News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

When was the last time you played a CD in your car?

Started by ZLoth, April 06, 2014, 04:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

Were CD's those late 20th century creations where the music would momentarily stop whenever your car hit a pothole?

Yes, when I bought my first car 16 years ago it had a CD player that skipped each time the car went over rough surfaces. Earlier car CD players were even worse, especially before someone had the bright idea of fitting a buffer that allowed uninterrupted play whenever the car bounced too much. At least cassettes were more robust in that sense unless the tape started to tangle which many of mine did even though they were quality TDK chrome and metal tapes.

All the above is ancient history for me as I've been using USB in my last three cars. The convenience of not having to constantly change discs or tapes is the real winner. My latest laptop has no CD and I've not missed it one little bit. CD will go the way of other physical media eventually with just a niche market surviving.
Speed limits limit life

formulanone

Last week; I bought Pearl Jam's latest album and haven't taken it out to be ripped for my MP3 collection. I still buy new CDs about 5-6 times a year, and I'll also borrow albums from the library. I rarely wait to get home to listen to them.

But usually, and especially on road trips, day-long jaunts, and travel...it's all iPod.

Quote from: Truvelo on April 07, 2014, 02:30:58 PMAt least cassettes were more robust in that sense unless the tape started to tangle which many of mine did even though they were quality TDK chrome and metal tapes.

CrO2 Type II's were my usual tapes and oh-so-sweet FeO2 Type III's were reserved for the really good albums. I think I saved a couple of Type I's for radio-use only. I still have a tape-deck clock radio, and most of my cassettes have survived amazingly well...I threw out a bunch because nobody wanted them, saving maybe 10% of them. Haven't had a cassette deck in a car since 2009; it had a working cassette deck but no working CD player, which necessitated the iPod.

PHLBOS

About a month ago while using my Mustang.  Nothing good was on the radio (including Sirrius/XM satelite at the time), so I placed one in and played it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Truvelo on April 07, 2014, 02:30:58 PM
Were CD's those late 20th century creations where the music would momentarily stop whenever your car hit a pothole?

Yes, when I bought my first car 16 years ago it had a CD player that skipped each time the car went over rough surfaces. Earlier car CD players were even worse, especially before someone had the bright idea of fitting a buffer that allowed uninterrupted play whenever the car bounced too much. At least cassettes were more robust in that sense unless the tape started to tangle which many of mine did even though they were quality TDK chrome and metal tapes.

All the above is ancient history for me as I've been using USB in my last three cars. The convenience of not having to constantly change discs or tapes is the real winner. My latest laptop has no CD and I've not missed it one little bit. CD will go the way of other physical media eventually with just a niche market surviving.

Isn't USB that 20th-century thing that physically attaches devices for some odd reason?

agentsteel53

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 07, 2014, 04:40:21 PM
Isn't USB that 20th-century thing that physically attaches devices for some odd reason?

and gives charge.  sweet, sweet charge.

until my i[diot]Phone can last more than 2 hours of vigorous use on a single battery charge, or we adopt Tesla's wireless power scheme, I'm sticking with wired connections.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

KEK Inc.

I don't even have a CD player in my car.  I just plug my iPhone in and play Spotify.
Take the road less traveled.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

not since 2008 when I got my current car and could control an iPod with the car's radio.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

I use my cassette player occasionally (very occasionally!) because I have a bunch of mixed tapes I've never transferred to DVD-Audio. None of them will fit on a CD because I always used C-90, C-100, or C-110 tapes, and transferring them is tricky because I got really good at using the tape deck's pause button to eliminate the gaps between tracks (this means I have to sit there with the remote listening in real time to insert the track breaks onto the CD). It's easier to listen to the cassette instead....and, for that matter, in the '88 RX-7 the CD player is broken but the tape player works. But I suppose some of those mixed tapes date back to around 1988 so I ought to transfer them using CD-RW discs while the tapes will still play!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Truvelo

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2014, 08:53:03 PM...I always used C-90, C-100, or C-110 tapes...

Using such thin tapes in a car is asking for trouble. A C-90 in Type II or Type IV form was my limit.
Speed limits limit life

1995hoo

Quote from: Truvelo on April 08, 2014, 10:37:30 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2014, 08:53:03 PM...I always used C-90, C-100, or C-110 tapes...

Using such thin tapes in a car is asking for trouble. A C-90 in Type II or Type IV form was my limit.

Never had a problem in 30 years!

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on April 06, 2014, 07:34:10 PM
One of my cars (a 2000 Tahoe) has a cassette player in it. Last time I used it was playing an old Beastie Boys tape about the time MCA died. The quality of the sound was surprisingly good.

My newer car has a CD player and an aux port which I plug my iPhone into. I can listen to radio stations from all over the world on it or run Pandora or play MP3s, which is very cool.

I have a portable CD player with an adapter so I can play CD's on my car's tape player.

Either that, or I burn the MP3's to a data card and use my portable MP3 player ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rushmeister

This morning.  Guess I'm old-fashioned.

Reo Speedwagon -- "Good Trouble" (1982)

For the evening commute it will be Rush -- "A Farewell to Kings" (1977)
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

agentsteel53

my truck has a CD player, so yesterday. 

it's a burned CD, though. I think the last time I played an original pressed CD that was the format in which I purchased the music was 2006.  it was Sisters of Mercy's "A Slight Case of Overbombing".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

I think the death of the CD is like the death of Paul McCartney or the death of Mark Twain.

Quote...the report of my death was an exaggeration.

QuoteI wasn't really dead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

algorerhythms

Your friend here is only mostly dead. That means he's still partly alive.

DeaconG

Yesterday...I have a 6-disc changer in the glovebox plus a single disc player in the dash.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

formulanone

Quote from: algorerhythms on April 09, 2014, 11:50:03 AM

With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do...Go through the floormats and look for loose change.

Henry

My '97 Tahoe has a 6-disc CD changer that still sounds just as good as when I first bought it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: formulanone on April 09, 2014, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: algorerhythms on April 09, 2014, 11:50:03 AM

With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do...Go through the floormats and look for loose change.

Except that's not what he said: he distinctly said "To Blave," which we all know means "to bluff." So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

DandyDan

I always have a CD loaded into the CD player of my car, but rarely actually play it, since I have Sirius XM in my Hyundai Elantra.  However, I did play one of Pearl Jam's greatest hits CD's on Thursday night on the way home from work.

The truly weird thing is that since the day I got my car in September last year, I've had my radio on FM I think a grand total of 6 times.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

6a

Quote from: Rushmeister on April 08, 2014, 11:43:01 AM
This morning.  Guess I'm old-fashioned.

Reo Speedwagon -- "Good Trouble" (1982)

For the evening commute it will be Rush -- "A Farewell to Kings" (1977)

You can borrow mine if you want the true old-fashioned experience.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

We have a few 8-tracks, and we also have a player for them stuck in our self-storage unit. Haven't used it in many, many years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.