News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cleveland Curse broken

Started by Stephane Dumas, June 19, 2016, 10:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

After the Calder cup championship for the Lake Erie Monsters. LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers bring the first NBA championship for Cleveland.

The Cleveland curse is finally broken for hockey and basketball.
http://fox8.com/2016/06/19/cleveland-curse-broken-cavs-make-history-with-nba-championship-title/
Will the Indians and Browns get the same luck?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 19, 2016, 10:43:10 PM
After the Calder cup championship for the Lake Erie Monsters. LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers bring the first NBA championship for Cleveland.

The Cleveland curse is finally broken for hockey and basketball.
http://fox8.com/2016/06/19/cleveland-curse-broken-cavs-make-history-with-nba-championship-title/
Will the Indians and Browns get the same luck?

Indians have a shot, considering Tito helped break a certain curse that was 34 years longer than the Cleveland curse.  As for the Browns, odds are longer than they were for Leicester City winning the Premiership.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Buck87

NBA Champions!

What a great comeback to get it done and end the championship drought in Cleveland

US 41

Congrats to Cleveland! Lebron James finally won a title where he should win one. Kyrie Irving was also unstoppable for the most part. Cleveland deserved to win the Finals this year.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Max Rockatansky

Does this mean that people from Cleveland will stop complaining about teams not winning a championship?  Seriously I've been listening to stuff like that my entire life because two of my cousins are from Cleveland...hopefully this doesn't turn into woe is me about the Browns or Indians now.  I guess that ESPN documentary doesn't really mean much anymore.  So basically it's now just Cubs as the last infamous sports curse that's still out there?

Henry

As a Bulls fan who still remembers all those years that MJ tormented the Cavs in the late 80s and early 90s, I'm glad that LeBron James won a championship with his home team. Sure, it was nice to see him win two in Miami, but this one surpasses them both.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 20, 2016, 09:09:03 AM
Does this mean that people from Cleveland will stop complaining about teams not winning a championship?  Seriously I've been listening to stuff like that my entire life because two of my cousins are from Cleveland...hopefully this doesn't turn into woe is me about the Browns or Indians now.  I guess that ESPN documentary doesn't really mean much anymore.  So basically it's now just Cubs as the last infamous sports curse that's still out there?
Don't forget the 0-4 (as in Super Bowls) that both the Vikings and Bills have to suffer through; the Broncos had to go through the same thing until they won two at the end of John Elway's career.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on June 20, 2016, 10:38:08 AM
As a Bulls fan who still remembers all those years that MJ tormented the Cavs in the late 80s and early 90s, I'm glad that LeBron James won a championship with his home team. Sure, it was nice to see him win two in Miami, but this one surpasses them both.

Don't forget the 0-4 (as in Super Bowls) that both the Vikings and Bills have to suffer through; the Broncos had to go through the same thing until they won two at the end of John Elway's career.

I'd say the Lions are pretty bad not having a championship since 1957.  But it's hard to complain with all the championships the Red Wings, Tigers and Pistons have won in my lifetime. He'll even Michigan has a National Championship in Football and basketball

jeffandnicole

Well, for Cleveland, it was EVERY sport that was cursed for 52 years!  At least the Cubs are in Chicago, which has numerous championships as a whole.   Milwaukee hasn't had a championship for 26 years (unless you want to lump the Packers into that city).  Minneapolis & Washington DC haven't had a championship for 25 years, DC being notable for now having teams from the 4 major American sports playing there.  Toronto & Atlanta are 23 years each.

So, to put it into comparison, Cleveland hadn't won a championship not for a year or two longer than any other city, but nearly double the time of any other city!

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2016, 01:15:06 PM
Milwaukee hasn't had a championship for 26 years (unless you want to lump the Packers into that city)
The last championship for Milwaukee was the 1971 Bucks IIRC.

jp the roadgeek

Houston has been pretty starved for championships.  Other than the two that the Rockets won during the Jordan hiatus, the Astros have never won one, and the last football team to win one was the 1961 Oilers.  The Aeros of the WHA won two in 73-74 and 74-75. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Well, for Cleveland, it was EVERY sport that was cursed for 52 years!  At least the Cubs are in Chicago, which has numerous championships as a whole.   Milwaukee hasn't had a championship for 26 years (unless you want to lump the Packers into that city).  Minneapolis & Washington DC haven't had a championship for 25 years, DC being notable for now having teams from the 4 major American sports playing there.  Toronto & Atlanta are 23 years each.

So, to put it into comparison, Cleveland hadn't won a championship not for a year or two longer than any other city, but nearly double the time of any other city!

Yeah but your talking about a city where everyone is basically an Ohio State fan....Columbus or not they are mostly Ohio State people.  So when you have the Buckeye's winning major college championships in football it's hard me to feel sorry for my cousins out there.  I would look at a city like Buffalo as having it much worse with all those Superbowls only to have two teams that stand no chance at a title these days.

Quote from: Big John on June 20, 2016, 01:40:56 PM
Milwaukee hasn't had a championship for 26 years (unless you want to lump the Packers into that city)

I remember when the Packers used to play a couple games a year in Milwaukee, they basically are the defacto NFL team.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 20, 2016, 02:22:32 PM
Houston has been pretty starved for championships.  Other than the two that the Rockets won during the Jordan hiatus, the Astros have never won one, and the last football team to win one was the 1961 Oilers.  The Aeros of the WHA won two in 73-74 and 74-75.

And they won them in the two years that Jordan was out otherwise it would have been 8 in a row.  What about Salt Lake City with the Jazz?  Talk about a team that got close so many times but could never deliver at the end of the day.

cl94

College sports is different from pro sports and Cleveland isn't Columbus. Cleveland and Buffalo have been the butt of sports jokes for decades. Cleveland finally has something to be proud of.

Buffalo's last championship was in 1965. The Sabres had "no goal" in 1999 and the Bills lost 4 straight Super Bowls, the first of those being Wide Right. The Buffalo Braves (now LA Clippers) weren't good, either.

San Diego's last was 1963 and it still has the longest winless streak of a city with 2 or more major pro sports teams, but it never was the butt of as many jokes. With Cleveland's win, Buffalo takes the #2 spot.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on June 20, 2016, 05:33:24 PM
College sports is different from pro sports and Cleveland isn't Columbus. Cleveland and Buffalo have been the butt of sports jokes for decades. Cleveland finally has something to be proud of.

Buffalo's last championship was in 1965. The Sabres had "no goal" in 1999 and the Bills lost 4 straight Super Bowls, the first of those being Wide Right. The Buffalo Braves (now LA Clippers) weren't good, either.

San Diego's last was 1963 and it still has the longest winless streak of a city with 2 or more major pro sports teams, but it never was the butt of as many jokes. With Cleveland's win, Buffalo takes the #2 spot.

Put it this way, I'm originally from Detroit and I along with most people I know consider Michigan Wolverines sports to be pretty representative of the Detroit area...not Ann Arbor.  To a lesser extent Michigan State is kind of like that as well...not for me though.  At least for me they are on the same level...at least football and basketball.  While Michigan winning a couple NCAA championships in hockey was nice...it isn't the same thing, the NCAA is all about Basketball and Football for big time sports these days on a national level.  So I kindly reminded my cousins of that with Ohio State several times and yes they are already complaining about the Browns. Now I'll grant you this, if the Lions ever one a Super Bowl there might be 2 million people at the parade on Woodward...for whatever reason they have almost always been the most popular team in the city.

Yeah how is San Diego getting a pass in all of this talk?  They always seem to slip right under the radar in the talks.  Another one that doesn't have a very good history is Phoenix.  Outside of one World Series the teams haven't been very good on the whole.  The Suns were good during the Charles Barkley era and the Cardinals have been the last couple years with Kurt Warner then Carson Palmer.  The Coyotes have always been a joke and they are in the way wrong city.

jeffandnicole

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2016, 06:56:20 PM
Here's my source for longest droughts: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/now-that-cleveland-has-won-a-championship-which-city-has-the-longest-title-drought

Saying Buffalo has no title is technically inaccurate, as the Bills won in the pre-Super Bowl days and before the merger.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dvferyance

Quote from: Big John on June 20, 2016, 01:40:56 PM
The Packers play 120 miles north in in Green Bay. Totally separate city.

tdindy88

But the Packers do represent Wisconsin more than anything else, don't they? Kind of like that Ohio State example. As for Cleveland, I am happy for them, a city that has gone through a lot (and still more to come next month) deserves to be this joyous. The San Francisco Bay Area is prospering quite well, rich and popular and have had at least two World Series championships and an NBA title last year. In my opinion, Cleveland deserved it more.

dvferyance

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 20, 2016, 07:56:13 PM
But the Packers do represent Wisconsin more than anything else, don't they? Kind of like that Ohio State example. As for Cleveland, I am happy for them, a city that has gone through a lot (and still more to come next month) deserves to be this joyous. The San Francisco Bay Area is prospering quite well, rich and popular and have had at least two World Series championships and an NBA title last year. In my opinion, Cleveland deserved it more.
Well then I guess any team from Ohio represents Cleveland. Just keep in mind that Milwaukee is closer to Chicago then to Green Bay.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dvferyance on June 20, 2016, 08:04:29 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on June 20, 2016, 07:56:13 PM
Well then I guess any team from Ohio represents Cleveland. Just keep in mind that Milwaukee is closer to Chicago then to Green Bay.

I'd say Ohio State represents the entire state of Ohio, it's not like you have a ton of college fans for another school.  Cincinnati professional sports are very much different beast than Cleveland.  The Bengals fans tend to really not like the Browns fans and you have an NL team with the Reds as opposed to an AL with the Indians.  I don't know exactly where the Blue Jackets are supposed to come in...most people in Ohio I know who follow hockey are Red Wings fans.  It's kind of like out in Arizona why there was so many Broncos fans for decades, you didn't have a local team for a long time.  Hell Charlotte even had a pretty die-hard Washington Redskins fan base for LONG time before the expansion with the Panthers.

Yes but the Packers DID play games in Milwaukee from 1933 to 1994.  They even had a side season ticket plan for people who held tickets from when they did play in Milwaukee...they are the team most people in Wisconsin follow regardless of where they are in the state.  There really is few teams in professional sports that managed to pull off having a twin market like the Packers did for all those years.  I guess the Bills were trying to do something similar with Toronto for a couple years there.

jp the roadgeek

The Twin Cities have had quite a bit of futility. Other than the two Twins World Series wins in '87 and '91, no other team has won a title other than the 5 Lakers' championships in the in the late 40's/early 50's before their move to LA.  Vikings have lost 4 Super Bowls, the North Stars (while in Minnesota) and Wild never won anything, and the T'Wolves have done nothing.   

amroad17

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2016, 06:56:20 PM
Here's my source for longest droughts: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/now-that-cleveland-has-won-a-championship-which-city-has-the-longest-title-drought
I thought Cincinnati would be in this article.  However, I believe San Diego should be considered as the city with the longest title drought.  If the NFL counts the AFL team and player stats in its record books, then the Chargers 1963 AFL Championship counts as a World Championship.  Next longest city would be Buffalo, for the same reasons.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jeffandnicole

I guess since the article threw in this note: "Editor's note: Cities with no NBA, NHL, NFL or MLB titles were left off. Those include Charlotte, Buffalo, San Diego and Nashville", it doesn't count San Diego, which as a few pointed out isn't really correct with 2 long running teams (and with a basketball team on occasion as well).  I guess infinity doesn't count for a drought!

When it comes to football, while championships prior to the Superbowl era are slightly noted in the home city of the team, they're not really considered championships of the modern era.  We know that in the Philly area all too well when it comes to the Eagles trying to secure a Superbowl victory!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 21, 2016, 06:21:13 AM
I guess since the article threw in this note: "Editor's note: Cities with no NBA, NHL, NFL or MLB titles were left off. Those include Charlotte, Buffalo, San Diego and Nashville", it doesn't count San Diego, which as a few pointed out isn't really correct with 2 long running teams (and with a basketball team on occasion as well).  I guess infinity doesn't count for a drought!

When it comes to football, while championships prior to the Superbowl era are slightly noted in the home city of the team, they're not really considered championships of the modern era.  We know that in the Philly area all too well when it comes to the Eagles trying to secure a Superbowl victory!

Yea but the Eagles only number 3 on the NFL Championship/Superbowl drought list:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d8291835e

And nobody could understand why when I was living in Phoenix why I was rooting for the Steelers to win over the Cardinals.  :-D

Stephane Dumas

If soccer (both outdoor and indoor soccer) was more popular at that era, imagine how people would had reacted to the Cleveland Crunch victory in 1994. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6RvZ86wpIk

Stephane Dumas

Sorry for the bump but I spotted these very politically incorrect parodies of the German movie Downfall where Hitler is angry then the Golden State Warriors had lost against the Cleveland Cavaliers. I'm surprised than it didn't get more views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn5u3lfphk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-AOOYn-Is

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.