News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I44 / US77 Construction Pics

Started by rte66man, February 12, 2012, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

I posted some pics of the ramp construction from southbound US77 to westbound I44 in Oklahoma City:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rte66man/?saved=1

The work will add a new ramp from 77 to 44 along with a braided onramp to southbound 77 from 63rd St. This is the first of many contracts to rebuild the interchange from a cloverleaf to OKC's second four-level stack.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Stephane Dumas

I spotted a simulated picture showing a reconfigurated interchange at
http://www2.saic.com/project/oklahoma-department-transportation
is it the one who'll replace the cloverleaf interchange?

rte66man

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 12, 2012, 07:49:50 PM
I spotted a simulated picture showing a reconfigurated interchange at
http://www2.saic.com/project/oklahoma-department-transportation
is it the one who'll replace the cloverleaf interchange?

Yes. The picture on their site is looking south along US77.  The Santa Fe Avenue overpass is on the extreme left.  I am disappointed to see the final design retains two fo the loop ramps. While I know space is tight, the design I had seen previously eliminated all the loops.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

For those who don't know: this interchange is the northern terminus of I-235.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bassoon1986

Is it signed US 77 through there? There is absolutely no mention of 77 at all from OK city anywhere north...wow

bassoon1986

scratch that...google maps has no mention of it north of Hallettsville, TX.  Big surprise from Google maps

rte66man

Quote from: bassoon1986 on February 14, 2012, 03:06:20 AM
Is it signed US 77 through there? There is absolutely no mention of 77 at all from OK city anywhere north...wow

FYI, US77 runs concurrently with I35 north from the Flood Av exit to the Dallas junction (I35 / I235 / I40). From there it runs concurrently with I235 north to the I44 junction in question.  As Scott mentioned, I235 ends there, but US77 continues north on the Broadway Extension and Broadway Av to Edmond, where it turns east on Second St to rejoin I35.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

US 77 is rather well signed throughout OK, even though it parallels I-35 for its entire extent in the state and often overlaps it. There are a few I-35 assemblies that are missing US 77 shields, but not many. Of course, I-35 was intentionally routed as close to US 77 because of a bill that Oklahoma passed requiring the new interstate to be within at least one mile of existing US 77, at least south of OKC. This was done in an attempt to keep the southern Oklahoma US 77 towns from losing their relevancy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Why isn't OK 66 signed through OKC?  It is VERY well signed in Tulsa along its overlap with I-44.  There are very few I-44 shields that don't have OK 66 shields underneath them.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on February 17, 2012, 03:11:20 AM
Why isn't OK 66 signed through OKC?  It is VERY well signed in Tulsa along its overlap with I-44.  There are very few I-44 shields that don't have OK 66 shields underneath them.

What, you don't intuitively know it runs from I35 a tthe Second St interchange south to I44, then west on 44 to the 39th St exit? :)

Seriously, I've asked ODOT about this, but never received a reply.  They need to do new BGS's along 44 as they were never repaired after the 1999 "big wind".

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.