News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Thunder Bay

Started by triplemultiplex, September 19, 2011, 09:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Two keen observations from a recent trip through Thunder Bay.

First of all, since the completion of the 11/17 realignment west of the city, it seems Ontario has dumped the old business routes for King's Highways 11, 17 and 61.  There are no more signs on the Thunder Bay Expressway for 61B, 11B and 17B.  I was not aware of this.

Secondly, the four lane highway on 11/17 is being extended east from Thunder Bay to my turn off, ON 527.  Included in this project is the construction of an actual interchange at Hodder Ave. (former 11B/17B). Looks like they are putting in a folded diamond interchange facing east.  That's kind of exciting for me as I have fantasized about converting the Thunder Bay Expressway to a controlled access freeway since I first traveled through there en route to points north for fishing.  Finally, there will be an interchange in northwest Ontario!  :clap:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

aridawn

The Plan form MTO is to build a freeway from the current expressway, east to JCT ON-11/17 split at Nipigon.  MTO is also building a twinned Hwy from the ON/MB Provincal line east the JCT ON-17/17B at the Kenora Bypass. The projected opening is around 2014.

Alps

Quote from: aridawn on January 30, 2012, 04:44:08 PM
The Plan form MTO is to build a freeway from the current expressway, east to JCT ON-11/17 split at Nipigon.  MTO is also building a twinned Hwy from the ON/MB Provincal line east the JCT ON-17/17B at the Kenora Bypass. The projected opening is around 2014.
Sweet, then I definitely timed things right by putting this trip off till 2013. Look forward to seeing some plains freeway!

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Steve on January 30, 2012, 08:14:48 PM
Quote from: aridawn on January 30, 2012, 04:44:08 PM
Sweet, then I definitely timed things right by putting this trip off till 2013. Look forward to seeing some plains freeway!
Is that plains? I remember a major geographical transition just east of Winnipeg from the very flat, plainsy, glacial Lake Aggasis to classic granite outcrops, Canadian shield, which you don't lose until just west of Ottawa.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

You know what, I have no clue what I meant to type, but I don't think it was that.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Steve on February 08, 2012, 08:59:59 PM
You know what, I have no clue what I meant to type, but I don't think it was that.
I was thinking back to a camping trip I took to the Whiteshell, which lies within the Canadian Shield on the eastern edge of Manitoba, late 1980s. My son and I drove up through Fort Frances and Kenora, crossing into Manitoba before turning north. At that time, the two-lane road in Ontario on the TCH became a divided highway at the Manitoba border. I don't remember if the Kenora bypass was in place at that time but even if so it wasn't freeway. (In fact I don't recall any freeway in western Ontario, even around Thunder Bay where it was definitely signalized expressway bypassing the city last time I was there). So, you probably meant "just plain freeway".
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

AsphaltPlanet

By the summer of 2013, there will be some completed sections of new four lane highway easterly from Thunder Bay, and 9 km of new four lane highway under construction (but probably not yet open) immediately east of the Manitoba border.  There will be a single interchange open at Hodder Avenue, so effectively there will still be no freeway in Northwestern Ontario.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/highway-construction/northern-highway-2011/northern-ontario-expansion-2011-to-2015.shtml
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

texaskdog

Winnipeg, where they build one highway around the city that no one in the city can actually use

aridawn

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 08, 2012, 09:58:06 PM
I was thinking back to a camping trip I took to the Whiteshell, which lies within the Canadian Shield on the eastern edge of Manitoba, late 1980s. My son and I drove up through Fort Frances and Kenora, crossing into Manitoba before turning north. At that time, the two-lane road in Ontario on the TCH became a divided highway at the Manitoba border. I don't remember if the Kenora bypass was in place at that time but even if so it wasn't freeway. (In fact I don't recall any freeway in western Ontario, even around Thunder Bay where it was definitely signalized expressway bypassing the city last time I was there). So, you probably meant "just plain freeway".

Fixed quotes and grammar. Sigh.

You're right, there are currently no freeways in Northwestern Ontario. In the 1980's, there was talk to extend the "expressway" from MB/ON to Thunder Bay (Fort William/Port Arthur) as it was known then.  Plans fell through as the Canadian gov't backed out of the deal.  It wasn't until the 90's that Ontario took part of the envisioned plan and built the bypass of Kenora. 2 lanes, no frontage access road, with one grade-separated crossing of a local road.  It was supposed to have two partial interchanges to be built in the late 90's at both ends of the bypass, but those were scrapped due to funding cuts.  The topography of the area is mostly granite and dense rock with deep swampy muskeg pits and lots of lakes and wet lands. The section of TCH will most likely be expressway standard with one or two interchanges from MB/ON line to the Kenora Bypass.  The Thunder Bay Expressway extension will be twinned with few interchanges, but from what I have read from MTO, and news reports in the area, I am convinced this will be a true freeway.  On a side note, truck traffic will still continue to use ON-102 as a bypass even if the road (ON-17/11) is a freeway through the city and out to the west junction with 102, as it cuts off time, is a direct road towards MB, and does not have a lot of car traffic.

webfil

Quote from: aridawn on February 10, 2012, 01:41:04 PMIt wasn't until the 90's that Ontario took part of the envisioned plan and built the bypass of Kenora. 2 lanes no frontage access road with one grade separated crossing of a local road.  It was suppose to have two particle interchanges where to be built in the late 90's at both ends of the bypass, but was scrapped due to funding cuts.

Actually, I'm counting two graded crossings (Ritchie Road and highway 651), in the first and fourth quadrants.

What is the speed limit posted on 17A?

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: aridawn on February 10, 2012, 01:41:04 PMThe Thunder Bay Expressway extension will be Twined with few Interchanges, but from what I have read from MTO, and news reports in the area, I am convinced this will be a true freeway.

Do you have any information to back this up?  The information that I read generally states that while the MTO will protect for a full freeway, only a divided highway is being considered for the short to medium term.

For example, from the press release for the twinning between Hodder and Highway 527:
"Work will begin with two projects.  Approximately five kilometres of four-lane divided highway will be constructed between Hodder Avenue and Highway 527.  Access to the four-lane highway will be provided with an interchange at Hodder Avenue and Copenhagen Road and intersections at the Terry Fox Scenic Lookout and Highway 527." (My emphasis)
http://news.ontario.ca/mndmf/en/2009/05/four-laning-of-highway-1117-begins.html

Quote from: webfil on February 10, 2012, 03:20:10 PM
What is the speed limit posted on 17A?

It is posted at 90km/h.  There is a single traffic signal at Hwy 658.  The only signal between Dryden and Winnipeg.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.