News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What type of roadgeek are you?

Started by hotdogPi, March 08, 2014, 04:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of roadgeek are you?

Regional Traveler
46 (71.9%)
National/International Traveler
23 (35.9%)
Signmaker
19 (29.7%)
Poster
25 (39.1%)
Fictional Highway Maker
18 (28.1%)
Sign Hunter
16 (25%)
Viatologist
9 (14.1%)
Cool pooer
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

hotdogPi

There are different types of roadgeeks. Some roadgeeks can belong to more than one category. Here is a list of the types I have seen:

Regional Traveler

Travels on many roads within his/her own state/province or sometimes an adjacent state/province, sometimes trying to clinch all numbered routes in his/her home state/province. However, focus is just on a small region of the country.

National Traveler

Travels on many roads around the country. Some have been to every state/province/territory of his/her own country. A few have clinched the Interstate system.

International Traveler

Travels on roads in several countries. Two countries are enough if he/she has been in most regions of both countries.

Signmaker

Is interested in making road signs and evaluating others' road signs. The signs usually are meant to follow the MUTCD.

Poster

Spends much more time on this forum than actually traveling on new roads. This may be because he/she doesn't have a car.

Fictional Highway Maker

Wants new roads built and roads renumbered. Sometimes the proposals are realistic, but some of the ideas are crazy.

Sign Hunter

Loves old signs, especially non-reflective button copy. State-named Interstate shields are also good. Some love erroneous signs, too.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

sammi

on_wisconsin

What, no casual/ lurker option(s)?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

pianocello

I'd consider myself to be more of a highway history nut, to be honest.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Zeffy

Signmaker and a Poster. Maybe a fictional highway maker as well, but that falls into a broader category because I'm more of a city and 'map' maker.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

Who the fuck picked "viatologist"!?!  I thought this was a viatology-free zone?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

sammi

Quote from: Brandon on March 08, 2014, 06:06:56 PM
Calrog secretly lurks. :spin:

bing101

Im a regional roadgeek for sacramento and solano county ca also i like county routes and county owned highways nd expressways

Pete from Boston

I obsess over development history.  This is just part of the picture.

sammi

Regional, for the GTA obviously. At this point I wouldn't try going north of Newmarket. And when I get back to the Philippines, probably the Baguio and Manila areas.

Signmaker. It's like one of my favorite parts.

And Poster. Duh. :P

Takumi

Regional traveler and sign hunter.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brandon

Quote from: sammi on March 08, 2014, 06:07:49 PM

Obviously, and he has two clones.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

sammi

Quote from: Brandon on March 08, 2014, 07:01:00 PM
Quote from: sammi on March 08, 2014, 06:07:49 PM
Who the fuck picked "v*********t"!?!  I thought this was a v*******y-free zone?
Obviously, and he has two clones.
I posted that when there was still only one v*********t.

Pete from Boston

Why does that word just make me think "Scientologist"?

sammi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 08, 2014, 08:01:08 PM
Why does that word just make me think "Scientologist"?
They mean the same thing. :pan:

vdeane

Viatology: the scientific study of roads* led under the tutelage of Lord Sir Calrog, the Great and Powerful.

*also Viagara
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sammi

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

sammi

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

signalman

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2014, 04:39:22 PM
Signmaker

Is interested in making road signs and evaluating others' road signs. The signs usually are meant to follow the MUTCD.

I don't follow MUTCD due to obvious reasons.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

golden eagle

I'm more of a regional traveler and poster.

froggie

Did not vote as my primary foci either weren't listed or were defined incorrectly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.