News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

4 digit State Routes in Tennessee?

Started by CYoder, August 01, 2016, 10:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYoder

This has me stumped.

South of Bristol there is Vance Tank Rd, which Google has labeled as State Route 2556.  This isn't acknowledged on TDOT's website or city/county maps, though it appears on Apple Maps and is stored in OpenStreetMap.  Zooming out on Google Maps shows a number of other 4-digit "State Routes" in the area, extending into Carter and Hawkins counties.  I even found an isolated route as far out as the Chattanooga/Cleveland area (view in Google and OSM), though the nearby County Rote 2205 makes me think that this may be an error.  I haven't looked beyond NE Tennessee so far, though it seems some counties have them and some don't.

To further complicate the mystery, there is this sign near the eastern beginning of Pickens Bridge Rd. marked "R3747".  The road is not coded with any route number in Google Maps, Apple Maps or OSM.  I haven't seen any other signs like this within my travels in Tennessee.

Web searches are turning up nothing.  I would guess that these are county roads except for the State Route designation and the fact that there are very few roads within each county given these 4-digit numbers (where they exist at all).  Perhaps this data has been imported from a numbering system that's now obsolete; but then, what was the original system that these numbers came from in the first place?

Avalanchez71

I believe that is part of an obsolete road system.  I know I used to see small signs similiar to those in NC with four digits on them here and there.  I see none anywhere now.  There was one on Clovercroft Rd which runs from Franklin, TN (now annexed) to Nolesnville,TN.  However, about three years ago when a subdivision was put in they ripped out the four digit sign.

Don't ask me why I never took a picture of it and don't ask me why I never just wrote the number down.  I guess I just assumed it would be there for a while.

Brian556

Quote from CYoder:

This has me stumped.

South of Bristol there is Vance Tank Rd, which Google has labeled as State Route 2556.  This isn't acknowledged on TDOT's website or city/county maps, though it appears on Apple Maps and is stored in OpenStreetMap.  Zooming out on Google Maps shows a number of other 4-digit "State Routes" in the area, extending into Carter and Hawkins counties.  I even found an isolated route as far out as the Chattanooga/Cleveland area (view in Google and OSM), though the nearby County Rote 2205 makes me think that this may be an error.  I haven't looked beyond NE Tennessee so far, though it seems some counties have them and some don't.

To further complicate the mystery, there is this sign near the eastern beginning of Pickens Bridge Rd. marked "R3747".  The road is not coded with any route number in Google Maps, Apple Maps or OSM.  I haven't seen any other signs like this within my travels in Tennessee.

Web searches are turning up nothing.  I would guess that these are county roads except for the State Route designation and the fact that there are very few roads within each county given these 4-digit numbers (where they exist at all).  Perhaps this data has been imported from a numbering system that's now obsolete; but then, what was the original system that these numbers came from in the first place?

I found this old Chattanooga Map that shows SR 4327 on what is now SR 153 near Chickamagua Dam. Somebody on this forum told me it was an old Federal Aid Secondary number.

I also found some of those on this old Marion Co General Highway Map shown in rectangles as if they were state routes.

CYoder

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 01, 2016, 01:42:10 PM
I believe that is part of an obsolete road system.  I know I used to see small signs similiar to those in NC with four digits on them here and there.  I see none anywhere now.  There was one on Clovercroft Rd which runs from Franklin, TN (now annexed) to Nolesnville,TN.  However, about three years ago when a subdivision was put in they ripped out the four digit sign.
Makes sense... except the one sign I did see wasn't documented (though I suppose the route could have been been downgraded before the data was entered into a database).

Quote from: Brian556 on August 02, 2016, 01:45:17 AM
I found this old Chattanooga Map that shows SR 4327 on what is now SR 153 near Chickamagua Dam. Somebody on this forum told me it was an old Federal Aid Secondary number.

[a cool map]

I also found some of those on this old Marion Co General Highway Map shown in rectangles as if they were state routes.

[another cool map]

Thanks for sharing these.  That second map has "FAS" labels all over the place.  Do you know what year each was from?

Brian556

Quote from CYoder:
QuoteThanks for sharing these.  That second map has "FAS" labels all over the place.  Do you know what year each was from?

Chattanooga map dated 1960
Marion Co--The date part got cut off the copy, but it probably 1980's. US 41 between Jasper and Monteagle is on the current alignment, and SR 28 (the current alignment) ends at US 41/64/72 in Jasper

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.