News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BGS sheeting types by state

Started by Pink Jazz, July 25, 2017, 12:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, which states use what types of sheeting for their BGS?

I know ADOT allows the use of either Type IX or XI.

jeffe

California uses Type XI. 

Caltrans currently has several active projects to replace illuminated button copy signs with non-illuminated Type XI.

roadman

MassDOT normally specifies Type VIII or better, although the current I-90 West Stockbridge to Auburn and Auburn to Boston sign projects specified Type XI (both NFA projects, so it gave them an opportunity to get large scale field experience with the material).  Until recently, Type III or IV was specified for black/yellow or black/white banners on BGS signs, but Type VIII or better is now allowed for these banners as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: jeffe on July 25, 2017, 03:09:44 AM
California uses Type XI. 

Caltrans currently has several active projects to replace illuminated button copy signs with non-illuminated Type XI.

I know when ADOT replaces its older signs with Type IX or XI, illumination is generally removed, although if Type IX is used illumination is retained if located in proximity of a major interchange.

Revive 755

The comparison here might get difficult since some states use different names for their sign sheeting.  Illinois per one of their manuals, uses Type AA, AP, AZ and ZZ.

roadman

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 25, 2017, 07:38:12 PM
The comparison here might get difficult since some states use different names for their sign sheeting.  Illinois per one of their manuals, uses Type AA, AP, AZ and ZZ.

There should be something in the Illinois materials standards that equates their codes to the ASTM sheeting types.  For now, based on the sign type descriptions, I offer the following translations

AA = Type VII
AP = Type III or IV
AZ = Type VIII
ZZ = Type XI

Anyone out there more familiar with Illinois specifications, feel free to correct me if I've goofed it up
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadman on July 26, 2017, 09:33:49 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 25, 2017, 07:38:12 PM

There should be something in the Illinois materials standards that equates their codes to the ASTM sheeting types.  For now, based on the sign type descriptions, I offer the following translations

AA = Type VII
AP = Type III or IV
AZ = Type VIII
ZZ = Type XI

Anyone out there more familiar with Illinois specifications, feel free to correct me if I've goofed it up

And VII (along with X) are obsolete designations, and are now considered Type VIII.

As far as I know, Type XI is supposed to combine the best traits of both VIII and IX.

Pink Jazz

Going back to sheeting types, different signage types in Arizona have different allowed sheeting types.  While BGS specify either type IX or XI in Arizona, other types have different specs.  The blue background of logo signs for example still allows the use of Type I (Engineering Grade), although that now seems to be rare.  Orange construction signs allow type VIII in addition to either IX or XI, and is the only signage type in Arizona where Type VIII can be used.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.