News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is a big city?

Started by golden eagle, March 05, 2014, 11:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Several years ago, I created a topic asking what constitutes a major city. In that topic, factors such as pro sports teams, major airports and newspaper circulations were mentioned. Now, I want know what criteria needs to be met to just simply be a big city. I'm sure the criteria isn't as stringent as being a major city. There would need to be a population minimum, but how much? In that case, can a suburb be a big city, and would they need to have a downtown with high-rise buildings? What others must there be to qualify?

pianocello

Depends on your background. For example, I would consider Davenport (pop. 100K, 300K metro) to be a big city. However, my friends from Minneapolis, Louisville, and Chicago would not.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Zeffy

In my world, the word 'city' means an urban environment whereas 'town' means more of a 'suburban' environment. A major city IMO meets the following criteria:

* Population: Minimum 200k
* Many built up areas
* Some sort of CBD / Downtown
* Efficient transit system throughout the city
* May have an efficient street grid system (does not necessarily mean numbered streets)

Examples of major cities: Newark, Jersey City, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Miami, Orlando, Ontario, London, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, etc..
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Duke87

In some states, "city" has a legally distinct definition from "town", and it need not be tied to population. The town of Hempstead, New York has more people than every city in the state except one (you know which one). Indeed, it is twentyfold more populous than either of the cities it shares a county with.

In New York's case, it is decided merely by how the municipality chooses to incorporate. Any town could instantly be come a city or vice versa if it saw fit to.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Jardine

Or look at it another way, maybe any metro area with a million people or more is 'big'.  I think the US has over 50 of those.

Big 3 would be New York, Chicago, and LA, top 10 ads Houston, Atlanta, Minneapolis/St. Paul, etc.
Omaha metro is just shy of a million and is IIRC around #60 or so in DMA size.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on March 06, 2014, 12:05:23 AM
In some states, "city" has a legally distinct definition from "town", and it need not be tied to population. The town of Hempstead, New York has more people than every city in the state except one (you know which one). Indeed, it is twentyfold more populous than either of the cities it shares a county with.

See:  City of the Town of Watertown, Mass.

QuoteIn New York's case, it is decided merely by how the municipality chooses to incorporate. Any town could instantly be come a city or vice versa if it saw fit to.

Yes, but...

Do cities in New York contain the annoying municipal oddity "village"? Towns do.

SD Mapman

To me, big cities are 50,000+. Yes, I come from a small-to-medium town.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

hotdogPi

100000+, and not within 15 miles of one with at least twice its population (because then it would be a suburb).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

froggie

QuoteIn some states, "city" has a legally distinct definition from "town", and it need not be tied to population.

Then you have states such as Minnesota where any incorporated municipality is, by definition, a city.  Regardless of whether its population is 5 or 50,000.  Minnesota's smallest-populated city is Funkley, at 5.  Tenney, MN (the previous record-holder at 4 after the 2000 Census) dissolved in 2011.

Quote100000+, and not within 15 miles of one with at least twice its population (because then it would be a suburb).

By this definition, Norfolk would be a suburb of Virginia Beach.  Please try again...

1995hoo

I don't think high-rise buildings should be a consideration. I think most Americans outside of New York and LA would regard Washington, DC, as a big city, but it doesn't have any high-rises. Of course, I suppose you could say "it would except there's a law banning them."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: golden eagle on March 05, 2014, 11:26:20 PM
Now, I want know what criteria needs to be met to just simply be a big city.

To me, it's entirely subjective, based on what one is used to.

Someone living in Amish Country, PA, would consider Lancaster to be a big city. 

Someone living in New York City may consider Boston to be a punny little village (and will add in Red Sox Suck any chance they get).

Atlantic City, NJ and Ocean City, NJ, are vastly different 'cities'.

Ocean City, NJ & Ocean City, MD are vastly different 'cities'.

The town of The Villages, FL is growing very quickly, with over 50,000 residents recorded on the 2010 census, and a population approaching 100,000 when you consider everyone who has a 2nd home in The Villages.  Yet, it's not even an official town, even though one could argue it has its downtowns (the Squares) and it's suburbs (the individual communities of homes).

The point being...can population be used as a guideline for the definition of "A Big City"?  Nah.

So...for me, what do I consider a big city?  Philadelphia. 

sammi

Quote from: Zeffy on March 05, 2014, 11:38:28 PM
Examples of major cities: Newark, Jersey City, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Miami, Orlando, Ontario, London, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, etc..
That one isn't big enough. :bigass:

Zeffy

Quote from: sammi on March 06, 2014, 09:08:51 AM

Actually, I meant Ontario, California, but I probably should have specified that.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 06, 2014, 08:56:56 AM

Easily.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

Quote from: Zeffy on March 06, 2014, 10:29:44 AM
Actually, I meant Ontario, California, but I probably should have specified that.
I know. But the population is under 200k. Which is why I said it wasn't big enough.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 06, 2014, 10:29:44 AM
Quote from: sammi on March 06, 2014, 09:08:51 AM

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 06, 2014, 08:56:56 AM

Easily.

But, is it a major city also?

I would say so.

Can a major city be a big city?

I don't know!!!!

agentsteel53

New York.

there may be others around the world, but of all the places I've been to, New York has been the only one that has struck me as a city.  Paris comes close.  LA is a town with a traffic problem.  the rest are just towns.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Jardine

Take a ride in the back seat of a convertible down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, and revel in the very cityness of the experience!!

(I did in 2011, it was a BLAST!)

ET21

You can go by the statistics book as to what classifies a big city, or go by perspective from people.

Big city in my mind is Chicago, NYC, LA, etc because I live in the urban sprawl.

But some "big" cities could be centers for the surrounding area. I know Dubuque, Iowa is not a big city, but to the tri-county area of IL, IA, and WI it's a big city. Peoria and Springfield could be considered big cities to those living in central Illinois. It all depends on peoples perspective.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 41

Most will disagree with me, but I consider a big city any city that is shown in an inset map in the 2014 Randmcnally road atlas.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

NE2

Quote from: US 41 on March 06, 2014, 01:38:13 PM
Most will disagree with me, but I consider a big city any city that is shown in an inset map in the 2014 Randmcnally road atlas.
It's always great to tie a standard to an external product over which you have no control.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 06, 2014, 11:29:23 AM
New York.

there may be others around the world, but of all the places I've been to, New York has been the only one that has struck me as a city.  Paris comes close.  LA is a town with a traffic problem.  the rest are just towns.
If Paris only comes 'close' then you are looking at a very small club.

It totally depends on experience, Southampton is one of the biggest urban areas, but the layout of the city means that when I lived there it didn't feel as big as it is - sure it was bigger than the Green Belt town I grew up in, but that I could walk to the city centre, that there was a massive park en route, everywhere in the city was sensibly cycleable and the countryside (if the Common wasn't enough) was close. Plus I'd lived in London's shadow all my life, and London is 10-15 times more populous (at least!) and a city that even agentsteel would consider to be such!

Alps

1) Downtown with skyscrapers. They don't have to be 80 stories, but let's say more than 10 stories. I'm thinking of Charlotte as I write this. Otherwise it's just an average city at best.
2) At least 500,000 people in the metro area
3) Defined as the center of a metro area, or in isolated cases, twinned with another city in said definition (San Francisco-Oakland, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Dallas-Fort Worth)
4) Local transportation hub - roads and rail come into the city moreso than they bypass it (obviously almost all cities have some sort of bypass)

Are there big cities without pro sports teams? Austin, TX may be an example. Las Vegas is definitely one.

NE2

I'd probably set some minimum density, as well as prominence (in much the same way as topographic prominence is defined) to ward off suburbs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on March 06, 2014, 06:16:35 PM
I'd probably set some minimum density, as well as prominence (in much the same way as topographic prominence is defined) to ward off suburbs.
Skyscrapers and the "hub/spoke" rule tend to weed them out. Incidentally, it keeps Newark NJ defined as a city instead of a suburb, which is very much true. (Though not a large city - population minimum and not "center of metro area")

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 06, 2014, 08:56:56 AMSomeone living in New York City may consider Boston to be a punny little village (and will add in Red Sox Suck any chance they get).

People in New York don't really consider Boston much, period.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.