News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Earthquake

Started by bugo, October 14, 2010, 12:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 31, 2014, 01:36:52 PM
Hopefully the safety features within the elevator shaft won't allow this to happen.  But...it could get stuck in the event of a power failure.  If that's the case, it probably won't be the only power failure in the area, and it could take a while to get rescued!

Funny story about that: (slightly offtopic)

When I lived down in Florida, there was a hurricane that hit while my family was vacationing near Miami. We were in a hotel. We were going to attempt to drive away from the storm (back to Orlando), when my family got into the elevator. It died a quarter of the way going down. We were stuck in there... for a few hours I think? I think I was about 4 years old at the time, maybe a year younger. Not very fun. It got hot as fuck in that elevator and I think that's where I got the fear of claustrophobia (the elevator wasn't actually as big as some of the ones I've ridden in closer to today) because goddamn it was CRAMPED in there.

I used to say I would never ride an elevator again. I broke that promise too fast. Elevators are too much fun.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bing101

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-26847827

Dang Chile got hit by an 8.2 quake. I remember Chile was hit by an 8.9 Quake in 2010 within the same area.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Zeffy on March 31, 2014, 01:48:31 PM
Funny story about that: (slightly offtopic)

When I lived down in Florida, there was a hurricane that hit while my family was vacationing near Miami. We were in a hotel. We were going to attempt to drive away from the storm (back to Orlando), when my family got into the elevator. It died a quarter of the way going down. We were stuck in there... for a few hours I think? I think I was about 4 years old at the time, maybe a year younger. Not very fun. It got hot as fuck in that elevator and I think that's where I got the fear of claustrophobia (the elevator wasn't actually as big as some of the ones I've ridden in closer to today) because goddamn it was CRAMPED in there.

I used to say I would never ride an elevator again. I broke that promise too fast. Elevators are too much fun.

Strange, I can't find any hurricane in that area in 1996 or 1997. Maybe it was hurricane Erin in 1995, but I believe it's too early.

Back to topic, there have been destructive earthquakes which weren't that intense, like the one that hit Lorca (SE Spain) in 2011 which was a 5.1 one. I have never felt an earthquake, though sometimes a 3.0 occurs in my area.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

oscar

Chile holds the record here, with a 9.5 earthquake in 1960.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bugo

algorerhythms

I was woken up by the 4.3 this morning.

bugo

Quote from: algorerhythms on June 16, 2014, 11:23:42 PM

Are you back in Norman?

Brian556

I recently read an article concerning the increased seismic activity in the OKC area. If I recall correctly, it said that it may be induced by natural gas drilling, and that waste water disposal wells may be lubricated previously unknown and/or inactive faults.

This has been happening in North Texas, also.

We used have very few earthquakes. They were unheard of in my area; though there was a 3.something in Valley View Tx in 1985.
Then, all of a sudden, in 2008, there were 3 close together in time in the DFW Airport /Irving area. The biggest was 3.something and was strong enough set off car alarms. it kept going from there, but the activity has been more concentrated in different areas at different times.

In Parker County, west of Ft Worth, in the last few years, there was a swarm of probably hundreds of earthquakes. They were occurring daily for a while.

mapman1071

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 30, 2014, 02:00:49 PM
Seems there's also some seismic activity along the East Coast around NYC like one in 1884
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_activity_in_the_New_York_City_area
I wonder if it might gived some inspiration for a tv movie titlted "Aftershock Earthquake in New York"?

Chuck Scarborough wrote the book "Aftershock" in 1991
The threat of an earthquake destroying New York City is a real possibility, according to the experts. Although it takes nearly 100 pages for the disaster to finally strike, once it does this novel by NBC-TV anchor Scarborough picks up pace and never lets down. The aftermath of the quake of 1994 is a nightmare, much worse than San Francisco, with people trapped in buildings and subways, on bridges, and in tunnels. Electricity is out and looters take to the streets. Domenico Rizzo, head of New York's largest crime family, quickly moves to exploit a city in chaos. Sam Thorne, earthquake expert, is a vital cog for the rescue operation. The mayor's daughter tries to lead a group of survivors out of the subway. A large cast of characters, including squabbling politicians, almost overwhelms the reader, but the author basically manages to juggle their stories creditably and keep the tension high in this rousing tale

I have the book and the DVD: the Book is better, the movie can standalone and has only about 5% of the story and characters from the book.

algorerhythms

Quote from: bugo on June 17, 2014, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: algorerhythms on June 16, 2014, 11:23:42 PM

Are you back in Norman?
Yeah. The shaking was pretty noticeable in Norman. I ended up having to guide our new graduate student through realigning the optics in the experiment, since it was enough to move them.

Brian556

On CNN today (6.14), on the crawler, they reported two more earthquakes, a the biggest being a 4.something. They also stated that recently OK had more earthquakes recorded than CA. Imagine if you told somebody in the past that this would happen, they'd've ssid "no effin' way!"

bugo

I read that Oklahoma has had more earthquakes so far this year than the other 49 states and the DofC.  Why the fuckety fuck is fracking still legal?  It has been scientifically proven to cause earthquakes.  Governor Failin' and the other clowns in Oklahoma's state government are so pro-business that they will put the welfare of the entire state in danger just so these companies can make a quick buck.  It's disgusting.  What will happen if we have a 9.0?  Those natural gas companies won't be able to make any money if their infrastructure is ruined.  Knowing the Oklahoma state government, they will allow fracking to resume once the aftermath of the earthquake is over.

triplemultiplex

I finally experienced my first earthquake a couple days ago in Juneau, AK.  There was a 5.9 about 100 miles west and I woke up in my hotel room at 3 in the morning with everything oscillating back and forth.  At first it was confusing, then it was briefly concerning, then it stopped and became amazingly cool.

It was sort of a fun ride and it didn't cause any damage other than wiping out the internet for most of Southeast Alaska.  Apparently some underwater cable was severed.  Here's the stats from USGS.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000rx5i#summary
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Stephane Dumas

I saw this blog post on the Wall Street Journal about earthquake risk along the New Madrid fault area. http://blogs.wsj.com/riskandcompliance/2014/07/18/earthquake-risk-rising-in-central-u-s-with-many-unprepared/

empirestate

Appropriate for this thread:
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ld60147401

This was perhaps a mile north of my house. I felt it very clearly, but am surprised it wasn't stronger, even at such a low magnitude.

(In other news, this is not the reason that the Tappan Zee Bridge is fully closed at the moment. That's just because winter.)

bing101

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/07/taiwan-earthquake-death-toll-rises-buildings-collapse/314440002/

Update there is a Taiwan quake that has just come up and one of the towers is leaning according to the. News outlets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.