Sports Games or Series and Connecting Roads

Started by jbnati27, September 15, 2015, 01:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnati27

Occasionally, there will be a sports game or series and will be given the name of a road connecting the two cities. Has anyone else ever thought of some alternate or lesser known roads that connect competing cities?

For example, I've heard of the I-71 series in reference to Cleveland and Cincinnati playing against each other in baseball or football, or the I-70 series for St. Louis and Kansas City.

Here are some lesser known varieties I've thought of:
Cincinnati-Cleveland - Ohio State Route 3 series
Pittsburgh-Atlanta - US19 series
Cincinnati-Pittsburgh - US22 series
Cincinnati-Minneapolis - US52 series
Cincinnati-Washington DC - US50 series
Boston-Cleveland - US20 series
Chicago-Atlanta - US41 series
Chicago-Tampa Bay - another US41 series
Atlanta-Tampa Bay - yet another US41 series
Add Milwaukee, too, to the US41 series

I'm new here. Maybe this has been visited before? Any thoughts?
There are numerous US40 series out there - Baltimore, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver

Henry

Here's what I could come up with:
Philadelphia-Pittsburgh: I-76/US 30 series
Chicago-Detroit: I-94 series (also include Milwaukee/Minneapolis-St. Paul)
Chicago-St. Louis: I-55 series
Chicago-Cleveland: I-80 & 90 series
Atlanta-Charlotte: I-85 series
Charlotte-Cleveland: I-77 series
Los Angeles-San Francisco: US 101 series
Atlanta-Dallas: I-20 series
Dallas-San Antonio: I-35 series
Dallas-Houston: I-45 series
Houston-San Antonio: I-10 series
Houston-New Orleans: another I-10 series
San Antonio-Phoenix: still another I-10 series
Los Angeles & Jacksonville are also included in the I-10 series

And then there's the I-95 series for Boston/New York/Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington/Jacksonville/Miami. Also there are I-5 series involving teams from Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Los Angeles and San Diego.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

While the roads do not connect the two cities, when the Nationals play Baltimore it's billed as the "Battle of the Beltways." Initially they left off the "s" until people pointed out the absurdity of omitting it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

Seattle-Portland (former NBA, current MLS): I-5 rivalry or I-5 derby. Vancouver can also be included for MLS matches, officially known as the Cascadia Cup. The Seattle Sounders also have a rivalry on the field with LA Galaxy, which is also on the I-5 corridor.
Portland-Salt Lake (MLS): I-84
DC-Philly-NYRB-New England (MLS): I-95

jbnati27

Quote from: Henry on September 15, 2015, 01:36:51 PM
And then there's the I-95 series for Boston/New York/Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington/Jacksonville/Miami.
I believe we can include US1 in lot of those, too. Just trying to give the US Routes and state routes some love, too. :)

spooky

jbnati27

I was suspecting I wasn't the first one to think of this topic.

Bruce

Let's get some lower-league love in here. Washington's statewide soccer league (the Evergreen Premier League) has 8 teams that can be paired up:

• I-5: Bellingham, Seattle, South Sound, Vancouver
  • I-90: Seattle, Spokane
  • US 97: Wenatchee, Yakima

The only odd one out is Olympic Force (Bremerton), which isn't directly connected to Seattle Stars (Tukwila).

jbnati27

Quote from: Bruce on September 15, 2015, 07:52:42 PM

• US 97: Wenatchee, Yakima

This is an example of what I had in mind. This is something kind of reserved for road geeks and it's not a name for the series / game the general public usually thinks about.

jbnati27

I was just thinking the Georgia - Florida football matchup could be the US441 game. HOWEVER, ironically they play in Jacksonville, so can it really be the US441 game?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.