News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Today's entry:  I-93 and Logan Airport VMSes with nothing useful to display urge motorists to text message, specifically to vote for Xander Bogaerts for the American League All-Star team.

Bruce

Technically a VMS, but Seattle's buses often switch to a "GO SEAHAWKS", "GO SOUNDERS" or "GO MARINERS" sign instead of their destination. It's a nice gesture, but it actually makes things inconvenient for bus riders and thus should be limited to stretches without any stops.

Metro 2716 "Go Sounders" at 3rd & Pine by SounderBruce, on Flickr

(Sorry for the blurry pic)

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM
Today's entry:  I-93 and Logan Airport VMSes with nothing useful to display urge motorists to text message, specifically to vote for Xander Bogaerts for the American League All-Star team.

#XFORASG

txstateends

The bus display usage should probably be restricted to specific situations like on flyers/shuttles for the individual team going to a game there.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

roadfro

Quote from: Bruce on July 10, 2015, 01:22:12 AM
Technically a VMS, but Seattle's buses often switch to a "GO SEAHAWKS", "GO SOUNDERS" or "GO MARINERS" sign instead of their destination. It's a nice gesture, but it actually makes things inconvenient for bus riders and thus should be limited to stretches without any stops.

The buses here in Reno will often throw in a similar message on the display boards for UNR games, various holidays, and to promote transit events. Such messages constantly rotate with the standard destination signage. Such as:
"1 SOUTH VIRGINIA ST" > "1 MEADOWOOD MALL" > "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" > repeat
"7 NORTH VIRGINIA ST" > "7 STEAD" > "GO WOLF PACK!" > repeat
"9 MILL ST/KIETZKE LN" > "New Year's Eve FREE Safe RIDE / December 31, 6PM - 2AM" (smaller 2-line message) > repeat
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SectorZ

Quote from: spooky on July 10, 2015, 07:32:54 AM

#XFORASG

Yeah, not another proud moment for the Commonwealth. Humorously, they put these up a day before the hashtag on twitter was counted as a vote, which is sad that MLB knows some people are too lazy to just vote on their page. Wondering how many people saw the sign and whipped out the phone right there to post it on twitter.

Pink Jazz

I know that portable VMS used for construction and special events are often hacked.  They are generally password protected, however, the default password (typically "DOTS") is often never changed, and as a result, some prankster will hack them and make them display weird messages.

roadman65

The one in Utah a few years back bashing alternative lifestyles was the most absurd I have ever seen.  The message was totally wrong and the person it was referring to does not hate anyone.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

AsphaltPlanet

I've seen that done in other cities too.  I know buses in Montreal will often say "Go Habs!" during Canadiens games.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

roadman65

In Orlando the same will happen during those rare years when the Magic make the playoffs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

I cannot find a picture of this online: You might recall that amazing comeback by the 1992 Buffalo Bills against the Houston Oilers in the playoffs when the Bills were losing 32—3 but won the game. The following week the Bills played in Pittsburgh and I recall Sports Illustrated had a picture of a VMS on the approach to the Fort Pitt Tunnel that said "Attention Buffalo Fans/Entering Terrible Towel Zone/No Comebacks Allowed." (The Steelers lost, of course, as that was the period when the Bills went to four straight Super Bowls.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

Quote from: Pink Jazz on July 11, 2015, 03:37:12 PM
I know that portable VMS used for construction and special events are often hacked.  They are generally password protected, however, the default password (typically "DOTS") is often never changed, and as a result, some prankster will hack them and make them display weird messages.

This happened in MI on SB I-75 a few years back.  After the World Cup, "Viva Italia" appeared.

spooky

Quote from: Cjzani on July 11, 2015, 02:48:31 PM
Quote from: spooky on July 10, 2015, 07:32:54 AM

#XFORASG

Yeah, not another proud moment for the Commonwealth. Humorously, they put these up a day before the hashtag on twitter was counted as a vote, which is sad that MLB knows some people are too lazy to just vote on their page. Wondering how many people saw the sign and whipped out the phone right there to post it on twitter.

Not enough, apparently - Xander finished 4th out of 5 in the voting for the final spot. The ballot-stuffers in Kansas City successfully voted in Mike Moustakas.

hotdogPi

Quote from: spooky on July 13, 2015, 07:18:43 AM
Not enough, apparently - Xander finished 4th out of 5 in the voting for the final spot. The ballot-stuffers in Kansas City successfully voted in Mike Moustakas.

It's not the first time. Kansas tried to influence voting as early as 1854, with the issue of whether slavery would be allowed or not (however, not in an illegal way).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TEG24601

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 11, 2015, 03:57:13 PM

I've seen that done in other cities too.  I know buses in Montreal will often say "Go Habs!" during Canadiens games.

Don't those cycle with the destination signs?  And if not, aren't they just a shuttle to/from the stadium?
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bruce

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 13, 2015, 12:33:56 PM

Don't those cycle with the destination signs?  And if not, aren't they just a shuttle to/from the stadium?

They cycle, but the problem is that they cycle while they're running between stops and at stops. They should be cycling on their non-stop segments (e.g. freeway segments or long stretches on Aurora and the bridges).

The downtown stadium shuttles don't leave the freeway until the last minute, and this coach was on a local route.

mrsman

Quote from: Bruce on July 13, 2015, 04:34:18 PM

They cycle, but the problem is that they cycle while they're running between stops and at stops. They should be cycling on their non-stop segments (e.g. freeway segments or long stretches on Aurora and the bridges).

The downtown stadium shuttles don't leave the freeway until the last minute, and this coach was on a local route.

Even if they do cycle, it still takes time away from the key messaging information about route and destination.

I'm a regular rider of the DC Metro and they have VMS signs at every station whose main purpose is to list the upcoming 3 trains and how much time you need to wait for them.  (useful) They also may announce a major delay. (useful)

But at times they go through a litany of elevator outages (and in DC there are usually at least 20 stations with a broken elevator).  This information is not generally useful to most people, first because they list every station (not just those on the line) and secondly, the information only really affects the physically handicapped.  It takes so much time to go through the list, that you won't see the upcoming train information.  The information about broken elevators should be limited to announcements on trains as they approach the affected station.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on July 17, 2015, 05:52:31 AM
Quote from: Bruce on July 13, 2015, 04:34:18 PM

Even if they do cycle, it still takes time away from the key messaging information about route and destination.

I'm a regular rider of the DC Metro and they have VMS signs at every station whose main purpose is to list the upcoming 3 trains and how much time you need to wait for them.  (useful) They also may announce a major delay. (useful)

But at times they go through a litany of elevator outages (and in DC there are usually at least 20 stations with a broken elevator).  This information is not generally useful to most people, first because they list every station (not just those on the line) and secondly, the information only really affects the physically handicapped.  It takes so much time to go through the list, that you won't see the upcoming train information.  The information about broken elevators should be limited to announcements on trains as they approach the affected station.

That sucks though for the physically handicapped that are ready to depart the train.  If they had more notice - such as before the train picks them up - they could figure out their next best option, which isn't always the next stop on the line they are on.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Kacie Jane

I see the photo is dated 2014. I read an article earlier year on Seattle Transit Blog (though I can't locate it now) that they were killing the practice. The agency policy was to only use it on long freeway sections as suggested, or going to/from the base, but individual (albeit numerous) drivers were using the signs against policy.

cpzilliacus

The District of Columbia Department of Transportation frequently programs its DMS units on roads heading into D.C. to read this on weekends:

EVENTS DOWNTOWN
AVOID DELAY
USE METRO

Given the documented and chronic unreliability of the Washington Metrorail system, this is probably very bad advice.  I think the ulterior motive is to get a few more people to ride the Metrorail system on the weekends (when capacity is usually available) to slightly reduce its operating deficits.

Even worse, I have seen that message up when most or all of the Metro system had all-weekend-long single tracking operations in effect, which limits headways to a terrible 20 to 30 minutes on most or all of the line.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SP Cook

The WV Turnpike, which is separately (and total mis- ) managed from the regular DOH, uses its VMS boards for sports, all the time.  IMHO, this is dangerous, as people often slow way down when they see to board lit but cannot yet read it.  They also (at toll payer expense) have a whole set of sports outfits for toll takers on gamedays. 

Given that 80% of the traffic is out-of-state and that neither of the Div I colleges are anywhere near the road, it is kind of silly.  And they even use it for Div II colleges and minor league baseball, which probably 95% of the locals could not tell you who was playing.

roadman

Observed an interesting CMS use on Interstate 95 (Route 128) coming home last night.  They had set up a double left lane closure starting at Trapelo Road in Waltham and extending to Routes 4/225 in Lexington.  About 1/3 of a mile south of 4/225, the newly installed overhead message board was displaying "Roadwork To Routes 4/225  Left Two Lanes Closed."

My first reaction was "Good to see an overhead CMS being used for a legitimate traffic purpose for a change"  My second reaction was "Gee, it's kind of late to be telling drivers about the lane closure they'be been in for the past 5 miles, especially as it's about to end in less than half a mile."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jbnv

I found this picture on a New Orleans Saints fan board and made this meme for it. Probably not that absurd since it is rather clever. From the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jbnv

I've seen VMSes in Houston giving directions to a gun show. Absurd or just pure Texas?  :sombrero:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.