?
SONG CREDITS - Maybe I want to know more about the song you have chosen and want to purchase the music.

BONUS POINTS:
LINK TO THE MAP - Yes, I know that I have some detractors for this suggestion, but I want to take the route you have chosen, zoom in on it, turn on satellite view, and look at it more closely. It makes the experience more immersive.

DISTRACTIONS:
ANNOTATIONS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN - I'm looking at you BarbiePoleDancer
TMI - When you too many items going on the screen to distract from the enjoyment of the video.
NOT SO STEADY-CAM - As a few veterans can tell you, a handheld camera does not make a good road video. Tape that tripod down!
OVERCOMPRESSION - I want to enjoy the scenery, not the blobs of scenery

Anyone care to add/subtract to this list?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

vdeane

Quote from: ZLoth on March 02, 2014, 10:19:48 AM
BarbiePoleDancer
Oh my god, I can't believe that's an actual user with actual road timelapse videos!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.