News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oklahoma "CAUTION" signs

Started by J N Winkler, October 17, 2016, 12:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

These are Oklahoma DOT's equivalent to the "NOTICE" signs used in New Mexico.  I'm starting a thread to catalogue examples since I have seen these in multiple parts of the state and no longer think they are one-offs or purely regional oddities.  The basic style is black on yellow at top with a scare word or phrase (usually just "Caution"; sometimes color is varied to white on red), with the actual safety message below in black on white.  The first two are from a trip to the Kiamichi River country I took last weekend.  I can remember seeing a third near Alva, but have not yet located it in StreetView.

SH 82 near Lequire, just south of US 270 dogleg overlap:  "Caution - Roadway May Flood During Heavy Rains"

US 259 several miles south of SH 63 intersection:  "Caution - Steep Grade & 180 Curves Next 3 Miles"

On the Talimena Drive itself, whose western end is fairly close to these two examples, there are a couple of signs for which close-up StreetView is unfortunately not available:

Talimena Drive western terminus, SH 1/US 271 split:  first sign (barely visible):  "Warning - Traffic Prohibited During Cold Or Foggy Conditions No Winter Snow Or Ice Control Use SH-270 Or SH-63"; second sign (not visible):  "Truck Warning - Grades Of 13% Next 21 Miles"
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Here's one on SH-9 in Norman, referring to the weight limits on US-77 in Lexington.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I found more "Caution" signs along the US 81 corridor earlier today, while on a daytrip to Kingfisher.  This example is typical:

US 81 just south of Renfrow:  "Caution - Flash Flood Possible Next 6 Miles Do Not Drive Into Water"

The zones on US 81 I saw covered by these signs included one running all the way from the Kansas state line south to Medford (a distance of about 15 miles) and two or three isolated examples further south, at least one of which was near a stream crossing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.