News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Visiting New York City

Started by brianreynolds, December 31, 2016, 01:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

The only time I've been to New York City we stayed on Staten Island at a Comfort Inn that had a free shuttle to the Staten Island Ferry. Worked out really well, and it was very cool to have my first time approaching Manhattan being from the harbor.

sparker

All my auto trips to the NYC area have involved staying in Edison, NJ (at a Red Roof; one of their better facilities), which is located at the I-287/Secondary 501 interchange.  Worked out well, as the RR station in Metuchen is just down 501, which expedited access to the city.  I realize a Jersey stay would just reprise previous visits, but regardless of that, I for one have always had positive experiences with my Edison lodging.

Alps

Quote from: sparker on January 29, 2017, 08:44:06 PM
All my auto trips to the NYC area have involved staying in Edison, NJ (at a Red Roof; one of their better facilities), which is located at the I-287/Secondary 501 interchange.  Worked out well, as the RR station in Metuchen is just down 501, which expedited access to the city.  I realize a Jersey stay would just reprise previous visits, but regardless of that, I for one have always had positive experiences with my Edison lodging.
501 is a county route, it's just numbered on a statewide system. (Iowa does that for all its routes alphanumerically.)

sparker

Quote from: Alps on January 29, 2017, 11:41:57 PM
Quote from: sparker on January 29, 2017, 08:44:06 PM
501 is a county route, it's just numbered on a statewide system. (Iowa does that for all its routes alphanumerically.)

Been driving on NJ roads for 30-some-odd years and didn't realize that.  The 500/600 series seem to be maintained at least as well as actual state routes -- and with full and useful signage -- resulting in my presumption of state involvement.  Maybe I was just used to the haphazard way CA counties sign their county routes (if they do at all!).  Now I'm actually envious of something from NJ!!!! 

cl94

NJ CRs are very high quality. Many of NY's eastern counties have CRs of similar quality. Suffolk in particular comes to mind. Warren has near-SR quality as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.