News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2

Started by US 41, May 09, 2013, 03:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

I found a road game. It might be one of the best road games out there. There are speed limit signs, stop signs, etc. You travel throughout Europe and you try to get from point A to point B. You're a truck driver in the game, so there you go. Let me know what you think.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

agentsteel53

Quote from: US 41 on May 09, 2013, 03:20:55 PM
There are speed limit signs, stop signs, etc

that sounds awful.  I have those in real life. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US 41

I watched Nerd3 play it on Youtube last night. I think I'm going to buy it. It looks like a game I've wanted for a long time now. Too bad there isn't one for the USA. Everywhere in Europe drives on the right side of the road (thankfully), except the UK  :banghead: , they drive on the left. I think that could get confusing because everything is opposite.

agentsteel53

Quote from: US 41 on May 10, 2013, 09:08:46 AMexcept the UK  :banghead: , they drive on the left. I think that could get confusing because everything is opposite.

I've had that concern before, but I have had people tell me that if you get a right-hand-drive car (steering wheel on right side; designed for driving on the left), then your muscle memory flips over quicker than you would expect, and it is all intuitive.

I'm gonna be in New Zealand in a year, so I will test out that hypothesis!  I have heard that shifter trees are not reversed, so I wonder how that will affect my muscle memory, to shift with my left hand.

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 10, 2013, 12:00:33 PM
Quote from: US 41 on May 10, 2013, 09:08:46 AMexcept the UK  :banghead: , they drive on the left. I think that could get confusing because everything is opposite.

I've had that concern before, but I have had people tell me that if you get a right-hand-drive car (steering wheel on right side; designed for driving on the left), then your muscle memory flips over quicker than you would expect, and it is all intuitive.

I'm gonna be in New Zealand in a year, so I will test out that hypothesis!  I have heard that shifter trees are not reversed, so I wonder how that will affect my muscle memory, to shift with my left hand.

Yep. Having done both, driving on the left with a RHD car is easier than driving on the left with an LHD car. The hardest thing to get used to was actually the turn signals. European cars keep the turn signal control on the left like on RHD LHD cars, American and Japanese cars flip it so the control is on the right. I usually rent automatics but shifting the manumatic with my ledt hand in the mountains of far North Queensland a few months ago wasn't hard to get used to.

kphoger

Quote from: realjd on May 10, 2013, 02:22:31 PM
Yep. Having done both, driving on the left with a RHD car is easier than driving on the left with an LHD car. The hardest thing to get used to was actually the turn signals. European cars keep the turn signal control on the left like on RHD cars, American and Japanese cars flip it so the control is on the right. I usually rent automatics but shifting the manumatic with my ledt hand in the mountains of far North Queensland a few months ago wasn't hard to get used to.

Did you mean "European cars keep the turn signal control on the left like on RHD LHD cars, American and Japanese cars flip it so the control is on the right"?  Because I've never driven a LHD car–American, German, or Japanese–with the turn signal on the right.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

realjd

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2013, 01:42:32 PM
Quote from: realjd on May 10, 2013, 02:22:31 PM
Yep. Having done both, driving on the left with a RHD car is easier than driving on the left with an LHD car. The hardest thing to get used to was actually the turn signals. European cars keep the turn signal control on the left like on RHD cars, American and Japanese cars flip it so the control is on the right. I usually rent automatics but shifting the manumatic with my ledt hand in the mountains of far North Queensland a few months ago wasn't hard to get used to.

Did you mean "European cars keep the turn signal control on the left like on RHD LHD cars, American and Japanese cars flip it so the control is on the right"?  Because I've never driven a LHD car—American, German, or Japanese—with the turn signal on the right.

Yep, good catch, thanks! I absolutely meant that all LHD cars have the turn signs on the left but it differs by brand on RHD cars.

english si

Quote from: US 41 on May 10, 2013, 09:08:46 AMEverywhere in Europe drives on the right side of the road (thankfully), except the UK  :banghead: , they drive on the left.
Yes, everywhere in Europe (save Malta, Cyprus, UK and Ireland) drives on the wrong side of the road, having changed sides after Napoleon took over most of it and made people change sides for no real reason other than he was an arsehole who liked ordering people around :banghead:.

More countries changed sides as European empires grew over the next 150 years (and, of course, got empires overseas). And once freed these places didn't change back due to it being just as pointless a change as changing in the first place. The few stuck in the middle ended up having to side with the majority - Sweden, which had stayed neutral for most of that time was the most recent country to change - in the early 60s.

Euro Truck Simulator - I can't see the appeal. If I wanted to fake travel along roads, I'd use streetview or watch youtube videos. If I wanted to fake drive, I'd want to drive some high performance car and try and get the most out of it, playing some racing game (or GTA/similar). Though I admire the amount of work they have done making it look fairly realistic (though still full of all sorts of howlers when it comes to the most important bits - the road), the premise of copying the train driver simulators doesn't really translate as it is far more familiar to most people.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: english si on May 12, 2013, 06:23:17 PM
The few stuck in the middle ended up having to side with the majority - Sweden, which had stayed neutral for most of that time was the most recent country to change - in the early 60s.

Regarding Sweden, here's a more-detailed account (some from my memory, aided by this page (in Swedish)).

As far back as 1718, Swedes drove on the right side of the road.

But in 1734, Sweden switched to driving on the left.

Several times during the 20th Century, a switch to the right was studied and  discussed.  A national study commission strongly suggested a conversion to the right in 1954 (both nations that border Sweden, Norway and  Finland, had driven on the right, at least since the appearance of the motor vehicle).  The suggestion that Sweden switch to right-hand highway traffic was put to a national referendum in 1955, which was overwhelmingly defeated.  Here's an image of an anti-right placard from the back of a Stockholm trolleybus (BehÃ¥ll Vänstertrafiken - rösta NEJ means Keep the left-hand traffic - vote NO):

Still, the suggestion to switch to the right refused to go away, and it was studied and discussed through the rest of the 1950's and into the early 1960's.  In the early 1960's, the Nordic Council also encouraged Sweden to make the switch, and, in spite of the 1955 referendum result (which was deemed advisory and not binding), a decision to switch to the right was made by the Swedish Parliament on 10 May 1963, with an effective date of 1967. 

That date, or Dagen H (Day R) (or Dagen Höger (Day  Right)) was set for very early in the morning (0500) of Sunday, 3 September 1967.  At 0445 on that morning, all highway traffic was to come to a complete halt, then carefully cross to the right side of the road and wait  At 0500, drivers could continue on their journeys on the right side of the road.  In some municipalities, including Stockholm and Malmö, all motorized traffic with private vehicles was forbidden within their respective corporate limits from 1000 on the morning of the 2nd of September until 1500 on the afternoon of the 3rd.  Logo for Day R: 

Many new LHD buses had been procured in advance of Day R.  Well before Day R, a large percentage of the fleet of private automobiles in Sweden were LHD, though RHD vehicles were not outlawed (and I believe they remain legal even now).

Day R had significant consequences for streetcar (tram) traffic in Stockholm.  All of the rolling stock that ran in the downtown area had doors on the left side only, and a decision was made to convert those lines to bus service, with the exception of two suburban lines - the cars that ran on those lines were of a different design, and had doors on both sides.

Nearly all of the streetcars with the doors on the left were scrapped.  A few managed to evade the scrapper's torch, and are used on the heritage  Line 7 in Stockholm (they have been rebuilt with the doors on the right).

What did not change were the mainline Swedish railroads, and the Stockholm Tunnelbana (subway or underground).  Those normally run on the left even today.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 13, 2013, 02:14:14 AM

All this means is that Napoleon was an arsehole even before he was born.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 01:25:06 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 13, 2013, 02:14:14 AM

All this means is that Napoleon was an arsehole even before he was born.

No dispute there. 

And back when Sweden was a great power in Europe, they were frequently allied with France.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Sweden did it correctly back in the day.  Left hand traffic with left hand drive cars.  When you parallel park, you get out to the curb, not the street.  When there's an offset head-on collision (the most common type of head-on collision), with both cars occupied by only the driver, the empty portion of the car takes the most damage, saving the driver from more severe injury/death.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on May 31, 2013, 01:53:25 PM
Sweden did it correctly back in the day.  Left hand traffic with left hand drive cars.

that sounds awful for trying to pass.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Does this simulator include being able to be a trucker trying to avoid Berlin?

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 31, 2013, 02:18:17 PM
Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on May 31, 2013, 01:53:25 PM
Sweden did it correctly back in the day.  Left hand traffic with left hand drive cars.

that sounds awful for trying to pass.
Swedes are far too civilized to be in a hurry.

US 41

Quote from: US 41 on May 10, 2013, 09:08:46 AM
Too bad there isn't one for the USA.

There is going to be an American Truck Simulator. It's going to be released in 2014. I'm interested in which cities will be included in the game. I hope Terre Haute will be, but I'm doubtful. Only larger cities like Indianapolis will probably be in the game.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on June 07, 2013, 11:46:43 PM

you have never been to Sweden.  there aren't many maniac drivers, but people don't like to be held up, just like anywhere else.

jake@aaroads.com

on_wisconsin

Quote from: US 41 on May 10, 2013, 09:08:46 AM
I watched Nerd3 play it on Youtube last night.

Its one of Nerd3's best. IMHO:

ETS 2 is a great game, would recommend to anyone who likes realistic driving sims.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 19, 2013, 01:21:14 PM
Quote from: Steve on June 07, 2013, 11:46:43 PM

you have never been to Sweden.  there aren't many maniac drivers, but people don't like to be held up, just like anywhere else.

That is correct. 

And there are terrible drivers in Sweden, though probably not as many (in terms of percentage) as in the U.S.

US 41

This past week I just bought 18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul. It is also by SCS Software. It was only $4.99 plus tax on Walmart.com. It includes the US, Canada, and Mexico.

ET21

Quote from: US 41 on February 16, 2014, 10:03:37 AM
This past week I just bought 18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul. It is also by SCS Software. It was only $4.99 plus tax on Walmart.com. It includes the US, Canada, and Mexico.

How is it? I have Pedal to Metal and am wondering if it's better
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 41

I think it is pretty fun. You have to obey the rules somewhat closely. For example somehow the cops know you ran a red light even if there's not a cop there. The interstates are all 3 lanes each direction which isn't realistic. At exits the right lane turns into the on ramp. The interchanges where interstates meet each other are pretty creative. However if you are not extremely picky about realisticness, it is a fun game. It was definitely worth the 5 bucks I spent on it. I mean I guess if you don't like it, it was only 5 dollars. It runs fast on my laptop. It apparently doesn't take up as much space as ETS2. The whole US (minus AK and HI) are on the game. Southern Canada and northern Mexico are also featured. The map shows the correct route numbers. It is sort of difficult to wreck. The only wrecks I've had are rear end collisions. I don't have Pedal to the Medal so I can't really compare them. From watching a video on Youtube on pedal to the medal it looks like they're very similar.

mhh

Here's a kinescope of Swedish Television's live coverage of H-day:

http://www.svtplay.se/klipp/273078/h-vaka-04-45-05-15

I can't understand the Swedish audio but the video is interesting. Because of Sweden's far-northern latitude it was already daylight at 5 a.m. and there were large crowds in some areas to take part in the changeover.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I play this game every day IRL.

True story bro.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

US 41

BTW when you start out on Am. Long Haul the fastest your truck can go is 45. If you upgrade your engine all the way your truck can get up to around 85.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.