News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Random NYC question

Started by empirestate, October 30, 2016, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Why does the transition between Park Avenue and Park Avenue South happen at 32nd St. rather than 34th, which is the major cross street?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the tunnel and/or Cornelius Vanderbilt.

Alps

Possibly may have to do with the history of being renamed from Fourth Avenue. If the name Park was only originally applied north of 32nd Street (possibly as part of tunnel construction), then they may have added Park South later to avoid complications re: addressing.

storm2k

Basically because a couple of business groups wanted it changed, got their way with the city council back in 1959. Was Fourth Ave below 32nd until then, they wanted a fancier name. Park Avenue itself was renamed in dribs and drabs starting in the 1860s.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on October 30, 2016, 10:06:48 PM
If the name Park was only originally applied north of 32nd Street (possibly as part of tunnel construction)

That is exactly it. The name "Park Ave" was created when the tunnel was built and originally applied to the segment from 32nd to 42nd only. It was extended northward as the tunnel was.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

So, Fourth Ave originally extended north to 32nd Street and stopped there, at the base of Murray Hill before it was cut through?

iPhone

Duke87

Quote from: empirestate on October 31, 2016, 01:17:58 PM
So, Fourth Ave originally extended north to 32nd Street and stopped there, at the base of Murray Hill before it was cut through?

No, the entirety of what is now Park Ave and Park Ave south was once all part of 4th Ave. At the time of the name change to Park Ave, whatever buildings that already existed along it had their address numbers changed as well. Which was doable because everyone's new address was entirely new. What was 501 4th Ave became 1 Park Ave and the post office could easily redirect any mail addressed to the former to the building at the latter.

Extending the name southward, however, would create an address problem. Since Park Ave already started at 1 it wasn't possible to count backwards since negative address numbers would be highly confusing. If the city had gone and assigned numbers that were unused higher up (say, add 5000 to the existing number) that would also be confusing. And renumbering all the buildings to the north would result in "1 Park Ave" suddenly describing a different building than it used to, with no way for the post office or anyone else to tell if the person who wrote it meant the old 1 Park Ave or the new 1 Park Ave.

So the solution was to just call it "Park Ave South" and leave everyone's address numbers alone. Note that Park Ave South's addresses don't begin at 1, they continue from 4th Ave's numbers.

ixnay

Here's *my* random NYC question, pertaining to another borough.  All over Queens there are hyphenated number street addresses, but street addresses in the other boroughs don't have these.  How did Queens end up with such funky house/block numbers?

ixnay

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: ixnay on October 31, 2016, 09:27:03 PM
Here's *my* random NYC question, pertaining to another borough.  All over Queens there are hyphenated number street addresses, but street addresses in the other boroughs don't have these.  How did Queens end up with such funky house/block numbers?

ixnay

To make life easier on 911 and the first responders to find the emergency. Queens is far the from the only place with these numbers. Fair Lawn, NJ has them as well.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 31, 2016, 10:12:24 PM

ixnay

To make life easier on 911 and the first responders to find the emergency. Queens is far the from the only place with these numbers. Fair Lawn, NJ has them as well.

But it's the only borough in NYC that does this, which I think is what prompted the question. My guess is that it's partly due to the high number of duplicated street names between Queens, especially, and other boroughs (Manhattan in particular). Another part is probably that the grid system in Queens, while regular in small patches, is very haphazard overall. The hyphenated addresses (which denote the cross street) help place a certain block in the crazy patchwork of street grids.

cl94

From what I can tell and have heard, correct. The first number is the next cross street north/west.

A lot of why Queens is so weird is because, prior to unification, it was a bunch of towns and villages that made up the western half of then-Queens County (eastern half became Nassau County in 1899). Brooklyn was one large unified city. Not Queens.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: empirestate on November 01, 2016, 02:56:21 PM
But it's the only borough in NYC that does this, which I think is what prompted the question. My guess is that it's partly due to the high number of duplicated street names between Queens, especially, and other boroughs (Manhattan in particular). Another part is probably that the grid system in Queens, while regular in small patches, is very haphazard overall. The hyphenated addresses (which denote the cross street) help place a certain block in the crazy patchwork of street grids.

But this is only helpful for differentiation if done correctly and consistently. Which, let me tell you, it's not. If I had a nickel for every time someone wrote a Queens address without a hypen, or a Brooklyn address with one...

Hell, I've had more than one website choke on the hypen and say my address is invalid. And have had many more autocorrect the address to omit it. Mail that I receive is similarly spotty about including it. Apparently a lot of database systems can't handle hyphens in addresses.

vdeane

Definitely.  My apartment complex uses [building number] [complex name] - Apt. [apartment number] for mail.  Someone else in my building decided to give everyone the address [building number] [complex name] - Apt. [building number]-[apartment number].  Many mail systems truncated at the hyphenated apartment number, resulting in the mail being redirected.  The reason I know about this?  My apartment number is the same as my building number!  After months of writing "return to sender" on every piece of mail, the post office screwed up and accidentally sent an item with an unaltered address to my unit, allowing me to finally figure out what was going on.  Haven't had issues since I bundled a bunch of his mail, crossed out the incorrect stuff on the mangled addresses, and dropped a packet above his mailbox.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ixnay

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 31, 2016, 10:12:24 PM

ixnay

For many years from my first college semester (eastern PA, fall 1979) I had a Hagstrom NYC street atlas, bought in a new-books bookstore (mom and pop type) in my college town.  It showed hyphenated block numbers in Queens.  This was maybe 3 years before the 911 number was launched.

ixnay

cl94

I don't have any issues with hyphenated numbers here. Maybe it's because my hyphen is in the apartment number?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Not necessarily.  I was getting mail addressed to "Apt. 4-20" because the computers were shortening it to "Apt. 4" (the person SHOULD have been writing "Apt. 20" but wasn't).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.