News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

FL 9B

Started by sammack, May 22, 2010, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: florida on September 22, 2013, 11:07:35 PM
That SR 9B shield put a smile on my face. I had wondered if they were going to sign it as such.
Surely the bit south of I-95 would be when built, even if the bit north of I-95 gets signed as I-795.

Strider

Quote from: flaroads on September 22, 2013, 09:15:47 AM
I noticed in that video that the first mileage guide sign showed Savannah as the final control point (couldn't read the miles) but one can see from this that once Florida 9B gets extended to Interstate 95 that signage will suggest to through traffic to use the connector and East Beltway as an alternative route to Georgia instead of continuing north along I-95.

It looks like Savannah: 146 miles. I have the feeling it will be renamed I-795 somehow after it extends south to I-95.

roadman65

I hope that they assign it as a bypass of I-95, it would be nice.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: roadman65 on September 24, 2013, 03:13:08 PM
I hope that they assign it as a bypass of I-95, it would be nice.

FL-9B technically fixes the stupidity of the loop ramp of SB I-295 (FL-9A) to I-95 SB.  Can't wait till that mistake is fixed.

edwaleni

FL 9B will be resigned as I-795 when the ramps at I-95 are complete. 

But it will only be I-795 from I-95 to I-295 East Beltway.

From I-95 south to St John's Parkway it will remain FL-9B.

After the ramps at I-95 are complete they will have a ramp at Durbin/Peyton Parkway that connects to Racetrack Road.

Durbin Parkway will eventually extend east and go behind the Dog Track, bridge over the FEC and US1 and connect with Nocatee Parkway. This will facilitate a clean east/west route from Palm Valley to the St Johns River.

FL -9B will eventually terminate at the current intersection of St Johns Parkway and Russell Sampson Road.  St John's County has plans to extend that parkway further south as population grows, but it will never be an expressway, just a 4 lane arterial.  If the First Coast Beltway ever gets east of the river, anticipate an intersection between it and the future parkway.

As it stands today I-795 is pavement complete, they are finishing the signage, lighting and landscaping.  The last pieces before it can open are mostly around the I-95 intersection, as everything at Philips Highway are done.  A contractor has started to remove trees for the next section south of Race Track Road.

Developers are already salivating at this intersection with Race Track Road and Durbin Parkway.  Bass Pro Shops has already announced they are building on property nearby. This should also propagate a wave of restaurants, hotels and other associated retail.

jwolfer

I would not be surprised if 9B becomes hidden and the CR2209 designation of St Johns parkway is signed at the i95 exit

theFXexpert

Also worth mentioning: Signage was installed for an interchange between 295 and US1.

The advance signage had exit number tabs on it along with a yellow closed tab when I drove past it. I can't find updated streetview of it yet though.

theFXexpert

Cross posting from the TravelMapping forum:

Newly installed APL Signs show US1 will be exit 2.
The ramp south of US1 for Durbin Road is signed as exit 3.

Looks like an error was made.

edwaleni

Quote from: theFXexpert on January 07, 2016, 01:07:48 AM
Also worth mentioning: Signage was installed for an interchange between 295 and US1.

The advance signage had exit number tabs on it along with a yellow closed tab when I drove past it. I can't find updated streetview of it yet though.

"E-Town Parkway" was a design add due to the announcement of a major project by Davis Family entities (former Winn Dixie owners) to create a huge mixed development in and around this exit.

9B had been done for a length of time with just a bridge over nothing and then the ramps were added later and then the signage.

At the moment the ramps go to nothing as the development hasn't even broken ground yet.  When 9B was built with that bridge over nothing and then the development was announced much later, it raised a lot of eyebrows because no one had known what the plans were.

theFXexpert

Cross post from TravelMapping:

I didn't take any pics when I initially went though since I don't have any good way of taking pictures while driving, so I went back there tonight and pulled to the side. (NOTE: Not embedding due to large images.)

http://i.imgur.com/TNjgYJ3.jpg

The pics of the Durbin Road Blvd sign didn't come out that great since it was farther away.
At least these are somewhat legible.

http://i.imgur.com/mTs3Ofz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KEw5dKu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jwWMCam.jpg

I checked streetview before posting earlier to refresh my memory and confirm the name of the road the ramp was connecting to. As you can see, Durbin Rd (Not Blvd) is shown. A second set of street blades can be seen at the same intersection with completely different street names which I initially dismissed as an error. After more thorough browsing, I found that was the only sign referencing this road as Durbin Rd. Every other street blade signs the road as Flagler Center Blvd.

rickmastfan67

You know theFXexpert, there's an e-mail for people who should be contacted about 9B on their website.
http://www.sr9b.com/Pages/Directory.aspx

I would send an e-mail to both of them about those exit numbers. ;)  Make sure to include links to your photos of the problem.  Hopefully, they can be fixed soon. :nod:

theFXexpert

Yes. I'll get right on that when I get time to today.

theFXexpert

I just noticed new mile markers while on it yesterday.
Mile 1 is posted just south of the E-Town Prky southbound entrance ramp. Mile 2 is just before the ramp for US 1.
So I guess they are mile posting it from north to south. But if they are doing that, why bother making E-Town exit 4?

bob7374

Quote from: theFXexpert on February 15, 2016, 10:27:34 AM
Mile 1 is posted just south of the E-Town Prky southbound entrance ramp. Mile 2 is just before the ramp for US 1.
So I guess they are mile posting it from north to south. But if they are doing that, why bother making E-Town exit 4?
MUTCD states that spur route mileage starts at the parent route and goes up from there, so same with exit numbers. This is the case for I-795 in NC, where the exits go up as you proceed south from I-95 towards Goldsboro. I think an exception should be made for spurs heading south since it does run counter to the standard exit numbering scheme.

theFXexpert

Quote from: bob7374 on February 15, 2016, 11:41:46 AM
MUTCD states that spur route mileage starts at the parent route and goes up from there, so same with exit numbers. This is the case for I-795 in NC, where the exits go up as you proceed south from I-95 towards Goldsboro. I think an exception should be made for spurs heading south since it does run counter to the standard exit numbering scheme.
Hmm. I didn't consider that. But, wouldn't I-95 be considered to be the parent route once they open phase II?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: theFXexpert on February 15, 2016, 10:27:34 AM

Do the MMs have shields in them?

The Ghostbuster

Couldn't all of FL 9B be Interstate 795? Why does it have to only exist between 95 and 295?

theFXexpert

emory

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 15, 2016, 04:13:33 PM
Couldn't all of FL 9B be Interstate 795? Why does it have to only exist between 95 and 295?

And if they're connecting two interstates, why not call it I-695?

jwolfer

Quote from: emory on February 18, 2016, 04:10:44 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 15, 2016, 04:13:33 PM

or 495.  In the stricktest sense it is a spur off 95, but it is functionally part of the beltway/bypass system so an even number would make more sense, like 675 on the SE part of Atlanta's perimeter

Fixed quote. - rmf67

theFXexpert

Quote from: jwolfer on February 18, 2016, 11:33:01 AM
or 495.  In the stricktest sense it is a spur off 95, but it is functionally part of the beltway/bypass system so an even number would make more sense, like 675 on the SE part of Atlanta's perimeter

THIS!

Has AASHTO even assigned a number yet? All I could find was that they identified 9B as a "logical future addition".

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was assigned in 2011. But doesn't cite a source.

NE2

FDOT called it I-795 in internal records all the way back around 2000.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: theFXexpert on February 18, 2016, 12:02:36 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on February 18, 2016, 11:33:01 AM

THIS!

Has AASHTO even assigned a number yet? All I could find was that they identified 9B as a "logical future addition".

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was assigned in 2011. But doesn't cite a source.

I cant find anything online officially assigning 795 thru FHWA.  Lots of of non-FHWA 795 sources

theFXexpert

I went to the intersection where the Durbin Blvd [sic] ramp terminates in person for the first time. Traffic Signals and signs were installed.
I don't know if any of the signs were put up before or after I complained.

http://i.imgur.com/snOOTpL.jpg
Looking southbound facing the exit ramp.

http://i.imgur.com/0tR7Ck2.jpg
Another view of the traffic light.

http://i.imgur.com/5LNaUqB.jpg
Looking east. The ramp is to the right.

http://i.imgur.com/DCD3fyW.jpg
Yeah.

Also noteworthy, I sign gantry was put up at the exit/entrance gore for US1 at the north end of the bridge over US 1. A sign facing the southbound direction indicates that the Durbin Blvd ramp is exit only. I'm thinking that the added lane from the US1 entrance ramp will be dropped at the Durbin Blvd exit ramp. Exit numbers and junk have not been modified. I couldn't get a good look at the northbound signs.

theFXexpert

Aerial photos of phase 3 construction are now up on the 9B project site.

http://www.sr9b.com/Phase3/Pages/Photos.aspx

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.