traffic signal around a curve - installed on opposing mastarm

Started by agentsteel53, May 28, 2013, 02:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 30, 2013, 10:54:25 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 30, 2013, 01:39:02 AM
I personally am fond of Maryland's signs:

That, but usually on a mast arm, is exactly what PennDOT does.

Heck, even in Maryland, I think that picture is the first time I've seen a "Signal Ahead" with a "RED" option mounted on the ground anywhere.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

deathtopumpkins

Me too. I can only recall them being mounted overhead. That was just the best-quality photo I could find Googling.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Revive 755

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 30, 2013, 01:39:02 AM
I personally am fond of Maryland's signs:

There were some of those around Springfield, MO.  All the other MoDOT districts seem to use the simpler 'be prepared to stop when flashing' with a yellow beacon over the sign.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 30, 2013, 08:32:13 PM
Me too. I can only recall them being mounted overhead. That was just the best-quality photo I could find Googling.

I'm more apt to find them ground mounted...or mounted on a light pole.  The overhead signs seem to be few and far inbetween when this sign is used.

Ian

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 30, 2013, 08:32:13 PM

I know of several in Massachusetts. Two on MA 9 westbound in Framingham...

And another on the Speen Street ramp from MA 9 eastbound in Natick...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadfro

Nevada's take on the red signal ahead warning sign is a static sign "Prepare to stop when flashing" with 2-4 yellow beacons. Examples:
  • Pyramid Hwy (SR 445) in Sparks
  • Las Vegas Beltway (CC 215) at US 95 in Las Vegas

The difference is that these signs are wired to flash from a few seconds before the signal turns yellow to about 5 seconds after the signal turns green again. This helps prevent dilemma zone issues on one end, and accounts for the fact that the queue is not immediately released once the light turns green and stopping may still be necessary.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

On original topic, here's a through signal on the opposing mast in Las Vegas, on Durango Drive at Grandbank Dr.
http://goo.gl/maps/8kFpF

There is a school crossing sign (older one with the lines) on the mast also because the intersection is in a school zone and the crosswalk at the intersection is a school pedestrian crossing on a "safe route to school".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

The RED SIGNAL AHEAD signs would be the best as stated here.  NJ uses them not only in blind spots, but where they're long gaps between signals like on US 22. 

The problems is it has its advantages as well as its disadvantages.  For example, to have it flash red a few seconds prior to the signal would be great as it forewarns drivers of the signal to about change, however on the same note in may encourage some drivers to speed up in hopes of making the intersection prior to it changing to red.

Osceola County, FL uses a flashing light on EB Osceola Parkway approaching Michigan Avenue in Kissimmee, FL.  However the light only flashes when the intersection signal is red, but does not flash on green.  So it combines both principles together.  The only problem is that a railroad bridge obstructs the view of the signal (hence the purpose of the assembly) and it only flashes after the light turns completely red.  Meanwhile you could be traveling at cruising speed and see the sign not flashing and then you arrive over the hump and then you have to slow down.  Or worse yet you still have cars stopped from the previous red signal, as Florida is great for slow moving starts after signal changes to green.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

doorknob60

Here's a good example of a great usage of this in Bend: http://goo.gl/maps/lLuyn It's on the far left mastarm too, a more extreme example. Around this curve though, I can affirm that it's quite necessary, really glad it's there.

roadman65

Here is one that I took at an intersection in Manville, NJ with not only one, but two left side signal heads at an awkward intersection.  Also, the far left one has a doghouse protected left set up while the near left has a tower with the extra arrows.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8501174341/in/set-72157632833956641
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.