News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Prince Edward Island Signs

Started by ghYHZ, August 14, 2011, 03:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Made a quick trip over to PEI yesterday and grabbed a few sign shots:

Just leaving the Wood Islands Ferry Terminal you have a choice of several coastal drives:

And a few others:

Arriving back at the Wood Islands Terminal to wait for the Nova Scotia Ferry:

xonhulu

Hope no one's offended by my observation that PEI's route shields look really dumb.

Thanks for posting those shots.  That is probably someplace I'll never make it to, so it was cool to see your photos of the island's highways.

ghYHZ

Quote from: xonhulu on August 14, 2011, 04:17:37 PM
Hope no one's offended by my observation that PEI's route shields look really dumb.
It's representative of the PEI Provincial Flag:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Prince_Edward_Island

"three small oak saplings — representing the three counties of PEI (Prince, Queens, and Kings) — under the protection of a great oak tree which represents Great Britain'

vdeane

I was thinking environmentalists...  :-D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

xonhulu - my site has just a few PEI photos itself O:)

mtantillo

Quote from: deanej on August 14, 2011, 05:10:51 PM
I was thinking environmentalists...  :-D

I was thinking I was on a Florida toll road!

Duke87

That reminds me, I need to find an excuse to take a week and go explore the Maritimes sometime.

Wonder if I could pull off doing it next summer...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Duke87 on August 16, 2011, 10:00:32 PM
That reminds me, I need to find an excuse to take a week and go explore the Maritimes sometime.

Wonder if I could pull off doing it next summer...

Or foliage season.  I'm vaguely contemplating Maine for October.
Canadian Thanksgiving is the same day as Columbus Day.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Ian

Cool photos! While you were over on PEI, you should have photographed their awesome traffic signals  :sombrero:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ghYHZ

I was over to PEI yeasterday and got a few more shots:

A new Veterans Highway 2 Sign (the Starfish represents it's part of the Coastal Drive)

...and a couple of others:

The eastern end of TCH1 at the Wood Islands, PEI ferry terminal

....and ready to dock with TCH106 in Caribou, Nova Scotia

Alps

For the record, this thread now contains all of the overhead signage in that province.

OracleUsr

Almost made PEI a couple of weeks ago on my New Brunswick trip, just couldn't bring myself to spend the $45 to cross the Confederate Bridge.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

1995hoo

Quote from: ghYHZ on August 14, 2011, 04:57:44 PM
Quote from: xonhulu on August 14, 2011, 04:17:37 PM
It's representative of the PEI Provincial Flag:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Prince_Edward_Island

"three small oak saplings — representing the three counties of PEI (Prince, Queens, and Kings) — under the protection of a great oak tree which represents Great Britain'

It's a pretty ubiquitous symbol of PEI. I remember attending the 1989 Canadian Boy Scout Jamboree when I was growing up and the event's logo contained those trees as well:

That trip was in the days before the Confederation Bridge and the ferry queue at Borden when we headed home was interminable. I haven't been back since then and lately I've kicked around the idea of perhaps next summer going up there on a golf vacation and seeing how the bridge has changed things. I rather suspect the bridge might have hurt the lodging industry to some degree by making it more likely that people might do day trips.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 22, 2012, 11:41:39 PM
Almost made PEI a couple of weeks ago on my New Brunswick trip, just couldn't bring myself to spend the $45 to cross the Confederate Bridge.
2/3 the price of the ferry. Not a whole lot more than the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, at that. Or the real idea is that you love it so much you stay.

oscar

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 22, 2012, 11:41:39 PM

Just to clarify, the $45 is westbound only.  Getting to PEI is free, but they would rather you stay awhile.  The ferry between PEI and Nova Scotia is the same deal, but as Steve noted the price is higher on the ferry than the bridge.

I liked the Green Gables north central coastal route sign, even though it's one more reminder of how PEI flogs the "Anne of Green Gables" story to death.  The epicenter of "Anne-itis" (as at least one Canadian has dubbed it) is Cavendish, on the Green Gables route. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ghYHZ

When the bridge opened in 1997, the toll was set at the same rate you would have paid if still crossing on the Marine Atlantic Ferry it replaced. That has increased yearly based on the annual inflation rate and is currently $44.25.

The fare on Northumberland Ferries (which continue to operate) at the eastern end of PEI to Nova Scotia was always higher. Currently $66 + $5 fuel surcharge.

(Bridge crossing: 13 KM, NFL Ferry: 22 KM)

With the tolls collected upon leaving the Island only, the choice is yours if doing a circle trip: Cross over for free on the ferry, return via the bridge and save $27. Or.......have your free crossing on the bridge and pay the higher ferry rate to return. Funny how people have no problem paying the higher fare on the Ferry but find the bridge tolls outrageous.

And you have to pay for a billion dollar bridge somehow! Also.....it's all about convenience. I can remember coming back from PEI as a kid on a Sunday afternoon after a weekend at the beach. Sitting in the car in lineups on the dock for two or three hours......hot, sunburned......inching forward with each ferry crossing. Now you cross on your schedule.

vdeane

Other billion dollar bridges have tolls a mere fraction of $45.  The next most expensive bridge I can think of is the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which is 75% cheaper but still infamous for having a very high toll.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ghYHZ

Quote from: deanej on July 24, 2012, 11:38:06 AM
Other billion dollar bridges have tolls a mere fraction of $45.  The next most expensive bridge I can think of is the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which is 75% cheaper but still infamous for having a very high toll.

Think how much faster that $ Billion will be paid down with higher traffic counts:.

Verrazano Narrows Bridge: 190,000 vehicles per day

Confederation Bridge: 4,000 vehicles per day

ghYHZ

Quote from: ghYHZ on July 24, 2012, 06:26:13 AM
And you have to pay for a billion dollar bridge somehow!

And I remember there was a funding formula based on the requirements of maintaining a ferry service over the life of the bridge (100 years)......new vessels, maintenance, staffing, fuel costs etc. The bridge toll would never be more than what the public would pay if they were still crossing by ferry.

On the NFL Ferries there is now a $5 fuel surcharge......something you don't pay crossing the bridge.     

Road Hog

Does the ferry have amenities like shops, restaurants, etc. like the English Channel ferries?

ghYHZ

Quote from: Road Hog on July 24, 2012, 04:57:33 PM
Does the ferry have amenities like shops, restaurants, etc. like the English Channel ferries?

Yes, a cafeteria, coffee bar, gift shop and local musicians on deck during the summer......it's about a 75 minute crossing.

http://www.nfl-bay.com/northumberland-ferries-ship-information/

Alps

Quote from: ghYHZ on July 24, 2012, 06:40:00 PM

Yes, a cafeteria, coffee bar, gift shop and local musicians on deck during the summer......it's about a 75 minute crossing.

They also have 80s video games.

Road Hog

Quote from: Steve on July 24, 2012, 07:34:44 PM
Quote from: ghYHZ on July 24, 2012, 06:40:00 PM

They also have 80s video games.

DOUBLE awesome! :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.