News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Gas Tax Increase

Started by cpzilliacus, September 30, 2016, 07:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 05, 2016, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 05, 2016, 01:21:46 PMAs of January 1, 2015, the Massachusetts ban on locking gas nozzles was eliminated.  However, I'm still trying to figure out what's the issue people have with actually having to hold a gas nozzle while you're pumping the gas.
One word answer: Time. 
Especially at a crowded station (see the Prime Energy station in Salem and/or the Pilot station in Sturbridge as examples). 

Those clips allow someone (especially if they're driving alone) to wash their windshield while refueling.
Another answer: I've refueled in 0 degree weather at places without clips. The gas handle has at least some metal parts. Even with gloves on, that shit gets cold quickly.
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 05, 2016, 01:53:55 PM
Don't you people just jam the gas cap in the handle instead??
That sounds like a great way to overfill the tank.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 05, 2016, 08:35:36 PM

Just to point out, it's hardly me that thought of the idea. Large stickers on the pumps show that this has been going on for quite a while...

http://archive.boston.com/news/local/blogs/starts-and-stops/2014/01/06/the-life-hack-that-major-gas-caps-for-hands-free-fueling/BbCvpVuR3tQv39ns0KFPiL/blog.html

Duke87

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 05, 2016, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 05, 2016, 01:21:46 PMAs of January 1, 2015, the Massachusetts ban on locking gas nozzles was eliminated.  However, I'm still trying to figure out what's the issue people have with actually having to hold a gas nozzle while you're pumping the gas.
One word answer: Time. 
Especially at a crowded station (see the Prime Energy station in Salem and/or the Pilot station in Sturbridge as examples). 

Those clips allow someone (especially if they're driving alone) to wash their windshield while refueling.
Another answer: I've refueled in 0 degree weather at places without clips. The gas handle has at least some metal parts. Even with gloves on, that shit gets cold quickly.

And another: I am tall enough, and the fueling port on vehicles I typically drive is low enough, that if I need to bend over in order to hold the handle on the pump down. If I can lock it, I can stand up straight while the gas is pumping, reducing back strain.

As for jamming the nozzle using the gas cap, I would not do this because unlike a proper lock it will not automatically shut off when the tank is full, inevitably leading to an incomplete fill or spillage. Meanwhile, my fiancée's car does not have a gas cap and since this feature has become increasingly common in new vehicles there is a good chance my next one won't either.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on December 05, 2016, 11:22:11 PM
As for jamming the nozzle using the gas cap, I would not do this because unlike a proper lock it will not automatically shut off when the tank is full, inevitably leading to an incomplete fill or spillage. Meanwhile, my fiancée's car does not have a gas cap and since this feature has become increasingly common in new vehicles there is a good chance my next one won't either.
Ditto.  Besides, my gas cap is attached to the car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 05, 2016, 10:34:10 PM

Just to point out, it's hardly me that thought of the idea. Large stickers on the pumps show that this has been going on for quite a while...

http://archive.boston.com/news/local/blogs/starts-and-stops/2014/01/06/the-life-hack-that-major-gas-caps-for-hands-free-fueling/BbCvpVuR3tQv39ns0KFPiL/blog.html
Two things worth noting, especially when one clicks and reads the linked-article:

1.  It was written in Massachusetts nearly 3 years ago, when nozzle clips were still illegal in that state.

2.  It's stating that the very act of jamming the fuel cap to hold the nozzle open is illegal.  I'm guessing that such hasn't changed when the nozzle clip ban was lifted almost 2 years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2016, 01:12:40 PM

Mine too, so that's not an option.  If the pump doesn't have one, so be it.  But having one and disabling it irks me as much as having to pay 6 cents more a gallon to use a debit card, and even moreso when it's 0 degrees.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Mine is as well (on the car I drive most, anyway), but the tether isn't so short as to prohibit jamming the cap in the handle. I've done that once only–we were at Mont-Tremblant and the wind chill was —30°C or lower and the pump didn't have the hold-open thing (I believe I read somewhere they're illegal in Canada).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2016, 10:02:58 PM

Mine is as well (on the car I drive most, anyway), but the tether isn't so short as to prohibit jamming the cap in the handle. I've done that once only–we were at Mont-Tremblant and the wind chill was —30°C or lower and the pump didn't have the hold-open thing (I believe I read somewhere they're illegal in Canada).

This short article is two years old, but I'm assuming they're still illegal in Canada (http://www.ontariomutuals.com/blog/why-you-wont-find-trigger-locks-at-canadas-gas-stations). I've never used one before.

7/8

Only a week after my last post, I found a gas handle lock at the Canadian Tire Gas Bar at the Trenton ONRoute (401 EB). So now I'm not sure if they're still illegal in Canada, or if I found an exception.

I checked the gas station I usually use in Kitchener and it didn't have a gas handle lock.

PHLBOS

Well, PA just hiked its gas tax again (last phase of Act 89); so prices in NJ are once again likely cheaper than they are across the Delaware.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Looks like they are, according to Gas Buddy.  PA is more expensive than NY, though.  Never thought NY would be less expensive than one of its US neighbors.  NJ, once an island of green/yellow, now blends in with its neighbors, and PA is now an island of red.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on January 03, 2017, 08:53:10 PM
Looks like they are, according to Gas Buddy.  PA is more expensive than NY, though.  Never thought NY would be less expensive than one of its US neighbors.  NJ, once an island of green/yellow, now blends in with its neighbors, and PA is now an island of red.

PA has been more expensive than NY since at least mid-summer. When I got gas heading to the Birmingham meet, for example, I paid 20 cents more than I did in Albany. Ditto for my clinchfest in PA and the Southern Tier right before Christmas, except that was 20 cents more than Buffalo. Never thought I'd see the day when prices in PA are more expensive than Westchester and NYC, though.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Recent trip: MD is slightly cheaper than NJ, DE is slightly more expensive. Probably varies with the tides.

NJRoadfan

Recent trip: NC is more expensive then NJ, esp. for premium grades of fuel (NC's gas tax is about the same as NJ's now). Same goes for areas of VA.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 04, 2017, 04:51:12 PM
Recent trip: NC is more expensive then NJ, esp. for premium grades of fuel (NC's gas tax is about the same as NJ's now). Same goes for areas of VA.

Because of local transportation districts in some (urban and suburban areas) of Virginia impose taxes above and beyond what the Commonwealth charges, which causes prices to vary a fair amount.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Weekend trip to VA:

Give or take a dime, NJ, DE, MD & VA are all about the same - $2.25 to $2.40 or so.  Per Gasbuddy some nearby stations were in the $2.teens in Virginia, but I never passed by them on my travels.

Drove into DC just to ride around; saw one station at $3.05 for Regular there!

Left Saturday at 2pm; I-295 here in NJ was horrible with the ever-increasing snowfall amounts.  Delaware's I-95 was much better, and by MD we were traveling at normal highway speeds.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2017, 12:09:19 PM
Drove into DC just to ride around; saw one station at $3.05 for Regular there!

Cheapest prices for gas in D.C. are usually to be  found at the Costco on New York Avenue, N.E. (U.S. 50) just east of South Dakota Avenue (if you have a Costco card). That Costco is often 30¢ or more less than other stations for unleaded regular (unfortunately, it does not sell Diesel fuel).

It is difficult to reach if you do not know the streets, and to exit, nearly all traffic has to use South Dakota Avenue, N.E., which means going there in the P.M. peak period is a major mistake.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

I happened to be in Delaware yesterday (in the span of 4 hours...NJ, Ikea in Philly, meeting in Delaware a mile from MD, and back to NJ)...and needed gas.  I looked up Gasbuddy.

The Pilot, Flying J, and a newly opened Wawa, all in NJ just off the Delaware Memorial Bridge were at $2.25.  In Delaware, I don't think there was a single station under $2.30 anywhere along my 2 possible routes back (95 & 40), and most were in the $2.35 - $2.40 range.

While the $2.25 was lower than average throughout much of NJ, it's not incredible lower.

In the past, NJ would be about a dime or 15 cents cheaper than DE.  With the 23c tax hike, it would stand to reason DE would now be slightly cheaper.  Instead, I'm starting to consistently find them more expensive!

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2017, 02:26:46 PM
I happened to be in Delaware yesterday (in the span of 4 hours...NJ, Ikea in Philly, meeting in Delaware a mile from MD, and back to NJ)...and needed gas.  I looked up Gasbuddy.

The Pilot, Flying J, and a newly opened Wawa, all in NJ just off the Delaware Memorial Bridge were at $2.25.  In Delaware, I don't think there was a single station under $2.30 anywhere along my 2 possible routes back (95 & 40), and most were in the $2.35 - $2.40 range.

While the $2.25 was lower than average throughout much of NJ, it's not incredible lower.
The cheapest gas in NJ moves around significantly over time. Just along my commute, the following places had the cheapest gas at on point in the last 3+ years: Cherry Hill, Marlton, Turnersville, Berlin, Winslow, and Egg Harbor Township. There are times when Carneys Point is cheaper than all of them (like right now), and there are times it's actually the most expensive.
In the past, NJ would be about a dime or 15 cents cheaper than DE.  With the 23c tax hike, it would stand to reason DE would now be slightly cheaper.  Instead, I'm starting to consistently find them more expensive!
They were slightly cheaper for the first few weeks. Don't know what happened. Supply and demand?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.