News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Large intersection locations?

Started by ColossalBlocks, November 01, 2016, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

I have been looking for large intersections lately (the kind with 2 or more turn lanes) and i found nothing, do you guys have anything? 
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

hotdogPi

They're not that rare, but they're mostly in urban areas. One relatively close to you is US 50/61/67 and MO 267 near St. Louis.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Any urban area has tons of them... I can think of dozens in Jacksonville meto area.. Go on google maps and you can look at your choice from just about any city in the US, Canada or Australia

LGMS428

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on November 02, 2016, 06:51:08 PM
So not that many i assume?

Well, it depends on how large is large.  There are tons of intersections with 2 turning lanes, and we have a multi-page thread detailing intersections with 3 (or more) left turn lanes.

J N Winkler

I live in Wichita, a city with 400,000 population, and I can think of at least two intersections with two left-turn lanes that are within 15 minutes' drive of me:

Central and Tyler

Windmill and Zoo

The challenge is not to find dual lefts so much as it is to find the smallest urban area in which a nearby high-capacity facility (like a freeway), or a barrier like a river or flood control canal, has such a distortionary effect on traffic on the arterial road system that dual lefts have to be provided.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

M86

Here's an intersection in Omaha with a triple left turn:  https://goo.gl/maps/GnPfHytbuxs

In South Dakota, 41st & Louise in Sioux Falls is the busiest intersection in SD. https://goo.gl/maps/X1NH8HQZpnp
SDDOT & the City of Sioux Falls are planning to completely redo both those streets and the interchange at I-29.  http://www.41ststudy.com/

DaBigE

Around here, it seems as if your population is at least 25K, you'll have at least one intersection with dual turn lanes in the municipality.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

oscar

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 03, 2016, 06:33:38 AM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on November 02, 2016, 06:51:08 PM
So not that many i assume?

Well, it depends on how large is large.  There are tons of intersections with 2 turning lanes, and we have a multi-page thread detailing intersections with 3 (or more) left turn lanes.

Yep. Intersections with two left turn lanes are so common in urban and suburban areas that they're not worth talking about. The ones with three or more left turn lanes are less common, and would be worth talking about except (as jeffandnicole points out) that's been done already.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bobby5280

Dual left turn lanes are indeed pretty common in urban street intersections, even in small to medium sized cities. One thing that can make it interesting, and possibly odd for drivers, is the varying number of turn lanes for the movements of traffic through the intersection. Some intersections may have dual left turns for all four directions of traffic. Others may have dual lefts for one street and single lefts for the crossing street. I have even seen some intersections where only one direction of traffic has dual left turns and the other 3 movements have only single lefts.

Here in Lawton we have intersections that run the gamut from protected dual left turn lanes for all directions to traffic down to signaled intersections with no dedicated turn lanes at all. Combine that with extreme differences of driving behavior, some driving fast as hell and others driving school zone speed everywhere (even on the Interstate) and it can make for quite an adventure.

M86

Quote from: DaBigE on November 06, 2016, 02:22:53 AM
Around here, it seems as if your population is at least 25K, you'll have at least one intersection with dual turn lanes in the municipality.
There's places in SD that don't fall into that... And it most likely involves Walmart.

m2tbone

I drive through one of these intersections every day.  The intersection of MO Hwy K and Mexico Rd. in O'Fallon, MO, has dual left turn lanes going every direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.