News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Who is "the public"?  Business owners along the old hwy 68?  Drivers who live in Siloam Springs?  Drivers who commute to or from, say, Springdale to Chouteau or Tulsa?  They sure didn't consult me, and I drive that way from time to time.

Arkansastravelguy

At least it's not like Texas and their one way frontage roads. Or Fayetteville with Futral and Shiloh

iPhone

bjrush

Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2014, 12:12:49 AM
Who is "the public"?  Business owners along the old hwy 68?  Drivers who live in Siloam Springs?  Drivers who commute to or from, say, Springdale to Chouteau or Tulsa?  They sure didn't consult me, and I drive that way from time to time.

Stakeholders and people who attended public input sessions. Did you attend any sessions?
Woo Pig Sooie

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 16, 2014, 03:53:31 PM
This June 12 article reports that four-laning US 67 from Poplar Bluff to the Arkansas state line is one of the Missouri transportation sales tax projects on the recently released draft list ....
MoDOT's Southeast Region Draft List speaks in terms of "adding lanes"
Quote from: AHTD on June 17, 2014, 10:38:19 PM
Word from the MoDOT District Engineer is that it will be a four-lane expressway similar to the rest of the corridor to the north.

The Final Commission-Approved Southeast Region Project List includes the US 67 project and has an estimated cost of $43.42 million:

Add lanes on Rte 67 from Rte 160 to Arkansas

RBBrittain

Quote from: bugo on July 01, 2014, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 01, 2014, 11:11:30 AM
Someone answer me this cause I really an a bit ignorant on the whole US 67 thing. Is there going to be some kind of 4 lane interstate quality connector to Jonesboro off of it. I would have thought US 63/Future I 555 made perfect sense but they just widened it.  Lots of things this State does makes no sense like how us 412 connects with us 65 north of Harrison. There's no ramp 5 go north, you have to stop and cross south bound traffic. It's just stupid stupid stupid. I'm still wondering why they didn't build a four lane divided bypass around Siloam instead of what they did in town.

The US 70/70B/Future AR 7 interchange at the east end of the Hot Springs bypass is the same way.  To go from EB US 70 to WB US 70B, you must come to a stop and make a left turn.  Other than this ramp, both roads are full freeways.  I wonder how many fatalities are going to occur here before the state builds a proper ramp?

They didn't build a proper Siloam Springs/West Siloam Springs bypass because of 1) the notorious cheapness of Arkanasas and 2) the businesses in Siloam Springs complained the loss of business that a bypass would cause.  I imagine in 30 years or so a proper bypass will be constructed.
Ah, reminds me of Pine Bluff.  Wonder if Siloam will see tumbleweeds rolling down its "Martha Mitchell" (yeah, 6 lanes with stoplights looks like another fake "expressway" to me) while everyone else speeds past on its "Wiley Branton" bypass?  :-P

bugo

Quote from: RBBrittain on July 12, 2014, 02:36:21 AM
Ah, reminds me of Pine Bluff.  Wonder if Siloam will see tumbleweeds rolling down its "Martha Mitchell" (yeah, 6 lanes with stoplights looks like another fake "expressway" to me) while everyone else speeds past on its "Wiley Branton" bypass?  :-P

I know for a fact that a Mena bypass would have been built at least 35 years ago if not for the local businessmen pooh poohing the idea.

codyg1985

Quote from: bugo on July 12, 2014, 09:08:01 AM

I know for a fact that a Mena bypass would have been built at least 35 years ago if not for the local businessmen pooh poohing the idea.

But would it have been built to interstate standards or would it have been an "Arkansas Freeway"?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

bugo

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 13, 2014, 09:51:47 AM

But would it have been built to interstate standards or would it have been an "Arkansas Freeway"?

Probably two lanes, much like the Waldron or DeQueen or Glenwood bypasses.

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 13, 2014, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on July 13, 2014, 09:51:47 AM

Probably two lanes, much like the Waldron or DeQueen or Glenwood bypasses.

Or the original Fayetteville bypass
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on July 01, 2014, 06:21:13 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 01, 2014, 02:08:04 PM
Will that have an exchange with US 63 to tie the 4 lane divideds together?
State Highway 226 is being built as a connector but it is NOT a controlled access facility.

AHTD, the AR 226 High Priority Corridor 52 is statutorily designated as follows:

The route in Arkansas running south of and parallel to Arkansas State Highway 226 from the relocation of United States Route 67 to the vicinity of United States Route 49 and United States Route 63.

The statute does not seem to require a connection to US 63/ Future I-555.  Does the Department have any future plans to connect AR 226 to US 63, and, if so, do you have any plans that you can share with the Forum?

Quote from: Grzrd on May 13, 2013, 03:26:20 PM
This May 8, 2013 article
Walter McMillan, Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department district engineer
In the above-linked article, Walter McMillan also provided an update on the interstate-grade projects south of Walnut Ridge and noted that the entire sixteen miles will be opened to traffic at the same time:
Work is underway on Highway 67 from the interchange with Highway 226 (between Swifton and Cash), northward to the Highway 63 interchange at Hoxie. McMillan said there are four different construction projects underway on the six-mile stretch from Highway 226 north to Highway 230.
Work has also begun on the 10-mile stretch from Highway 230 to Highway 63.
Much of the grading and structure work is completed and the paving contract will be let in December.
"If things go really well, in another two to two-and-a-half years we will probably be done with that section of 67," McMillan said. "It's coming; it's just a matter of finishing up."
He did report that none of the final 16 miles will be opened until it is all complete, stating that Highway 230 would not be able to withstand the traffic if the first six miles were opened.
"So, when the two open it will be all the way up to 63,"
he said.
Quote from: robbones on June 20, 2014, 10:52:38 AM
When is the swifton - hoxie section planned to be completed?

IDriveArkansas is currently estimating Mid 2014 for Hwy 226 to Hwy 230 and Late 2015 for Hwy 230 to Hwy 63.

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on June 30, 2014, 08:20:53 PM
When Missouri backed off its commitment to four-lane U.S. 67 to the Arkansas state line, we had to re-boot our process and look at other feasible alternatives on how to get from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line.
That study is almost complete and will be presented to the Arkansas Highway Commission during its July meeting. We will post it here once the Commission signs off on it.

AHTD, this article about the July 23 Arkansas State Highway Commission meeting mentions the I-40 toll lane study, but it does not mention the US 67 study.  Was the US 67 study presented at the July 23 meeting, or did the Department decide to wait until after the Missouri sales tax vote?

AHTD

The study is still in progress, however it was mentioned in the Commission meeting as such.

We will post the complete I-40 study in the appropriate thread when it's available. The Commission's action on it was simply to "accept" it because it was completed by a consultant.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

Woo Pig Sooie

robbones

Missouri is almost complete with 4 laning  about 5 miles of US 67 south of poplar bluff. They are building jersey barriers to separate the north and south bound lanes.

AHTD

Quote from: bjrush on July 24, 2014, 03:40:00 PM
Which consultant?

I-40 toll study was completed by JACOBS

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 19, 2014, 02:55:38 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on July 18, 2013, 08:56:08 PM
This July 15 AHTD PowerPoint presentation provides an update and scheduled lettings for the completion of AR 226 from US 67 to US 49 near Jonesboro (page 21/41 of pdf):
This article reports that the previously scheduled April letting for the Cash bypass has been put on hold because of a concern that Highway Trust Fund checks might start bouncing

AHTD's Sept. 30 presentation to the Blytheville Lions Club includes a slide providing a Feb 2015 completion date for the Cash Bypass (page 13/41 of pdf):

Several photos of AR 226 construction are included in the presentation.

Grzrd

This Oct. 31 AHTD Information Release states that public involvement meetings will be held on November 12 and November 13 regarding the four-lane extension of US 67 to the Missouri state line.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 05, 2014, 07:59:44 PM
This Oct. 31 AHTD Information Release states that public involvement meetings will be held on November 12 and November 13 regarding the four-lane extension of US 67 to the Missouri state line.

AHTD has posted the materials from the meetings.  Here is the map of the alternatives:

Here is a Summary Table of the alternatives:

It's interesting that AHTD is continuing to present freeway alternatives.

Also, here is a Nov. 12 TV video reporting on the first meeting and how AHTD had to go back to the drawing board in order to develop these alternatives.

codyg1985

I'm glad that at least the idea of a freeway is at least still being considered by AHTD. If the money has been sunk into building an freeway corridor to Walnut Ridge, then to me it would only make sense to continue the freeway to the Missouri State Line.

I am hoping that Alternative 2 is eliminated since it seems that would end up being an Arkansas Freeway type facility.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

capt.ron

Alt. 4 and 4E to me makes the most sense out of all of the alternatives. Alt. 2 looks to be the "cheap way out".

SteveG1988

Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2014, 12:12:49 AM
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bugo

US 41

When is the section between SR 226 and US 63 supposed to open up? (Sorry if there was an answer to this already.)
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 18, 2014, 04:07:22 PM
IDriveArkansas is currently estimating Mid 2014 for Hwy 226 to Hwy 230 and Late 2015 for Hwy 230 to Hwy 63.
Quote from: US 41 on December 11, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
When is the section between SR 226 and US 63 supposed to open up? (Sorry if there was an answer to this already.)

IDriveArkansas is now estimating Early 2016 for the entire Hwy 226 to Hwy 63 stretch.

I-39

Either Alternative 4W or 5 built as an interstate-grade freeway (or at least an expressway with the option to upgrade to interstate-standards) is the best option.

It makes absolutely no sense for the remainder of the highway to be built along the existing road with lots of cross traffic. No one is going to like driving on a freeway and then having to slow down big time after Hoxie/Walnut Ridge.

It would not be difficult for Missouri to upgrade the U.S 60/67 corridor between the state line and I-57 to interstate-standards, so I don't see what the debate is. An Interstate highway corridor would be MUCH better for the regional economy than a four-lane undivided roadway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.