AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interstate 269  (Read 163899 times)

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 03:06:01 AM
Re: Interstate 269
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »

TDOT is letting a signing project to resign TN 385 between the MS State Line and I-40 as I-269. Plans can be found at https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments//Construction/Design_CADD_Files/October%206,%202017%20Letting/Region%204/125391-00-RoadwayInfoOnly.pdf
Bah, sign the whole thing and be done with it.  So what if it doesn't connect to anything on the north side for a decade or more?  Better to get it resigned all at once rather than have to introduce another number change in the future.
I agree. Now with the way they are signing it there will be two disjointed sections of SR 385 in Shelby County.  And US 51 in Millington would be a perfectly fine stopping point for 269 until they complete the rest of SIU 9.

It's likely the reticence about signing I-269 over the TN 385 segment north and west of I-40 has as much to do with perception than reality -- as there's no timetable for actually developing I-69 from Memphis to Dyersburg, TDOT doesn't want to give the public -- or any backers or even detractors of the SIU 9 segment -- any reason to expect any concrete action on that segment.  They're probably of the (internal) opinion that if they were to sign I-269 over the northern stretch, there would be both pressure to actually come up with definitive plans to build out I-69 to meet the northwest end of the loop or, alternately, increased vocal opposition from local and/or environmental activists.  TDOT seems to be engaged in a consistent pattern of procrastination regarding this SIU (given their financial situation that is understandable); that'll be the status quo for some time -- and they want to avoid any more short-term controversies adding to the problems posed by their fiscal situation.

Brooks

• Last Login: Today at 01:26:49 AM
« Reply #401 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »

TDOT is letting a signing project to resign TN 385 between the MS State Line and I-40 as I-269. Plans can be found at https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments//Construction/Design_CADD_Files/October%206,%202017%20Letting/Region%204/125391-00-RoadwayInfoOnly.pdf
Bah, sign the whole thing and be done with it.  So what if it doesn't connect to anything on the north side for a decade or more?  Better to get it resigned all at once rather than have to introduce another number change in the future.
I agree. Now with the way they are signing it there will be two disjointed sections of SR 385 in Shelby County.  And US 51 in Millington would be a perfectly fine stopping point for 269 until they complete the rest of SIU 9.

It's likely the reticence about signing I-269 over the TN 385 segment north and west of I-40 has as much to do with perception than reality -- as there's no timetable for actually developing I-69 from Memphis to Dyersburg, TDOT doesn't want to give the public -- or any backers or even detractors of the SIU 9 segment -- any reason to expect any concrete action on that segment.  They're probably of the (internal) opinion that if they were to sign I-269 over the northern stretch, there would be both pressure to actually come up with definitive plans to build out I-69 to meet the northwest end of the loop or, alternately, increased vocal opposition from local and/or environmental activists.  TDOT seems to be engaged in a consistent pattern of procrastination regarding this SIU (given their financial situation that is understandable); that'll be the status quo for some time -- and they want to avoid any more short-term controversies adding to the problems posed by their fiscal situation.
This is probably true; however, one way that I think would justify extending the designation would be to finish I-69 in Shelby County from SR-300 to SR 385.  I believe this could help development(s) in an economically depressed area of Memphis and improve the connection from Millington to downtown Memphis.  I know this is highly unrealistic given the circumstances, but I can dream I guess.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 03:06:01 AM
« Reply #402 on: September 13, 2017, 05:26:48 AM »

This is probably true; however, one way that I think would justify extending the designation would be to finish I-69 in Shelby County from SR-300 to SR 385.  I believe this could help development(s) in an economically depressed area of Memphis and improve the connection from Millington to downtown Memphis.  I know this is highly unrealistic given the circumstances, but I can dream I guess.

That short segment of I-69 might be done as part of the larger project, but there's little or no impetus to do just the southern part of SIU 9 as a stand-alone segment just to connect to the outer TN 385 bypass.  Memphis-Dyersburg will likely be done as a unit when and if funding is identified and available, like most of the other SIU's have been to date.  Right now it appears that TDOT is initially focusing on Dyersburg-Fulton, since most of the preliminary work has already been done to get that segment (SIU 8) up & running.  Don't expect to see much in the way of action on SIU 9 in the early 2020's unless a $$ windfall occurs.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.