News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 19, 2017, 10:14:22 AM
Quote from: storm2k on June 02, 2017, 01:21:59 PM
Seen at Exit 11:

Update: the southbound ramp signage has since been replaced w/similar-layout signage as its northbound ramp counterpart (except it uses 2 arrows rather than 3) and uses Trenton as the control city.  While such is in-synch with the northbound Exit 129 signage; it's not in synch with the southbound Exit 129 signage.

Quote from: roadman65 on June 18, 2017, 12:29:17 AM
Actually SB 130 should use New Brunswick and Trenton should be 129 SB.
I agree with you 100%. 

Historical Note: When Exit 130 used to a US 1 southbound-only exit; both New Brunswick & Trenton were used on the main signage.  When the cloverleaf ramp for US 1 northbound was retrofitted in; New Brunswick got demoted to auxiliary signage.
NJ loves to sign local roads in the shadows of freeways as they do the freeways themselves.  I-287 for example is the best at it with both US 1 and US 22, although the latter got NYC until it was changed to Newark recently.  Yet, the very same road in other areas, NJ 23 south gets Wayne when NJDOT signs NJ 23 south along its way for Newark.  Also to mention that in Oakland NJ 208 uses Franklin Lakes instead of what NJDOT signs NJ 208 South as well.

I even think Newark is a bad call for 130 NB after the cloverleaf ramp was retrofitted as the Parkway just came from there itself.  As US 1 does serve Woodbridge and can also be used for a control city with 129 or even drop Woodbridge from 129 guides and add Staten Island (even though the NJ 184 Breezewood) or Raritan Center.    In addition you have Avenel, Rahway, Linden, and Elizabeth to use as well for a NB US 1 control place, or you could leave it blank and use the already existed New Brunswick and Trenton for the main guides before the split.

Also a note:  I do not have photos and some of you may say I am making it up, but I do not care what you think, but before the 1980 widening of the GSP from 129 to 140, there were no control cities listed for 130.  Just US 1 in text was used and it specified no direction either as Ford Avenue jughandle was used to make the movement missing.  Obviously in those days the US 1/ Ford Ave. Intersection did not have traffic queues that filled the merge areas and jughandle itself and a movement could have been made rather easily.  In addition a supplemental guide that read "Shopping Centers" was there denoting all the malls and strip malls along US 1 in Woodbridge and Edison that was removed in that widening as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Drove through Interchange 9 today. The new NB signage leaves room for a control city but does not include one. So, the inconsistency of the new signage continues.

cpzilliacus

Since the last time I was on that part of the Turnpike, new pull-through signs have been installed overhead on the southbound side from (about) Exit 12 to Exit 7.  All of them  feature I-95, the Turnpike shield and Trenton as a control city. The ones at Exit 7 just show the Turnpike shield, with  space for I-95 if PTC can ever complete the interchange project in Bristol, Pennsylvania enough to complete I-95.

This is the  first time I have seen an I-95 shield southbound south of Exit 10 (I-287), where I-95 was originally planned to exit off the Turnpike headed south.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mergingtraffic

and I take it...NOW....all of the button copy is gone?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 04, 2017, 08:59:34 PM
Some exits still have some.

JJBers

Quote from: Alps on July 04, 2017, 11:24:56 PM
Thank god, I like button copy myself

Also, why do the poles look like they're 50 years old? Is this a style choice, or is NJT signs about to collapse due to age.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JJBers on July 04, 2017, 11:26:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 04, 2017, 11:24:56 PM
Thank god, I like button copy myself

Also, why do the poles look like they're 50 years old? Is this a style choice, or is NJT signs about to collapse due to age.

The rust look has been their style for a long time.  Many of them are brand new - under 5 years of age or so.  They'll last just as long as any other highway sign structure.

roadman65

Those rust looking sign gantries have been around for 30 years.  In fact when the Exit 13A project was completed it was one of the first to implement them.

Also the Garden State Parkway had been using them even before the Turnpike except with more elaborate gantries though.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 04, 2017, 05:21:42 PM
Since the last time I was on that part of the Turnpike, new pull-through signs have been installed overhead on the southbound side from (about) Exit 12 to Exit 7.  All of them  feature I-95, the Turnpike shield and Trenton as a control city. The ones at Exit 7 just show the Turnpike shield, with space for I-95 if PTC can ever complete the interchange project in Bristol, Pennsylvania enough to complete I-95.
I last used that stretch almost a month ago.  While the recently-posted MUTCD-style southbound, pull-through BGS' had I-95 shields (Exits 12 through 9); the slightly older ones erected from Exit 8A to Exit 7 (as part of the widening project) did not have I-95 shields on them (but provided a space for such).

Are you saying that the Turnpike Authority recently added I-95 shields to the Exit 8A through 7A pull-through signage (they should've IMHO, but that's another story) and/or changed the signage?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on July 05, 2017, 09:00:51 AM
Those rust looking sign gantries have been around for 30 years.  In fact when the Exit 13A project was completed it was one of the first to implement them.
How do they get them to last that long?  NY used the same material for guiderail once, but it only lasted 10 years, so we're replacing all of it with traditional galvanized steel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 05, 2017, 09:35:07 AM
Since the last time I was on that part of the Turnpike, new pull-through signs have been installed overhead on the southbound side from (about) Exit 12 to Exit 7.  All of them  feature I-95, the Turnpike shield and Trenton as a control city. The ones at Exit 7 just show the Turnpike shield, with space for I-95 if PTC can ever complete the interchange project in Bristol, Pennsylvania enough to complete I-95.
I last used that stretch almost a month ago.  While the recently-posted MUTCD-style southbound, pull-through BGS' had I-95 shields (Exits 12 through 9); the slightly older ones erected from Exit 8A to Exit 7 (as part of the widening project) did not have I-95 shields on them (but provided a space for such).

I am not sure!  The I-95 shields there caught my attention because I had not seen them before.

Are you saying that the Turnpike Authority recently added I-95 shields to the Exit 8A through 7A pull-through signage (they should've IMHO, but that's another story) and/or changed the signage?

I think that they did - because they caught my attention.  I recall entering the Turnpike at 7A last year, and there was space for the I-95 shield, but they were not there (this was after the entrance barrier where everyone decides to go north or south), only the Turnpike shield.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on July 05, 2017, 03:28:29 PM
How do they get them to last that long?  NY used the same material for guiderail once, but it only lasted 10 years, so we're replacing all of it with traditional galvanized steel.

The brown guardrail on MD-200 is about 6 or 7 years old now, and except where it has been struck by  vehicles, still looks good (and MDTA is very aggressive about replacing damaged guardrail, so damaged sections are usually removed and replaced within a few days or at most a few weeks).

roadman65

MD used them in Baltimore on I-95 after the Fort McHenry Tunnel section opened. They resembled the Garden State Parkway ones now being used.  From what I have seen on GSV and on photos from other users, they rid them and went traditional gantries and bare metal.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2017, 06:45:21 PM

I am not sure!  The I-95 shields there caught my attention because I had not seen them before.

I think that they did - because they caught my attention.  I recall entering the Turnpike at 7A last year, and there was space for the I-95 shield, but they were not there (this was after the entrance barrier where everyone decides to go north or south), only the Turnpike shield.
I'll be using the NJ Turnpike again this coming weekend (making another trip to/from Massachusetts) so I can check/confirm whether or not the NJTA indeed added I-95 shields onto those pull-through BGS' at Exits 8 through 7A.

Update: as suspected & confirmed - the signage at Exits 8A-7A were not changed nor I-95 shields have been added yet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on July 05, 2017, 09:24:49 PM
MD used them in Baltimore on I-95 after the Fort McHenry Tunnel section opened. They resembled the Garden State Parkway ones now being used.  From what I have seen on GSV and on photos from other users, they rid them and went traditional gantries and bare metal.

I think it was actually Interstate Division, Baltimore City Department of Transportation that had the lead in designing and engineering I-95 in the city, save for the  Fort McHenry Tunnel, the toll plaza and sections of freeway approaching the tunnel portals, which under control of MDTA.  Later, after the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened to traffic, Baltimore City and MDTA reached an agreement to have MDTA take over maintenance, operations and law enforcement on all of I-95 in the city.

Some overhead sign structures using corten can still be found along I-83 in Baltimore City.

qguy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2017, 06:47:44 PM

The brown guardrail on MD-200 is about 6 or 7 years old now, and except where it has been struck by  vehicles, still looks good (and MDTA is very aggressive about replacing damaged guardrail, so damaged sections are usually removed and replaced within a few days or at most a few weeks).

The material is called weathering steel and is basically non-galvanized, non-stainless steel. It's meant to intentionally rust. From conversations with design engineers when I worked at PennDOT, it's often used because it looks rustic and is less expensive to manufacture.

I don't like it for one reason. Whenever it's mounted on or above concrete it creates horrible rust stains. This is because rust (iron oxide, of course) is water soluble and sheds in rainy weather. Then it's absorbed by the concrete.

I think the staining gives roadway facilities a shoddy, ill-maintained, almost abandoned look. Plus, the rustic nature is only faux-rustic and I generally don't like faux anything. Faux often equates to junky-looking.

But opinions may vary.

roadman65

Yes I have seen those rust stains in the concrete in various places that use them.  It can look bad, but still overall the look is fantastic.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: qguy on July 07, 2017, 09:14:28 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2017, 06:47:44 PM

The material is called weathering steel and is basically non-galvanized, non-stainless steel. It's meant to intentionally rust. From conversations with design engineers when I worked at PennDOT, it's often used because it looks rustic and is less expensive to manufacture.

I don't like it for one reason. Whenever it's mounted on or above concrete it creates horrible rust stains. This is because rust (iron oxide, of course) is water soluble and sheds in rainy weather. Then it's absorbed by the concrete.

I think the staining gives roadway facilities a shoddy, ill-maintained, almost abandoned look. Plus, the rustic nature is only faux-rustic and I generally don't like faux anything. Faux often equates to junky-looking.

But opinions may vary.

Yeah, it definitely looks bad on the jersey barrier and whatever is near the support.  But, it's perfectly safe.  Most people don't even think about it.  However, once in a while nj.com (the main NJ newspaper) will do a story about it and suddenly a bunch of people think the supports won't last a few years...even though those very supports have been up for a few DECADES! 

I can only see the NJTA using it for the look.  If there's any cost savings, that'll be minimal compared to the literal billions the Turnpike has spent to make sure every exit is a right lane exit (as the dual-dual design would be much cheaper if they utilized left lane exits to reduce the number of bridges and ramps necessary for its design).

roadman65

Also the fact the NJTA uses more paint for lane striping as they go beyond the normal specs of the white lines too.   They were even proud of it as the old Trailblazer newsletter years ago stated that they know they do not need to use that much paint, but they want to for added safety.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Yes, NJTA is a class-act among highway agencies; no doubt about that. I personally never liked the rusted look. I agree with those who say it looks crappy. I would prefer guide-rails and sign-gantries to be modern, bright looking steel or aluminum to maintain the look of a modern, well maintained highway.

Jim

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 06, 2017, 08:26:12 AM

I'll be using the NJ Turnpike again this coming weekend (making another trip to/from Massachusetts) so I can check/confirm whether or not the NJTA indeed added I-95 shields onto those pull-through BGS' at Exits 8 through 7A.

I drove up the NJTP last night and was on the lookout for the first mention of I-95 northbound.  The first I saw was at Exit 9.  It's possible I missed ones further south, but I don't think I did.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

storm2k

Quote from: Jim on July 09, 2017, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 06, 2017, 08:26:12 AM

I drove up the NJTP last night and was on the lookout for the first mention of I-95 northbound.  The first I saw was at Exit 9.  It's possible I missed ones further south, but I don't think I did.

There is room for a 95 shield on all the signs from 7A-8A, but the Turnpike Authority is going not going to put them up there until the 95/PA Turnpike ramps are completed and 95 is actually through-routed onto the Turnpike at 7A.

vdeane

I-95 will be entering the Turnpike at exit 6; the current de facto I-95 route is exit 7A, so there's really no reason not to sign it north of there, and I don't understand why the Turnpike doesn't.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2017, 10:57:27 AM
Yeah, it definitely looks bad on the jersey barrier and whatever is near the support.  But, it's perfectly safe.  Most people don't even think about it.  However, once in a while nj.com (the main NJ newspaper) will do a story about it and suddenly a bunch of people think the supports won't last a few years...even though those very supports have been up for a few DECADES!
I'm definitely curious HOW they can last so long.  NY used the same material for guiderail in the Adirondacks, Catskills and other scenic/park areas, and it has not held up nearly as well despite being around significantly less time.  Check out this stuff on NY 9N, for example.  This is why we don't use that stuff any more.
https://goo.gl/maps/ys5uTm7WdjD2
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

Are these signs NJ TPKE jurisdiction?

On-ramp to the pike from US-46 EB in Ridgefield Park.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WjQ5EC]
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SignBridge

Vdeane, re: the New York State rusted guide-rails in the photo not lasting as long as elsewhere, I think the issue might be more with those small box-beam style rails not being as durable in the long-term as the standard W-beam type rail used on the NJ Turnpike. NYS DOT used box-beam rails a lot on Long Island and they did not seem to stand up well over time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.