News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

I think this is one of the few BGSes left in BC that use Series E in the route shield (the standard since at least 2000 is helvetica  :ded:). I don't recall seeing any other signs like this.

There is a clear green out; not sure what it was.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/K7R61

Brian556

That's odd having the KEEP RIGHT sign below the divided highway ends sign.
Any particular reason it's there?

I do think this style of KEEP RIGHT sign should be added to the MUTCD for non-median uses. Example: Hills/sharp turns on unpaved roads.

Brandon

A couple of button copy survivors.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Kacie Jane

I'm going to have to put that second sign in the "really really good, but not the Best of the Best" category. The spacing between the shields makes me read it as 80 (but not 90) East, and 90 (but not 80) West. (Plus, what's with the arrows on both signs?)

signalman

Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 04, 2014, 10:14:04 AM
I'm going to have to put that second sign in the "really really good, but not the Best of the Best" category. The spacing between the shields makes me read it as 80 (but not 90) East, and 90 (but not 80) West. (Plus, what's with the arrows on both signs?)
I read it that way too (even though I know they run concurrently there).  Glad to see I am not the only one to view the sign in that light.

mrsman

But if the 80/90 sign leads to that confusion, shouldn't it not even be classified as very good?

The 80 and 90 need to be closer together, obviously.

vtk

Quote from: Brian556 on October 04, 2014, 01:02:50 AM

I supect that's an upside down "divided highway begins" sign. Somehow these get installed upside down a lot.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on October 06, 2014, 04:29:33 PM

I supect that's an upside down "divided highway begins" sign. Somehow these get installed upside down a lot.

They're commonly used that way to signify the end of a divided highway section.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mapmikey

Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2014, 04:59:01 PM

This is common in Virginia:

Here is VA 99 leaving I-81:

In a totally different part of the state, you can see another example on VA 7 Bus EB just past VA 287:

Sometimes the KEEP RIGHT sign is posted separately...

Mapmikey

vtk

Yes, and that's fine when it's at the end of a divided highway section.

I sometimes see them installed this way at the beginning of a divided highway section (which would make more sense in combination with "keep right").  It's like some sign designers get confused as to which orientation belongs in which context.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Mapmikey

Virginia does it that way too...

US 522 entering Virginia above Winchester

US 501 entering Virginia below South Boston

Mapmikey

freebrickproductions

Found this today in Boaz, AL. It's an old Alabama stop sign that still stands next to the railroad crossing on Line Avenue. It was yellow at one time, but most of the yellow has since faded to white. Some of the yellow remains where the black paint has flaked off.
This is probably the last one standing in the entire state. Although I've heard that Gadsden may still have a few. I'll have to go find them. It's still something you don't see much of anymore. I sure didn't expect to find it!

Old Alabama Stop Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadfro

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 07, 2014, 07:55:53 PM

Yeah, that is completely backwards. The diamond warning sign (divided highway begins) should be in advance of the actual condition. The keep right sign should be in the median (and really should use the standard text+arrow or symbolic message).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ctsignguy

A battle-scarred veteran still standing strong in likely it's fifth decade of service....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

cjk374

Quote from: roadfro on October 07, 2014, 10:01:58 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on October 07, 2014, 07:55:53 PM

Yeah, that is completely backwards. The diamond warning sign (divided highway begins) should be in advance of the actual condition. The keep right sign should be in the median (and really should use the standard text+arrow or symbolic message).

I agree.  When US 167 was widened to a divided 4-lane highway here in Louisiana, they put the divided highway ahead diamond where the median starts.  It should be an R4-7 or an R4-7a IMO.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mrsman

Quote from: vtk on October 07, 2014, 07:18:24 PM

Yes, and that's fine when it's at the end of a divided highway section.

I sometimes see them installed this way at the beginning of a divided highway section (which would make more sense in combination with "keep right").  It's like some sign designers get confused as to which orientation belongs in which context.

I've also seen "two-way traffic" (diamond with up and down arrows next to each other) used when a divided highway ends.

agentsteel53

very interesting - flat, printed STOP sign with block fonts.  the one I know of in Gadsden is fully embossed, with round fonts, and does not have the two horizontal bars.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 07, 2014, 08:55:40 PM
Found this today in Boaz, AL. It's an old Alabama stop sign that still stands next to the railroad crossing on Line Avenue. It was yellow at one time, but most of the yellow has since faded to white. Some of the yellow remains where the black paint has flaked off.
This is probably the last one standing in the entire state. Although I've heard that Gadsden may still have a few. I'll have to go find them. It's still something you don't see much of anymore. I sure didn't expect to find it!
Why's the old STOP sign set so far away from the pavement edge?  Was the road originally wider or aligned closer to the old sign?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 08, 2014, 08:49:26 AM
A battle-scarred veteran still standing strong in likely it's fifth decade of service....

Where is this? I take this road everyday. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ctsignguy

Quote from: doofy103 on October 08, 2014, 01:41:16 PM
Quote from: ctsignguy on October 08, 2014, 08:49:26 AM

Where is this? I take this road everyday. 

Side road in Old Saybrook.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Found this just off NY 137:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.