News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ios or android?

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 27, 2017, 05:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one?

ios
10 (32.3%)
Android
21 (67.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

SSOWorld

I used to be a super user of some type who had ambitions to do more than I want with phone, computer, whatever.  Now I just want it to work for what I need.  That being said, I don't care for carriers installing their own apps on my phone and not allowing me to remove them.  That is something Apple doesn't permit.  Yes I get shitwear from Apple, but third party? NOPE! (last android I had I had to pay for a caller location app just to get rid of the nag - and the app was locked from removal :banghead:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

plain

Android and I have 2 of them (Samsung & Moto)
Newark born, Richmond bred

doorknob60

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 30, 2017, 01:03:42 PM
I used to be a super user of some type who had ambitions to do more than I want with phone, computer, whatever.  Now I just want it to work for what I need.  That being said, I don't care for carriers installing their own apps on my phone and not allowing me to remove them.  That is something Apple doesn't permit.  Yes I get shitwear from Apple, but third party? NOPE! (last android I had I had to pay for a caller location app just to get rid of the nag - and the app was locked from removal :banghead:

Then don't buy phones from your carrier. I've bought devices straight from Motorola and Google, and none come with any carrier crap. I mean, they come with Google apps like Maps and Youtube and Gmail, but that's no different than Apple including their apps. And Motorola has a few of their own apps but mostly simple things. The great thing about Android is you can choose that. Don't like Samsung's apps? Don't buy a Samsung. Don't like AT&T's apps? Buy from the manufacturer instead of the carrier.

vdeane

But isn't buying phones from the carrier the only way to guarantee that it will actually work?  Not every phone works with every carrier, and this is especially a problem on the pre-paid off-brand networks like Cricket (in other words, the only way to get phone plans that are actually affordable).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

doorknob60

Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2017, 10:06:27 PM
But isn't buying phones from the carrier the only way to guarantee that it will actually work?  Not every phone works with every carrier, and this is especially a problem on the pre-paid off-brand networks like Cricket (in other words, the only way to get phone plans that are actually affordable).

That's not as true as it used to be. If you buy an unlocked phone, it will work on most or all carriers. For example, you can get the 4th Gen Moto E unlocked for $99 if you have Amazon Prime (a bit more if you don't but still a good deal). That phone will work on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. In addition, it will work on prepaid carriers like Cricket (runs off AT&T network) and MetroPCS (T-Mobile network).

Some phones don't have CDMA (which Verizon and Sprint use), and only work on AT&T, T-Mobile, and their prepaid networks like Cricket. But that still gives you plenty of options. Generally, all you have to do to switch phones is move your SIM card from one to the next. Especially on GSM networks like AT&T and T-Mobile.

I have used T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, and Project Fi, and never once used a carrier branded device, all unlocked. Always worked well for me.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on July 29, 2017, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2017, 06:56:32 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 28, 2017, 03:18:23 PM
For iOS, the biggest benefit is the user interface. I like the older iOS interfaces better than the newer ones, but it's still a simple yet elegant design (like the Mac OS when compared to Windows).

Oh, the user interface looks nice. And it's simple to use–so long as what you want to do is 1) anticipated by the Apple devs and 2) you're going about it the way Apple thinks you should. If you find yourself trying to do something that is not the way Apple wants you to do it, you will absolutely play hell trying to get it done.

For instance, I had a drawing a friend did downloaded to my iPad (which I only have because I won it in a contest; when it needs to be replaced I will not get a new iPad) and I wanted to set it as the home screen. Simple so far. The problem arose because the drawing was not intended as an iPad background and was not the same aspect ratio. iOS happily accepted it and automatically cropped the top and the bottom off for me.

...Except that I wanted the top part of the picture (where the character's head was) to be the part that was displayed. No matter what I did iOS resolutely would not accept that I knew better what part of the picture needed to be displayed than it did.

I finally had to take a screenshot of the damned picture in the image viewer and set that as the desktop background. A horrific kludge necessary to solve a problem that Windows 95 had a built-in solution for.

You're comparing a tablet to a computer. On my laptop (which is a MacBook Pro), I can just duplicate the file and crop the copy.

The title of the thread is "iOS or Android". It's a deficiency that iOS has that Android does not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 01, 2017, 03:52:45 AM
Quote from: 1 on July 29, 2017, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2017, 06:56:32 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 28, 2017, 03:18:23 PM
For iOS, the biggest benefit is the user interface. I like the older iOS interfaces better than the newer ones, but it's still a simple yet elegant design (like the Mac OS when compared to Windows).

Oh, the user interface looks nice. And it's simple to use–so long as what you want to do is 1) anticipated by the Apple devs and 2) you're going about it the way Apple thinks you should. If you find yourself trying to do something that is not the way Apple wants you to do it, you will absolutely play hell trying to get it done.

For instance, I had a drawing a friend did downloaded to my iPad (which I only have because I won it in a contest; when it needs to be replaced I will not get a new iPad) and I wanted to set it as the home screen. Simple so far. The problem arose because the drawing was not intended as an iPad background and was not the same aspect ratio. iOS happily accepted it and automatically cropped the top and the bottom off for me.

...Except that I wanted the top part of the picture (where the character's head was) to be the part that was displayed. No matter what I did iOS resolutely would not accept that I knew better what part of the picture needed to be displayed than it did.

I finally had to take a screenshot of the damned picture in the image viewer and set that as the desktop background. A horrific kludge necessary to solve a problem that Windows 95 had a built-in solution for.

You're comparing a tablet to a computer. On my laptop (which is a MacBook Pro), I can just duplicate the file and crop the copy.

The title of the thread is "iOS or Android". It's a deficiency that iOS has that Android does not.

The iOS photo app allows for cropping and other editing of images now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.