The New US-70 Goldsboro NC Bypass: Observations, GPS Outline, And A Few Pics

Started by slorydn1, May 30, 2016, 10:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

There was a brief time when today's US 70 through Selma was US 70 Bus first, from July 1997 to Oct 1997.  What is now US 70 Bypass was vanilla 70 during that time and the 70 Bus through Smithfield already existed by then.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/Route%20Changes/US64_19970725.pdf
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1997_10_31B.pdf

There is also the weirdness with NC 39 in the late 1990s (haven't found any NCDOT documents on this) which was supposedly going to replace US 70 ALT east of I-95 and there is(was?) a NC 39 JCT assembly on 70A west approaching US 70 Bus as late as 2011.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 01, 2016, 09:42:30 PM
There is also the weirdness with NC 39 in the late 1990s (haven't found any NCDOT documents on this) which was supposedly going to replace US 70 ALT east of I-95 and there is(was?) a NC 39 JCT assembly on 70A west approaching US 70 Bus as late as 2011.

It still shows this on NCDOT county maps.

Avalanchez71

Does NC pay for it's road network or does it float bonds and accrue debt?  Why in the world would you need a bypass of the bypass like that?  This is not anything like the Kokomo IN situation.

slorydn1

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 03, 2016, 07:30:43 PM
Does NC pay for it's road network or does it float bonds and accrue debt?  Why in the world would you need a bypass of the bypass like that?  This is not anything like the Kokomo IN situation.

Not sure on the funding, I am guessing a mixture of both.

The "bypass" that is now just mainline US-70 through Goldsboro is an absolute mess. Tight entrance/exit ramps, very little in the way of acceleration lanes, a 55 mph speed limit that is one of the few I agree with. Add to that no room to expand, really no way to convert the rest of the expressway east of town to a freeway without having to take a large number of homes/businesses out, no room to improve the interchange west of town between I-795 and the US-13/US-70 freeway-I could go on and on as to the reasons why it was necessary.

The ramp leading from what becomes US-70 Business at Grantham St to the freeway segment is an extremely tight radius 270 degree turn with a posted 15 mph advisory speed and they really mean it.  Good luck accelerating up to highway speeds from that in the short distance they provide for you do so, especially of you are stuck behind a semi or are in an under-powered wheezemobile.

There has been a plan in the works to covert most if not all of the Raliegh to Morehead City corridor to freeway long before anyone thought to make it an Interstate corridor, and there was no way to convert the existing US-70 mainline to a freeway between the current western terminus of the new bypass and Elroy to the east of town, and really no way to make all the fixes necessary to the existing freeway through town to bring it up to interstate standards.

So, you are right about it not being like the Kokomo situation, in some small ways it was worse. In other ways, no, but it would have meant no freeway to the coast.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 03, 2016, 07:55:57 PM

The "bypass" that is now just mainline US-70 through Goldsboro is an absolute mess. Tight entrance/exit ramps, very little in the way of acceleration lanes, a 55 mph speed limit that is one of the few I agree with. Add to that no room to expand, really no way to convert the rest of the expressway east of town to a freeway without having to take a large number of homes/businesses out, no room to improve the interchange west of town between I-795 and the US-13/US-70 freeway-I could go on and on as to the reasons why it was necessary.

The ramp leading from what becomes US-70 Business at Grantham St to the freeway segment is an extremely tight radius 270 degree turn with a posted 15 mph advisory speed and they really mean it.  Good luck accelerating up to highway speeds from that in the short distance they provide for you do so, especially of you are stuck behind a semi or are in an under-powered wheezemobile.

There has been a plan in the works to covert most if not all of the Raliegh to Morehead City corridor to freeway long before anyone thought to make it an Interstate corridor, and there was no way to convert the existing US-70 mainline to a freeway between the current western terminus of the new bypass and Elroy to the east of town, and really no way to make all the fixes necessary to the existing freeway through town to bring it up to interstate standards.

So, you are right about it not being like the Kokomo situation, in some small ways it was worse. In other ways, no, but it would have meant no freeway to the coast.

This!
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

North Carolina pays for its road network and I believe it has always done so (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) The only exceptions are the two toll road projects (NC 540 and the Monroe Expressway). Last year the governor wanted a bond issue that included highways, but the General Assembly refused to include roads and the bonds covered only projects at universities and parks.

WashuOtaku

Does NC pay for it's road network or does it float bonds and accrue debt?

Yes.  NCDOT maintains the second largest highway system in the nation and it is paid by three sources:  Motor Fuel Tax, DMV Fees and Highway Use Tax.

NCDOT also have bonds, but they are only for the toll roads (i.e. Triangle Expressway and Monroe Bypass) and will be paid back via tolls.

bob7374

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 03, 2016, 10:12:57 PM

North Carolina pays for its road network and I believe it has always done so (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) The only exceptions are the two toll road projects (NC 540 and the Monroe Expressway). Last year the governor wanted a bond issue that included highways, but the General Assembly refused to include roads and the bonds covered only projects at universities and parks.
NCDOT has financed some its projects, such as construction of portions of I-73 and I-74, through the use of what are called GARVEE bonds. Money is borrowed against the state's future federal highway funding to pay for current construction.
Here's the Wikipedia page with more:
]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GARVEE]

CanesFan27

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 01, 2016, 09:42:30 PM
There was a brief time when today's US 70 through Selma was US 70 Bus first, from July 1997 to Oct 1997.  What is now US 70 Bypass was vanilla 70 during that time and the 70 Bus through Smithfield already existed by then.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/Route%20Changes/US64_19970725.pdf
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1997_10_31B.pdf

Mike,

There was at one time an End NC 39 sign at the US 70/US 70A intersection in the late 90s and maybe the early 2000s.  I recall seeing it - however I don't remember if I took a photo or not.  (I found a box of old photos in the attic the other day maybe I can see if I did).  There is now an end NC 39 sign on US 301 South at US 70.

NC 39 South End by Adam Prince, on Flickr

CanesFan27

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 03, 2016, 07:55:57 PM

And don't forget the odd RIRO's that have slowly been closed along the original 70 bypass.  There have been many minor safety improvements made over the past 15 years.

CanesFan27

Here is my one concern about the Goldsboro Bypass being Interstate standards - is the bridge that carries 70 over the Little River and Claridge Nursery Road.  The outside shoulders are not at standard.  Now the length of the bridge may allow an exception, but narrow outside shoulders carrying 295 over the Cape Fear River is part of the reason it's now NC 295 for the time being.  This is a photo of the US 70 bridge taken earlier this year - sorry it was from my iPhone:

Untitled by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Mapmikey

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 04, 2016, 04:39:21 PM

There was at one time an End NC 39 sign at the US 70/US 70A intersection in the late 90s and maybe the early 2000s.  I recall seeing it - however I don't remember if I took a photo or not.  (I found a box of old photos in the attic the other day maybe I can see if I did).  There is now an end NC 39 sign on US 301 South at US 70.

NC 39 was also posted on I-95 BGSs.  I had thought at the time that NC 39 was being added to the short freeway connector between 70 ALT and the new 70 freeway that had no 95 access.  I never got off the interstate to check it out...

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 04, 2016, 04:45:49 PM
Here is my one concern about the Goldsboro Bypass being Interstate standards - is the bridge that carries 70 over the Little River and Claridge Nursery Road.  The outside shoulders are not at standard.  Now the length of the bridge may allow an exception, but narrow outside shoulders carrying 295 over the Cape Fear River is part of the reason it's now NC 295 for the time being.  This is a photo of the US 70 bridge taken earlier this year - sorry it was from my iPhone:

The inner shoulder might be iffy, but the outside shoulder looks fine to me.  :hmm: It's definitely wider than NC-295. I don't think there will be a problem getting I-42 shields on it, IMO. 

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on June 04, 2016, 05:45:36 PM

The inner shoulder might be iffy, but the outside shoulder looks fine to me.  :hmm: It's definitely wider than NC-295. I don't think there will be a problem getting I-42 shields on it, IMO. 

You are right; I meant the inside shoulder. 

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 04, 2016, 06:01:12 PM

The inner shoulder isn't that substandard, if any. There is still some gap between the concrete barrier and the yellow line (which is more than some parts of I-70 in western PA). Between the fact that it's a pretty long bridge and the fact that at least the outside shoulders meet standards (unlike NC-295), I doubt NCDOT would have much of a problem getting a waiver from FHWA, should one be needed. I could be wrong, but I would still bet on I-42 shields going up in Clayton and Goldsboro either by the end of the year or sometime next spring.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on June 04, 2016, 07:01:37 PM

The inner shoulder isn't that substandard, if any. There is still some gap between the concrete barrier and the yellow line (which is more than some parts of I-70 in western PA). Between the fact that it's a pretty long bridge and the fact that at least the outside shoulders meet standards (unlike NC-295), I doubt NCDOT would have much of a problem getting a waiver from FHWA, should one be needed. I could be wrong, but I would still bet on I-42 shields going up in Clayton and Goldsboro either by the end of the year or sometime next spring.

The bridge is fine, I'm sure it is not an issue.  The bridges on NC 295 wasn't the only issue that stopped it from being I-295, the other being the at-grade interchange with I-95 and US 13.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 05, 2016, 01:03:39 AM

The bridge is fine, I'm sure it is not an issue.  The bridges on NC 295 wasn't the only issue that stopped it from being I-295, the other being the at-grade interchange with I-95 and US 13.

Indeed. I forgot about the substandard I-95/US-13 interchange.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on June 05, 2016, 11:22:05 AM

For those interested in seeing photos of the NC 295 bridge and current interchange with I-95, visit my Future I-295/Fayetteville Loop page: http://gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut295.html

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on June 05, 2016, 04:49:59 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 05, 2016, 11:22:05 AM

For those interested in seeing photos of the NC 295 bridge and current interchange with I-95, visit my Future I-295/Fayetteville Loop page: http://gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut295.html

Neat! Thanks.

slorydn1

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 30, 2016, 10:42:01 PM

Beginning of the bypass heading Eastbound
These signs need to be changed. If you follow the signs you will be going the old way through Goldsboro to get to Kinston and New Bern.

I just wanted to let everyone know that these signs at the western beginning of the bypass have been changed, they are now correct. I came through there just after midnight Saturday Night/Sunday Morning so I didn't get a picture.

I will tell you that they are some of the biggest APL's I have ever seen, the kind that would make jakeroot up in Seattle jealous, LOL.

I'll try to remember to grab a picture the next time I am through there possibly in a couple of weeks.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 05, 2016, 04:13:37 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on May 30, 2016, 10:42:01 PM

Beginning of the bypass heading Eastbound
These signs need to be changed. If you follow the signs you will be going the old way through Goldsboro to get to Kinston and New Bern.

I just wanted to let everyone know that these signs at the western beginning of the bypass have been changed, they are now correct. I came through there just after midnight Saturday Night/Sunday Morning so I didn't get a picture.

I will tell you that they are some of the biggest APL's I have ever seen, the kind that would make jakeroot up in Seattle jealous, LOL.

I'll try to remember to grab a picture the next time I am through there possibly in a couple of weeks.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. At least Princeton isn't the control city for US-70 East. :-D I keep hoping that NCDOT would take a good look at a map and realize what a dumb move they made in using La Grange as the control city for US-70 at the eastern split and change it to Goldsboro, but I'm not holding my breath for that one. :no:

BTW, just to give you a heads up, you may run into some construction on US-70 between the eastern end of the Goldsboro Bypass and Kinston the next time you head towards Goldsboro. NCDOT recently let a contract to widen the shoulders on two sections of US-70 between La Grange and Kinston. The first section is between the Bear Creek bridge next to the eastern end of the Goldsboro Bypass and the Falling Creek bridge just west of the US-70/CF Harvey Parkway interchange and the second section is between just east of Sanderson Way and Mt. Vernon Park Drive in Kinston. Construction is supposed to begin anytime now and is supposed to be finished by March 2017, weather permitting. This will bring the freeway section of US-70 around La Grange to Interstate standards.

http://m.wcti12.com/news/us-70-improvements-coming-in-lenoir-county/39945590

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.