News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA91 project in Corona

Started by MarkF, December 06, 2014, 02:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

The 15/91 interchange usually is backed up.  The Main St exit just to the west of it doesn't help. It is now being updated to add carpool connectors and looks to move the Main St ramps past the interchange exits.
http://sr91project.info/

Changed msg icon. --Roadfro

andy3175

The SR 91 project may result in a "Carmaggedon East" in Corona, with a complete 6-mile freeway closure occurring possibly the weekend of Feb 19 to 22:

http://abc7.com/traffic/91-fwy-between-oc-ie-may-be-closed-for-entire-weekend/1175087/

QuoteTraffic between Orange and Riverside counties already crawls on a good day, but next month, it could come to a grinding halt -- at least for a weekend.

The shutdown of the 91 would stretch six miles from State Route 71 to Interstate 15 in Corona.

The closure is needed for the 91 freeway expansion project. It would give construction crews the time to build a new Maple Street bridge, which will span the 91 Freeway.

The Riverside Transportation Commission is in charge of the project.

The Feb. 19 to 22 weekend closure is not set in stone yet. Another possibility includes closing the freeway at night over 10 weekends.

The main project webpage currently has a pop-up window suggesting the same closure dates, along with a dedicated page at http://www.sr91project.info/91-steer-clear:

QuoteOverview
A full closure of eastbound and westbound 91 between the 71 and I-15 will occur from Friday, February 19, 2016 at 9 pm to Monday, February 22, 2016 at 4 am. For details about the 91 Steer Clear, please click the links below.

The 55-hour weekend closure of the 91 will allow crews to consolidate three major construction activities and help ensure the safety of project crews and motorists by eliminating the possibility of conflicts. In case of rainstorms or inclement weather, the closure will be postponed to the next weekend, weather permitting.

Because of the impact that a full closure will have on this heavily traveled roadway, motorists are urged to “steer clear” of the area during this closure. To minimize major travel delays and impacts during the closure, RCTC strongly recommends that motorists plan ahead, avoid travel in the area or stay home. Motorists traveling on the 91, the 71 or I-15 near the project area during the closure period can expect travel delays of three to four hours. If travel cannot be avoided, motorists can use the 57, 60 and I-10 as alternate routes.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

The Ghostbuster

How will anyone survive this construction project? The nearest freeway is many miles away. It's an outrage, I say!

Quillz

I remember the non-issue that was the closure of the 405. I think we'll be fine.

jfs1988

I wonder how full Carbon Canyon Rd (CA-142) or Ortega Highway (CA-74) are gonna be. Well I don't think Carbon Canyon wont be that full since it has nearby Grand Ave & the Pomona Freeway (CA-60) as alternatives.

Desert Man

This stretch of the 91 from Corona starting at the 71 to Anaheim/Orange with the 55 may be the worst freeway traffic in the country. There has to be something done to reduce the traffic congestion problem on the 91. Thanks for the report, remind anyone not to drive in that stretch of the 91 on the Feb. 19-22 weekend.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

andy3175

The 91 closure is here this weekend. It has been dubbed "Coronageddon."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-91-freeway-closure-underway-20160219-story.html

QuoteThe 55-hour closure, dubbed both "Coronageddon"  and "91 Steer Clear" to help get the word out, began Friday soon after 9 p.m. Scores of headlights could be seen stopped at the shutdown point as the CHP routed vehicles off the freeway.

The closure covers a six-mile stretch between Interstate 15 and State Route 71. Transportation officials hope to have the 91 reopened in time for the Monday morning commute.

Workers will bring down the Maple Street bridge, erect a support structure for an eventual ramp and pave some lanes.

Map of closure and alternate routes: http://www.sr91project.info/media/upload/a9zczn9ya8.pdf

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

empirestate

No issues getting through on the 210-71-60 late last night; today we'll try Ortega and see how that goes at midday.

iPhone

bing101

bing101

empirestate

Never did try Ortega; instead we just used surface streets through Corona and that worked out fine. Only issue was some unannounced closures of ramps from nearby freeways, such as CA 241 and I-15 to 91 east. (The freeway was open east of the 241 to the 71 freeway.)

iPhone

The Ghostbuster

If only there was a parallel route to relieve SR 91. Trying to build one today would be impossible.

jrouse

From what I saw, it looked like CA-57 and CA-60 bore the brunt of the traffic during the closure.

iPhone

mrsman

One reason that this was not as bad as it could have been was that the closure was between CA-71 and I-15, instead of between CA-71 and CA-241 (Santa Ana Canyon).  Between 71 and 241, the 91 is literally the only road to use.  There aren't even frontage roads on this section.

With the closure being from 71 to 15, though, there are several local street alternatives that are close to the freeway (Green River rd, as well as taking 71 to 83 and using local roads in Chino), along with some of the main alternatives like Ortega, Carbon Canyon, and the big bypass using the 60.  If the closure were west of 71, you don't even have a frontage road since Green River has never connected to Santa Ana Canyon Rd.

Anyway, the biggest help was that many people stayed away from the area and used alternates and they did work hard to get the job completed on time.

JustDrive

This is true. I took Green River to Paseo Grande to 6th to get around the closure. But if the closure were between Green River and the 241, then Carbon Canyon, Ortega, or the 60 would have been mandatory.

mrsman

Quote from: JustDrive on February 25, 2016, 08:50:18 PM
This is true. I took Green River to Paseo Grande to 6th to get around the closure. But if the closure were between Green River and the 241, then Carbon Canyon, Ortega, or the 60 would have been mandatory.

Yes.  And with first hand knowledge, you can tell us how long it took.

Having a nearby detour may be congested at times, but at least you don't have to drive many miles out of the way.  And at off-peak times (2 in the morning), there probably is very little delay.

MarkF

Here's construction on the new 6th Street interchange from eastbound 91

Work has started on the new carpool connector from northbound I-15 to westbound CA 91

Recorded this yesterday, eastbound CA91 through the Corona construction zone
https://youtu.be/cztBSMb25BE

Desert Man

I took the Metrolink from Riverside down to San Clemente in Aug. 2014 and I witnessed so much traffic on the 91 in Santa Ana canyon. It's better to take a transit line than to drive across the freeway. Last year (June), my Dad and I drove the traffic-clogged 91 and 55, to find 3 cars turned over and burnt in separate sections of the 55. Freeways were meant for improved traffic flow (the number of lanes and higher speed limits), but what happened was they get worse traffic than regular roads.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hm insulators

Of course, it never helps to have burnt-out overturned cars on the freeway, either.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

MarkF

Here's an August 2016 update:

Pavement finished near the I-15 exit from eastbound CA 91. At one point in this area, 91 will be 22 lanes wide:

Carpool exit construction, from CA 91 eastbound to I-15:

Coming in from southbound I-15:

sdmichael

The new Express Lanes are signed, but not paved, on I-15 south of the 91. Should be interesting when they are done. I could have used them on Sunday as I was going EB 91 to SB 15. They are free on a motorcycle, with a transponder (also free).

sparker

Quote from: MarkF on August 25, 2016, 02:48:33 AM
Pavement finished near the I-15 exit from eastbound CA 91. At one point in this area, 91 will be 22 lanes wide:

Ah yes....but shrinking down to how many lanes once you're down into Santa Ana Canyon (and into District 12, not District 8)?  That's always been the downfall of this stretch of 91!

nexus73

Oh heck, make all the freeways 22 lanes...in each direction...LOL!  Seriously though, I wonder how many lanes it will take to handle the load without having so many lanes that the freeway would become difficult to use?

My idea would be to combine the superboulevard concept with limited access.  In the left section there would be 5 lanes for through traffic at a max.  The right section would have 5 lanes with merge extensions at a max.  The two flows going in the same direction would be divided.  For long range commutes, use the inner lanes, which have limited connections with the outer lanes.  Get to the exit that lets the commuter move into the outer lanes, then find the usual local street exit to end the commute.

That kind of separation should hold down lane changes getting so big as to be dangerous.  Sift the traffic volume into appropriate channels! 

Would this idea work better than HOV lanes?  Would it work at all?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

MarkF

Video of the construction zone on eastbound CA 91 from CA 71 to I-15
https://youtu.be/zDgtEI1xqjY

AsphaltPlanet

Has there been any updates on this project?

I was looking at the SR91 website this morning, and it states that the project is expected to be completed in 2017.  Does anyone know when that completion is expected in 2017?  ie. will it be completed in February, 2017, or in November, 2017?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.