Bridges that aren't slated for reconstruction, but you think they should be

Started by The Ghostbuster, January 19, 2016, 05:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Any bridges in your area that should have been reconstructed, like, yesterday?

Jardine

I drive over this one fairly often:

http://bridgehunter.com/ia/harrison/178170/

However, there are getting to be so few old timey scary bridges around I'm hoping they don't do too much to it.  Just keeping it as a 'safe' 27% sufficiency rating is fine.

:wow:

Big John

^^ The sufficiency number can be misleading as it contains factors besides the structural integrity of the bridge.  The NBI ratings are a truer measure of that and the superstructure and substructure are "3"s, meaning in serious condition and in need of rehabilitation.

Rothman

Heh.  Some NYSDOT engineers were avoiding the Patroon Island Bridge on I-90 until it was repaired.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

I-5 bridge over the Columbia River.  I can't believe that project was abandoned.

SteveG1988

The Castleton Bridge on the New York State Thruway Berkshire Connector. It needs to have a proper barrier installed, and a repaving. Not sure why it has a open grate center. Bridgehunter says it was last done in 1994.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Tom958

GA 120 over Singleton Creek in Gwinnett County, c. 1938. It looks decrepit as hell, but the inspection reports indicate otherwise. It's on a road that would've been expected to be widened as a matter of course, but it never was, and now daily traffic volumes on it have declined to 20k from 25k at the turn of the century.

Scottb5411

From what I've seen, every road deck bridge in Chicago is a collapse waiting to happen. Before the work started, we used to stage buses when shuttling for conventions under the I-55 bridges at McCormick Place in Chicago, it was quite disturbing seeing how badly corroded those support beams were from underneath
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on January 21, 2016, 03:40:21 PM
I-5 bridge over the Columbia River.  I can't believe that project was abandoned.

Didn't it get tossed because they couldn't decide on light rail or something silly? That, or funding.

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on January 22, 2016, 11:34:58 PM

Didn't it get tossed because they couldn't decide on light rail or something silly? That, or funding.

Yeah.  Oregon insisted on light rail because they're tired of commuters driving SOV's into Portland.  Washington didn't want to pay half the cost of light rail.  They had a lot of the planning and soil sampling done already.  So we're back to square one, with a sufficiency rating of 18% for the northbound span.

vdeane

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 22, 2016, 12:45:29 AM
The Castleton Bridge on the New York State Thruway Berkshire Connector. It needs to have a proper barrier installed, and a repaving. Not sure why it has a open grate center. Bridgehunter says it was last done in 1994.
Pretty much everything other than the deck seems to be under perpetual construction on the times I've been on it.  Every time I've been there from 2008 onwards, they've had a work zone with lane closures and speed limit reductions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Those bridges are not likely to survive the next Cascadia Fault Subduction Zone earthquake, which could be a 9.0 (or more).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SteveG1988

The Francis scott key bridge. If you drive over it in a truck you get bucked around in your cab due to the suspended span's expansion joints.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on January 23, 2016, 02:11:14 PM
Pretty much everything other than the deck seems to be under perpetual construction on the times I've been on it.  Every time I've been there from 2008 onwards, they've had a work zone with lane closures and speed limit reductions.

I know they paint the thing quite often.  A lot of the "construction" is really them just painting it again.

On a tangent, I worked with a guy who did bridge inspections for the Thruway.  When he started, his supervisor told him they were going to go inspect the bearings on the Castleton Bridge.  So, they go out there and the supervisor takes a small sledgehammer and can of glossy black spray paint out of the trunk of their vehicle.  They walk down onto a catwalk under the deck and come up to one of the bearings, which, as you can imagine, are quite large.  Supervisor sprays the thing down with the spray paint and whacks the bearing with the sledgehammer a couple of times.  Supervisor says, "Now, we'll see if there are any flaws in the paint as the bearing vibrates."

So far, the thing hasn't fallen down. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dvferyance

No brainer the I-75 Brett Spence bridge in Cincinnati. As far as I am aware there are no plans to replace it.

Jardine

Quote from: Jardine on January 19, 2016, 05:49:19 PM
I drive over this one fairly often:

http://bridgehunter.com/ia/harrison/178170/

However, there are getting to be so few old timey scary bridges around I'm hoping they don't do too much to it.  Just keeping it as a 'safe' 27% sufficiency rating is fine.

:wow:

Was told the county is either preparing a detour around the Medford bridge to allow for some rehab, or the detour is actually a replacement route and the bridge is slated for removal.

I'll try and nail down what's going on.

DeaconG

FL 520 over the Indian River in Cocoa, aka the Hubert Humphrey Bridge.  Two lanes, no shoulders and no sidewalks...it needs the Buckman Bridge solution badly.

At least the westbound Beachline bridge over the river (the old eastbound) is going to be addressed since FDOT is accelerating its plans to widen the Beachline to six lanes betweeen I-95 and Cape Canaveral, also way overdue.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

RobbieL2415

The Bourne and Sagamore bridges spanning the Cape Cod Canal.  Beautiful bridges, well maintained, but just woefully under capacity and design for modern traffic needs.  I know the NIMBYs on the Cape want them to stay in order to control the amount of vacationers that come flooding in every summer.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on January 23, 2016, 02:11:14 PM

They're doing something on it right now. Left lane has been closed in both directions for a while. As long as there is no barrier, it is the only place in New York where you can legally drive 65 on an undivided highway. I avoid that thing for several reasons.

Quote from: Rothman on January 21, 2016, 11:05:23 AM
Heh.  Some NYSDOT engineers were avoiding the Patroon Island Bridge on I-90 until it was repaired.

As did I. Bridge condition reports told me enough. There are a few other bridges in the state I avoid at all costs. One I won't make you guess: US 4 over the Hudson in Northumberland/Easton.

Now that the thread was revived, any bridge on/over the Northway that has yet to be replaced/get a major rehab between Exits 12 and 24. Exit 17 (US 9) is the worst offender and that one is slated for reconstruction, but the Sherman Avenue bridge in Queensbury is a bit disturbing, as are the two pairs between exits 23 and 24 with "temporary" Jersey barriers in front of the original railings. The bridges over US 9 north of Exit 22 had numerous issues in the late 90s-early 2000s, but the SB one was redecked.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 15, 2016, 11:06:50 PM
As long as there is no barrier, it is the only place in New York where you can legally drive 65 on an undivided highway.
Except when there's a work zone speed limit, which is, of course, 100% of the time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lepidopteran

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on June 16, 2016, 12:44:26 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 15, 2016, 11:06:50 PM
As long as there is no barrier, it is the only place in New York where you can legally drive 65 on an undivided highway.
Except when there's a work zone speed limit, which is, of course, 100% of the time.

There was actually nothing going on in March. Seeing the 65 sign right before the bridge heading EB was a shock.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SteveG1988

Are there plans to redeck the Francis Scott Key bridge in MD? The suspended span is murder in a truck.
Roads Clinched

sparker

Just south of Elk Grove, CA there is a railroad overcrossing on SB CA 99 that is a leftover from when the road was only 2 lanes total (pre-1953); its clearance is 14 ft. 5 in.  NB bridged the tracks, presently owned by UP, on an overhead when the highway was twinned (this is one of two remaining over/under combinations on CA 99).  The leading edge of the support girder is a continuous series of deep gashes where overheight or near (the pavement's not too smooth either and trailers tend to bounce!) trucks or trailers have come into contact with the bridge itself.  Side clearance is quite narrow as well; this is likely a candidate for a full rebuild or bypass; "scooping" is probably not an option.   A constant procession of agricultural tractor/trailer rigs goes under this bridge;  but despite that it seems to have evaded Caltrans' radar (no projects here on the current STIP) as a stand-alone project.  It is also immediately north of a series of bridges over the Consumnes River and its floodplain; the SB bridges, lacking shoulders, also date from pre-divided facility.  Given Caltrans' history of CA 99 projects of about 5-15 miles, it's probable that the entire section will be addressed as one entity when funding is forthcoming -- including all bridge replacements.   

kkt

Quote from: sparker on June 19, 2016, 12:19:29 AM
Just south of Elk Grove, CA there is a railroad overcrossing on SB CA 99 that is a leftover from when the road was only 2 lanes total (pre-1953); its clearance is 14 ft. 5 in.  NB bridged the tracks, presently owned by UP, on an overhead when the highway was twinned (this is one of two remaining over/under combinations on CA 99).  The leading edge of the support girder is a continuous series of deep gashes where overheight or near (the pavement's not too smooth either and trailers tend to bounce!) trucks or trailers have come into contact with the bridge itself.  Side clearance is quite narrow as well; this is likely a candidate for a full rebuild or bypass; "scooping" is probably not an option.   A constant procession of agricultural tractor/trailer rigs goes under this bridge;  but despite that it seems to have evaded Caltrans' radar (no projects here on the current STIP) as a stand-alone project.  It is also immediately north of a series of bridges over the Consumnes River and its floodplain; the SB bridges, lacking shoulders, also date from pre-divided facility.  Given Caltrans' history of CA 99 projects of about 5-15 miles, it's probable that the entire section will be addressed as one entity when funding is forthcoming -- including all bridge replacements.   

It's crying out for a third lane each way at the same time the limited height bridge is replaced.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.