News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Iowa Speed Cameras

Started by Brandon, May 01, 2017, 02:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Caught wind of this via Facebook.  Apparently IowaDOT has ordered some of the municipalities to remove their speed cameras.

Court: DOT can order speed cameras removed from highways

QuoteThe Iowa Department of Transportation has the authority to order cities to remove automated traffic enforcement cameras from highways and interstates, a Polk County judge has ruled.

The ruling is in response to a request for judicial review filed by Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Muscatine in 2015 after the transportation department ordered some speed cameras turned off because they did not make interstate highways or nearby intersections safer.

Judge orders I-380 traffic cameras removed

QuoteThe cameras on Interstate 380 are the most profitable for the city of Cedar Rapids, bringing in the majority of the roughly $3 million in revenue the cameras generate for the police department each year. The city had removed the bulk of that money from its budget plans.

Safety, my ass.  It's all about the revenue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

MNHighwayMan

I've been following this (obviously...) for a while now and I'm super proud the Iowa DOT has the balls to tell municipalities where to shove those goddamn cameras. Next up: red light cameras. Please.

WhitePoleRD

Yeah, if you don't know where the camera is in CR, you will get a ticket. Polk County also has those mobile speed units around the DSM metro that are loads of fun.

Personally, I'm mixed about the cameras. I see both sides.
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: WhitePoleRD on May 01, 2017, 02:44:37 PM
Yeah, if you don't know where the camera is in CR, you will get a ticket. Polk County also has those mobile speed units around the DSM metro that are loads of fun.

At least those are always pretty clearly visible and (if necessary) you can slow down before it nails you. Personally, I find that all types of automated citation generating devices (speed cameras, red light cameras) completely unconstitutional because they violate the Sixth Amendment, which states that you have the right to face your accuser in court. (How is a traffic camera going to show up in court?) Some places dodge this by calling it not a normal traffic citation (which is an infraction of the law) but instead as some sort of ambiguous fine levied by the city. To me, it's bullshit either way.

WhitePoleRD

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 01, 2017, 02:52:15 PM

At least those are always pretty clearly visible and (if necessary) you can slow down before it nails you. Personally, I find that all types of automated citation generating devices (speed cameras, red light cameras) completely unconstitutional because they violate the Sixth Amendment, which states that you have the right to face your accuser in court. (How is a traffic camera going to show up in court?) Some places dodge this by calling it not a normal traffic citation (which is an infraction of the law) but instead as some sort of ambiguous fine levied by the city. To me, it's bullshit either way.

No disagreement about the 6th. I guess it's a challenge we'll face with laws written before 1800 and technology that's evolving every day.
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Brandon on May 01, 2017, 02:00:39 PM
QuoteThe cameras on Interstate 380 are the most profitable for the city of Cedar Rapids, bringing in the majority of the roughly $3 million in revenue the cameras generate for the police department each year. The city had removed the bulk of that money from its budget plans.

Safety, my ass.  It's all about the revenue.
Yeah, from this article about the Sioux City ones:

The cameras have generated millions of dollars in revenues for the city, which has used the money for public safety projects. In fiscal year 2015, the city took in $446,000 from the red-light cameras and $510,000 from the I-29 speed cameras.

A lot of that comes from South Dakotans. I never buy anything or drive through Sioux City anymore if I can help it (No, I wasn't ticketed).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

hbelkins

Quote from: WhitePoleRD on May 01, 2017, 02:44:37 PM

I'm not. If speed or red-light enforcement is deemed to be that important, then the jurisdictions involved should allocate personnel to do it. Let them suffer the PR fallout from writing speeding tickets instead of going after drug dealers, burglars, rapists, etc.

And by all means, the owner of the highway -- in this case, the state -- should have the authority on whether or not to allow other agencies to install speed cameras or anything else. Putting things on the right-of-way without permission is generally deemed to be an encroachment in Kentucky and is not allowed. Thank God we don't allow enforcement cameras.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

pianocello

Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2017, 11:12:52 AM
And by all means, the owner of the highway -- in this case, the state -- should have the authority on whether or not to allow other agencies to install speed cameras or anything else.

Even if they allowed the cameras in the first place, the DOT should still be able to say whether or not they should be removed.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

JREwing78

Digging this out of the grave because apparently Grinnell and Newton can't resist the lure of speed camera revenue, regardless of what the Iowa DOT's stance is.

City along I-80 in eastern IA plans to install speed cameras
https://www.kjan.com/index.php/2024/02/city-along-i-80-in-eastern-ia-plans-to-install-speed-cameras/

Steve Lehto commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olBupc90KL8

JREwing78

Meanwhile:

Iowa lawmaker Brad Zaun continues his crusade against traffic cameras
He wants to ban them while also banning hands-free devices while driving
https://www.thegazette.com/state-government/iowa-lawmaker-brad-zaun-continues-his-crusade-against-traffic-cameras/

sprjus4

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 26, 2024, 07:45:47 PM
Meanwhile:

Iowa lawmaker Brad Zaun continues his crusade against traffic cameras
He wants to ban them while also banning hands-free devices while driving
https://www.thegazette.com/state-government/iowa-lawmaker-brad-zaun-continues-his-crusade-against-traffic-cameras/
"Banning hands-free devices while driving"?

I believe this should read "banning hand-held devices."

kphoger

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 26, 2024, 07:41:54 PM
Digging this out of the grave because apparently Grinnell and Newton can't resist the lure of speed camera revenue, regardless of what the Iowa DOT's stance is.

https://www.kjan.com/index.php/2024/02/city-along-i-80-in-eastern-ia-plans-to-install-speed-cameras/

Oh, wow!  Iowans love do do 80 on the Interstate.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2024, 01:13:19 PM

In NY, NYSDOT would say, "You're doing what on our road?  Nope."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 27, 2024, 02:25:56 PM

Nice!  I'm not even going to fix it, because it's a cool error.

(know why it's cool?)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2024, 02:28:11 PM

(know why it's cool?)
It bips.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on February 27, 2024, 02:30:34 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2024, 02:28:11 PM

(know why it's cool?)
It bips.

And a great American pasttime...

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on February 27, 2024, 04:13:08 PM
And a great American pasttime...

I believe it's spelled "pastttime".
Male pronouns, please.

froggie

It's spelled however my iPad wants to spell it...

Revive 755

All the speed cameras on the Avenue of the Saints in Iowa certainly make the slightly longer way between St. Louis and St. Paul through Illinois and Wisconsin look better these days.

Now if only Missouri had the funds to improve US 136 and built a bridge to bypass Keokuk, which is also getting speed cameras . . .

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.