News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Large-enough cities passed over for control-city status

Started by golden eagle, April 11, 2016, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on September 09, 2017, 04:16:01 AM
In New Jersey on the mileage signs for NB I-295 pass over Trenton for Ewing.  Trenton is the primary control city (on ramps that list control cities anyway as many ramps just get shield only signs) yet does not get mention on the signs of mileage reference at all.
I am sure someone will point out 295 never enters Trenton city limits and Ewing is more appropriate... I agree Trenton should be used

LGMS428

michravera

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 12, 2016, 07:40:37 PM
US 101 north of Ventura to I believe Salinas skips San Jose, opting for San Francisco.
I-5 north of Los Angeles skips over Bakersfield, opting for Sacramento. It was formerly Bakersfield (many signs on the Arroyo Seco Parkway formerly had the control city of I-5 for Bakersfield).
I-20 at I-10 uses Dallas, instead of Abilene.

"Bakersfield" made perfect sense when I-5 was CASR-99 and until about 1981 when I-5 was finally completed between Sacramento and Stockton. Bakersfield isn't even on I-5, but it was the only city other than San Francisco available from I-5. ... and almost any road you take north or west from the LA area will get you to San Francisco, so signing "San Francisco" in LA isn't useful. Once I-5 was completed to Sacramento, "Sacramento" was the only logical choice.

bing101

Davis, CA it's on I-80 but does not show as a control city due to Sacramento getting priority as the control city because its the State capitol of California. Or Westbound I-80  Davis, CA does not appear as a control city because San Francisco takes hold for control city on I-80.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bing101 on September 10, 2017, 11:32:09 PM
Davis, CA it's on I-80 but does not show as a control city due to Sacramento getting priority as the control city because its the State capitol of California. Or Westbound I-80  Davis, CA does not appear as a control city because San Francisco takes hold for control city on I-80.
Is Davis really that big?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

Quote from: Beltway on September 09, 2017, 09:08:05 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 09, 2017, 04:16:01 AM
In New Jersey on the mileage signs for NB I-295 pass over Trenton for Ewing.  Trenton is the primary control city (on ramps that list control cities anyway as many ramps just get shield only signs) yet does not get mention on the signs of mileage reference at all.

I'll bet that Philadelphia and I-95 has been mentioned numerous times in this thread.
Yet at one time Philadelphia was used as US 40's EB control city along Pulaski Highway between Baltimore and Elkton.  US 40 don't go to Philly, but I am guessing that it was used because before I-95 it both US 40 and US 13 offered a better travel (mostly 4 lanes compared to 2 lanes on US 1 between Bel Air and the PA line, and previously to Kennett Square before the Oxford- Kennett Square Bypass).

One city that gets passed over (not exactly over but more like passed under) is Allentown on I-78 out of Newark, NJ.  Most newer signs especially at I-287 use Easton when its a small city compared to the much larger Allentown only 15 miles behind her.  Easton was used because before PennDOT finally built their missing link through Lehigh Valley in the late 80's, I-78 ended in Greenwich, NJ where traffic then used US 22 which enters Easton directly after leaving NJ.  At that time Easton was the appropriate designation as that was a big enough city as the defacto routing took you there first.  Now I-78 just nicks Easton and gets you to Allentown faster, it should be reconsidered.  After all Allentown is PA's third largest city and now connects with N-S I-476 in its vicinity, which makes it more worthy to be a control city than Easton.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 11, 2017, 09:03:12 PM

No, it is a mid-sized farm town, much smaller than Sacramento or Oakland.  It has a UC campus.  No reason for it to be a control city.

Pink Jazz

As far as Yuma not being included as a control city, there aren't really a lot of significant towns between Casa Grande and Yuma other than Gila Bend.  Yuma occasionally appears on the second row of distance signs between Casa Grande and Gila Bend, so I am not sure if Yuma is really usable as a control city west of Casa Grande, unless they decide to make all of the distance signs list only two cities and exclude San Diego.

mrsman

Quote from: 1 on September 08, 2017, 05:52:30 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 08, 2017, 05:49:37 PM
7. Arlington (#50 - 388,125)  Don't recall seeing on a sign, but it is very close to DC

Texas. DFW.

Ok.  To close to Dallas and fort Worth so no need for a control on 20 or 30.  It is a control on some n-s freeways in the area.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 10, 2017, 02:16:03 AM
I'm trying to think of any in Michigan.

I-69 uses Port Huron, Flint, Lansing and Fort Wayne, all of which are legit.

I-75 uses Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Mackinac Bridge and Sault Ste Marie, all are legit.

I-94 uses Port Huron, Detroit and Chicago. Now this might be where I have found one, Chicago is used from Detroit on west at major interchanges while smaller Michigan towns are used at other interchanges. Going west from Detroit I would think it should be Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, then Chicago.

I-96 uses Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Lansing and Detroit, all are legit.
I've seen Ann Arbor, Jackson, and Marshall (I-69) used from local interchanges on I-94.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on January 06, 2018, 06:36:46 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 10, 2017, 02:16:03 AM
I'm trying to think of any in Michigan.

I-69 uses Port Huron, Flint, Lansing and Fort Wayne, all of which are legit.

I-75 uses Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Mackinac Bridge and Sault Ste Marie, all are legit.

I-94 uses Port Huron, Detroit and Chicago. Now this might be where I have found one, Chicago is used from Detroit on west at major interchanges while smaller Michigan towns are used at other interchanges. Going west from Detroit I would think it should be Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, then Chicago.

I-96 uses Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Lansing and Detroit, all are legit.
I've seen Ann Arbor, Jackson, and Marshall (I-69) used from local interchanges on I-94.
They use those cities too but most of the time it's Chicago and Detroit.

pdx-wanderer

Gresham, the fourth largest city in Oregon, is completely skipped on eastbound I-84 in favor of The Dalles.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on January 06, 2018, 10:59:57 PM
Gresham, the fourth largest city in Oregon, is completely skipped on eastbound I-84 in favor of The Dalles.
I know where The Dalles is. Isn't Gresham a suburb?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 07, 2018, 04:54:27 PM
The Dalles is about 75 miles from Gresham, which is a suburb of Portland. I would think that Gresham is just too close to Portland to make sense to be a control city.

Warren is Michigan's third largest city and I don't recall of it ever being used as a control city anywhere, not even on I-696 they use Port Huron and Lansing instead.

US 89

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Is+Gresham%2C+OR+a+suburb%3F

That said, generally DOTs don’t use suburbs as control cities. Instead, major cities farther away are typically used.

Flint1979

Quote from: kkt on September 11, 2017, 09:36:32 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 11, 2017, 09:03:12 PM

No, it is a mid-sized farm town, much smaller than Sacramento or Oakland.  It has a UC campus.  No reason for it to be a control city.
Sacramento just makes much more sense anyway, for one Sacramento is much bigger and for two Davis is a suburb of it.

Flint1979

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 07, 2018, 04:58:57 PM

That said, generally DOTs don't use suburbs as control cities, favoring an independent city farther away instead.
Unless your in Chicago and get to see the control city of "West Suburbs."

mrsman

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 07, 2018, 05:00:58 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on January 07, 2018, 04:58:57 PM

That said, generally DOTs don't use suburbs as control cities, favoring an independent city farther away instead.
Unless your in Chicago and get to see the control city of "West Suburbs."

IMO it is far better to use cities of national importance as controls on longer routes, especially 2 dis.

Suburbs have their place.  Certainly there are many short freeways that only go to the suburbs.  Beltways should be signed for both long distance cities (on a different radial route) and if possible also for suburbs that it serves.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 07, 2018, 04:57:20 PM
Warren is Michigan's third largest city and I don't recall of it ever being used as a control city anywhere, not even on I-696 they use Port Huron and Lansing instead.

Interestingly, new signage on eastbound I-96 added Southfield as a control city (along with Port Huron) for eastbound I-696.

ftballfan

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 07, 2018, 06:35:12 PM

Interestingly, new signage on eastbound I-96 added Southfield as a control city (along with Port Huron) for eastbound I-696.

Then again, Southfield is home to a major interchange (I-696/M-10/US-24).

Along non-interstates in MI, Mt. Pleasant is skipped over for Clare on US-127. Mt. Pleasant is home to a Division I FBS school and has about 20-25,000 people, while Clare is much smaller.

I-69 along the north end of Lansing (between US-127 and I-96) uses Fort Wayne instead of Grand Rapids for the most part; however, the NB US-127 to WB I-69 ramp uses Grand Rapids as a control city (SB to WB uses Fort Wayne).

mapman1071

I-11    I-10 to I-40
Phoenix  - SB Only
Wickenberg
Kingman  - NB Only

I-11      I-40 to I-15
Kingman  - SB Only
Needles  - SB Only
Hoover Dam
Boulder City
Las Vegas  - NB Only

I-11      I-15 to I-80
Las Vegas  - SB Only
Tonapah
Reno  - NB Only

US 89

Quote from: mapman1071 on January 08, 2018, 05:30:02 PM
I-11    I-10 to I-40
Phoenix  - SB Only
Wickenberg
Kingman  - NB Only

I-11      I-40 to I-15
Kingman  - SB Only
Needles  - SB Only
Hoover Dam
Boulder City
Las Vegas  - NB Only

I-11      I-15 to I-80
Las Vegas  - SB Only
Tonapah
Reno  - NB Only

The only cities on that list that should really be used are Vegas, Reno, and Phoenix.

roadman65

Didn't Norfolk used to be VA's largest city before VA Beach?  If that were so, than that would explain why along the Delmarva as far north as Wilmington, DE, the City of Norfolk is used on US 13 heading south.

Of course now you have to pass through VA largest city to reach Norfolk yet only on a few mileage signs in VA's Eastern Shore does the beach destination get a mention on a guide sign.

I also assume Norfolk is the most popular choice for even I-64 out of Richmond for that reason, as well as the city being home to the US Naval Base getting it fame as well.  However, I-64 does not enter VA Beach as US 13 does, so I-64 is more justified than Route 13.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 08, 2018, 05:34:10 PM
Quote from: mapman1071 on January 08, 2018, 05:30:02 PM
I-11    I-10 to I-40
Phoenix  - SB Only
Wickenberg
Kingman  - NB Only

I-11      I-40 to I-15
Kingman  - SB Only
Needles  - SB Only
Hoover Dam
Boulder City
Las Vegas  - NB Only

I-11      I-15 to I-80
Las Vegas  - SB Only
Tonapah
Reno  - NB Only

The only cities on that list that should really be used are Vegas, Reno, and Phoenix.
I would sign Kingman, but only on signs with 2 control cities.

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on January 08, 2018, 07:12:45 PM
However, I-64 does not enter VA Beach as US 13 does, so I-64 is more justified than Route 13.

I-64 does indeed enter Va Beach, though only for about 3 miles or so (about 1 1/2 miles on either side of Indian River Rd). Images from GSV:

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

wanderer2575

Quote from: ftballfan on January 08, 2018, 12:38:33 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 07, 2018, 06:35:12 PM

Then again, Southfield is home to a major interchange (I-696/M-10/US-24).

Along non-interstates in MI, Mt. Pleasant is skipped over for Clare on US-127. Mt. Pleasant is home to a Division I FBS school and has about 20-25,000 people, while Clare is much smaller.

Clare is home to a major interchange (US-127 and US-10).  As you noted with Southfield, that might be what gives it the nod.

Quote from: ftballfan on January 08, 2018, 12:38:33 PM
I-69 along the north end of Lansing (between US-127 and I-96) uses Fort Wayne instead of Grand Rapids for the most part; however, the NB US-127 to WB I-69 ramp uses Grand Rapids as a control city (SB to WB uses Fort Wayne).

Hard to imagine that anybody driving north on US-127 ultimately is heading to Fort Wayne, so this one makes sense.  There's also the simple issue of different signs composed by different people at different times, and consistency sometimes gets lost.  For example, the control city for northbound M-10 is Southfield -- except at the M-8 interchange in Detroit/Highland Park, where the signs show Lansing as the control city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.