News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

McDonald's signs

Started by JJBers, July 27, 2017, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

I have no clue why, but I now realized I have a lot pictures of McDonald's signs along with other fast food chains, so I made album: Fast food signs
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

GCrites

Max Rockatansky

I have the real McDonalds arch from Sedona, AZ.  I'll have to link it over sometime.

BamaZeus

This reminds me that there is allegedly only 1 original single-arch sign left in existence.  I used to pass the one in Huntsville now and again, but it's gone now, removed to a museum in Cincinnati.
http://www.roadarch.com/07/3/hmcd.jpg

briantroutman

^JPI's Central PA roadgeek meet last spring included a stop at a typical-looking mansard McDonald's west of Lancaster where this single-arch McDonald's sign still stood (then). According to Street View, it was removed by October of that year. I don't know where this design fits into McDonald's sign chronology–it lacks the Speedee mascot, a reference to the number sold, and any neon. Yet it oddly includes McDonald family heraldry...which to me seems both irrelevant and incongruous with the overall design.

And while we're on the topic of odd McDonald's signs, how about this McStop in Kingdom City, MO? I think it was planned to be its own sub-brand of McDonald's locations attached to gasoline stations along Interstates, but from what I can tell, only this one in Missouri, a few in Minnesota, and perhaps a few others were ever opened. And there was nothing special or unusual about the restaurant itself–it was just a standard-looking '70s/'80s mansard McDonald's. In fact, the sign on the front of the building read simply McDonald's, not McStop.

JoePCool14

Quote from: briantroutman on July 28, 2017, 01:15:07 PM
And while we’re on the topic of odd McDonald’s signs, how about this McStop in Kingdom City, MO? I think it was planned to be its own sub-brand of McDonald’s locations attached to gasoline stations along Interstates, but from what I can tell, only this one in Missouri, a few in Minnesota, and perhaps a few others were ever opened. And there was nothing special or unusual about the restaurant itself—it was just a standard-looking ’70s/’80s mansard McDonald’s. In fact, the sign on the front of the building read simply McDonald’s, not McStop.

I feel like McGo would have made more sense, if it was intended for travelers.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

US 89

Quote from: BamaZeus on July 28, 2017, 12:17:36 PM
This reminds me that there is allegedly only 1 original single-arch sign left in existence.  I used to pass the one in Huntsville now and again, but it's gone now, removed to a museum in Cincinnati.
http://www.roadarch.com/07/3/hmcd.jpg

I believe there is a single arch sign on US 24 in Independence MO.

jeffandnicole

Here's one, with the arches thru the restaurant.  https://goo.gl/maps/HbHW7vNQXkv  However, it's all a fairly new design, maybe about 10 years old.

The wall in front is more than decoration.  One night, a speeding car (going about 100 mph in a 25 zone) coming down the side street opposing the restaurant ran thru the intersection, thru the front yard, and into the restaurant.  As fate would have it, 3 workers were inside the restaurant cleaning it up for a big inspection scheduled for that day.  The driver apparently said he was trying to commit suicide.  Instead, he killed the 3 workers inside the restaurant.   http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/16/nyregion/car-crashes-at-restaurant-and-kills-3-employees.html . When the restaurant was rebuilt, security features such as that wall were installed to prevent another rare but similar incident from occurring.

epzik8

I'll have to go up to the Lancaster one.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

briantroutman

Quote from: epzik8 on July 30, 2017, 11:33:19 AM
I'll have to go up to the Lancaster one.

You'll still find Big Macs and Filets-O-Fish, but the old sign was removed sometime in the summer or fall of 2016. I recall hearing that there was no plan to store or preserve the sign, so unless that changed, it may have simply been dismantled and disposed of.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 30, 2017, 10:50:37 AM
Here's one, with the arches thru the restaurant.  https://goo.gl/maps/HbHW7vNQXkv  However, it's all a fairly new design, maybe about 10 years old.

There are a number of "retro"  McDonald's locations–some of which are in tourist destinations and others which are in fairly ordinary neighborhoods, like this one in Bethlehem, PA: https://goo.gl/maps/fyAy7kz3e332.

Their red and white tile and golden arches bookending the building recall the look of the early standardized McDonald's locations. But the key difference is that, on the genuine '50s-'60s McDonald's (below, left), the glass on the front and sides of the building wraps around the food-prep area; you'd walk up and order outside under the overhang. There was no indoor seating area. At the reproduction "retro"  McDonald's (below, right), the glass in the front is the back of the dining room–just like any other garden variety McDonald's.

So in sense, the reproduction retro McDonalds is the fast food equivalent to a (New) Beetle or Mini Cooper: It offers a modern interpretation of the old look, yet at the same time, it–in a sense–ignores the original's primary reason for existing.

SFalcon71

Quote from: JJBers on July 27, 2017, 05:08:40 PM
I have no clue why, but I now realized I have a lot pictures of McDonald's signs along with other fast food chains, so I made album: Fast food signs

The question we should be asking is why not every Wal-Mart has a Dunkin' Donuts inside

hotdogPi

Quote from: SFalcon71 on August 06, 2017, 11:44:35 PM

The question we should be asking is why not every Wal-Mart has a Dunkin' Donuts inside

The ones I've seen have Subway inside, not Dunkin Donuts.

I know of one Target with a Starbucks inside, but I haven't been to that many Targets.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on August 07, 2017, 07:22:16 AM

I know of one Target with a Starbucks inside, but I haven't been to that many Targets.

I don't know of any Walmarts with a DD inside.  Nearly all the ones I'm familiar with have Subways or McDonalds.  Several also have Philly Pretzel Factories inside, in addition to the other restaurant.  However the pretzels they mainly sell are twists, not the typical soft pretzel sold at their other Philly Pretzel Factories for some reason.

JJBers

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2017, 08:23:38 AM

I don't know of any Walmarts with a DD inside.  Nearly all the ones I'm familiar with have Subways or McDonalds.  Several also have Philly Pretzel Factories inside, in addition to the other restaurant.  However the pretzels they mainly sell are twists, not the typical soft pretzel sold at their other Philly Pretzel Factories for some reason.

DDs in Wal-Marts are more of a New England thing than a nation wide thing. And in Brooklyn, CT (my second closest Wal Mart), they have a Subway
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: JJBers on August 08, 2017, 01:21:14 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2017, 08:23:38 AM

DDs in Wal-Marts are more of a New England thing than a nation wide thing. And in Brooklyn, CT (my second closest Wal Mart), they have a Subway

Used to have a Subway in the Walmart in my town, but it was kind of cannibalized by a Subway right across the street from the plaza and another further up the same road (all run by the same franchisee).  Most Walmarts around me have Subway.  A couple have Dunkin Donuts.  The Target in my town has a Pizza Hut and a Starbucks.  There was a time when many Stop & Shops had Dunkin counters in them.  Now, only a couple do (Forestville, CT comes to mind).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Those are some tall arches.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: briantroutman on July 28, 2017, 01:15:07 PM

And while we're on the topic of odd McDonald's signs, how about this McStop in Kingdom City, MO? I think it was planned to be its own sub-brand of McDonald's locations attached to gasoline stations along Interstates, but from what I can tell, only this one in Missouri, a few in Minnesota, and perhaps a few others were ever opened. And there was nothing special or unusual about the restaurant itself–it was just a standard-looking '70s/'80s mansard McDonald's. In fact, the sign on the front of the building read simply McDonald's, not McStop.

There is another McSTOP place in Pevely, Missouri.

https://goo.gl/maps/TGRwbbMGEj32
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.