News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New scenic byway signage in NJ

Started by _Simon, December 24, 2016, 09:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Simon

I live off of NJ-57 and noticed about two months ago that there were new bizarre pictographic route shields along the entire route.

* At both ends of the highway, and after major crossings like NJ-31,  there is a reassurance marker with a proper label "Warren County Heritage Byway"
* After almost every other crossing there is a textless reassurance marker with a white-on-green horizontal arrow turned on its side to point "up".
* They did a good job signing the entire highway with this cryptic shield,  but it only says in about 4 places what it means,  and they installed all new posts for each sign -- the signs *never* share a NJ-57 reassurance marker.

I was on NJ-29 yesterday and noticed that it too is a scenic byway.   I then found this:  http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/scenic/route57.shtm   

Is NJ-57 new to this,  or are these all long-defined scenic byways that are just now getting new signage?   I've never seen any of this before outside of the "Americas Byways" sign.

storm2k

They may have only put the signs up recently. They've been doing these scenic byway things for a while now. I know the Millstone Valley Byway has been signed for a few years already.

Mr. Matté

Definitely since 2014.

As for the most random:
The Upper Freehold Historic Farmland Byway -- "Because the farms in Millstone Township just suck"

_Simon

Quick and dirty pic I snapped on 57.
This one has a proper facing arrow, though I would still question the color choice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.