News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Yet another Maryland and Virginia meet - Managed Lanes

Started by cpzilliacus, June 05, 2016, 08:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

MTantillo and I have discussed a meet to focus on managed lanes in the two states (and perhaps a small part of the District of Columbia). 

The first day would probably be the I-395/I-95 lanes from D.C. to Stafford County, Va.; I-495 and possibly the pending conversion of a long section of I-66 from "free" and HOV lanes to a combination of HOV/toll lanes and free lanes.

The second day would be Md. 200 and the I-95 Express Toll Lanes, and possibly a bonus visit to the reconstruction of the Canton Viaduct (I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)) north of the north portal.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 05, 2016, 08:06:33 PM
MTantillo and I have discussed a meet to focus on managed lanes in the two states (and perhaps a small part of the District of Columbia). 

The first day would probably be the I-395/I-95 lanes from D.C. to Stafford County, Va.; I-495 and possibly the pending conversion of a long section of I-66 from "free" and HOV lanes to a combination of HOV/toll lanes and free lanes.

The second day would be Md. 200 and the I-95 Express Toll Lanes, and possibly a bonus visit to the reconstruction of the Canton Viaduct (I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)) north of the north portal.

Any dates in mind? And would there be enough there to require two days?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on June 05, 2016, 09:10:23 PM

Any dates in mind? And would there be enough there to require two days?

Dates are a must. It could be done in one day, but that would be quite the long day, especially if traffic is bad.

If you could set it up to be the weekend after TRB (or the day before), some of us will be in town already, so that might increase potential turnout. If it coincides with TRB and it doesn't conflict with the presentation I'll likely be giving, I'd be a definite lock.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

Easy. It'll have to be in July, as I leave for Richmond in about two weeks, and will be gone for a week.

froggie

Sounds like a revisiting of meets held in the 2010-2011 timeframe.

QuoteIf you could set it up to be the weekend after TRB (or the day before), some of us will be in town already, so that might increase potential turnout.

TransportationCamp is typically the day before TRB begins, so I wouldn't suggest doing it that day.  Also, if the intention is to do this in January, then it very well would require two days given daylight limitations, so that weekend before TRB wouldn't work anyway.

dgolub

tckma

Keep in mind that a lot of these roads have congestion pricing and are E-Z Pass only.  You'd have to make sure all (driver) participants had an E-Z Pass and try to schedule the road meet for off hours to save people toll money.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: tckma on June 07, 2016, 11:59:12 AM

Keep in mind that a lot of these roads have congestion pricing and are E-Z Pass only.  You'd have to make sure all (driver) participants had an E-Z Pass and try to schedule the road meet for off hours to save people toll money.

The managed lanes in Northern Virginia all give free passage to HOV-3 vehicles with an E-ZPass Flex transponder. That does not include VA-267 (Dulles Toll Road and Dulles Greenway)

Unfortunately, not the case with the Maryland managed facilities (I-95 ETLs and MD-200 (ICC)).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cl94 on June 05, 2016, 09:44:21 PM
Dates are a must. It could be done in one day, but that would be quite the long day, especially if traffic is bad.

If you could set it up to be the weekend after TRB (or the day before), some of us will be in town already, so that might increase potential turnout. If it coincides with TRB and it doesn't conflict with the presentation I'll likely be giving, I'd be a definite lock.

MTantillo and I have discussed informally, but have not at all talked about a date. 

tckma

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 07, 2016, 12:54:54 PM

The managed lanes in Northern Virginia all give free passage to HOV-3 vehicles with an E-ZPass Flex transponder. That does not include VA-267 (Dulles Toll Road and Dulles Greenway)

Unfortunately, not the case with the Maryland managed facilities (I-95 ETLs and MD-200 (ICC)).

I do not have an E-Z Pass Flex.  When Gov. Hogan eliminated the monthly fee, and I finally decided to close the Massachusetts Fast Lane account I got in 2000 when I lived up there and replace it with a Maryland E-Z Pass account (Mass Pike toll discounts aren't that useful to me anymore, but I didn't like the monthly fee, which Mass didn't charge but Maryland did), I read somewhere that they replace it with a regular E-Z Pass if you don't use it enough in HOV mode.  Considering it's not often I use toll roads anyway, and the fact that I've only got two people in my household, I'd rarely, if ever, use the Flex Transponder in HOV-3 mode.  I don't think dogs count as vehicle occupants for HOV purposes. ;)

froggie

Given past precedent/attendence, it's a safe bet that many (most?) East Coast meet attendees have an EZPass.

1995hoo

I may be interested, depending on the date. I do not yet have an E-ZPass Flex, though I plan to get one when tolling starts on I-66 inside the Beltway because they've said the threshold to ride free there will be HOV-2 instead of -3.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

PHLBOS

The location of this meet makes it possible for me to do either a day-trip (Saturday) or even a weekend; but the big if is the date.  Some months are fairly open; others (like this month) are already packed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tckma

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2016, 06:22:42 AM
Given past precedent/attendence, it's a safe bet that many (most?) East Coast meet attendees have an EZPass.

EZPass, yes.  EZPass Flex, no.

froggie

Still, if one's traveling significant mileage to attend a meet (as many do), what's a few bucks in tolls?  One will typically burn that much in gas in detouring just to clinch a county or a highway or two.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2016, 10:57:57 AM
Still, if one's traveling significant mileage to attend a meet (as many do), what's a few bucks in tolls?  One will typically burn that much in gas in detouring just to clinch a county or a highway or two.

That's what I'm thinking. Living in the northeast, I factor tolls into everything. I'd pay more in tolls to get to the meet than I would actually driving the HOT lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on June 08, 2016, 11:27:58 AM
Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2016, 10:57:57 AM

That's what I'm thinking. Living in the northeast, I factor tolls into everything. I'd pay more in tolls to get to the meet than I would actually driving the HOT lanes.
Additionally, once everyone arrives at the beginning of a meet (at least for the ones I've attended); people will typically group together and car pool (consolidate the number of vehicles used) where possible during the course of the meet.  If an encountered toll is exorbitant, even for meet purposes; passengers in the vehicle can contribute a portion of the toll.  Whether such is done as a separate transaction or a reimbursed post-meet dinner (the latter could be considered a contribution for gas as well as tolls) is up to the individuals in said-car pool.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Laura

CPZ and Tantillo already know that I'm in for this ;)

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.