News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RIP Glen Campbell

Started by adventurernumber1, August 13, 2017, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

Glen Campbell, one of my favorite musicians, has passed away this past Tuesday (August 8, 2017). The cause of his death was a long, courageous battle with the horrific Alzheimer's Disease, of which he was diagnosed roughly around 2011. Despite this fact, for some very strange reason, I knew nothing of this news until when my family (including relatives) were coming back from a trip to Cadiz, Kentucky in October 2013. I found this out when my uncle and mother were talking about it while eating at the Cracker Barrel that I believe was off of Interstate 24's Exit 81 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee (US 231; Murfreesboro, Shelbyville). I was baffled to hear the dismal news. A little while later, in July 2014, I was up late at night (probably 2 or 3 in the morning) reading about updates on Glen's condition, and I was also reading a lot of facts about Alzheimer's Disease itself. This led me to a weeping session where I bawled my eyes out, which was facilitated by Major Depression (which had began plaguing me starting just a month before), and also by thinking about my own relatives which were currently, and in the past (deceased), which have been plagued by the horrific Alzheimer's Disease. During that time, I was binge-listening to By The Time I Get To Phoenix, which was one of Glen's big hits in his career. Sorry for a long rant, but I thought it was relevant to this thread. May Glen Campbell rest in peace.  :-(
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US 81

I was not a big fan when he was popular, but I began to rediscover and appreciate some of his work as an adult. He is one of the musicians that other musicians will cite as having been a formative influence.  I read or heard (NPR?) a story in the last few years about how he was working to finish his latest album with the knowledge that it would be his last.

My condolences to all of us who feel his loss.

bandit957

Michael Johnson (who sang "Bluer Than Blue") died recently too.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

sparker

Quote from: bandit957 on August 14, 2017, 07:04:48 PM
Michael Johnson (who sang "Bluer Than Blue") died recently too.

As a former session musician myself (late '60's through mid-70's), I can say that Glen Campbell's musicianship -- and work ethic -- was legendary in the business.  Everyone toiling in that field envied him because (a) of his undeniable talent and (b) the fact that from early '67 everything regarding his career fell into place, elevating him from a behind-the-scenes legend to an "A-list" performer -- his association with songsmith Jimmy Webb (a case of each being the other's "muse") and his public persona, courtesy of the Smothers Brothers TV variety show, combined to make that elevation at once startling but hardly unappreciated!  Even journeyman musicians such as myself (keyboards & rhythm guitar) saw his success as an indication that our careers could conceivably follow a similar path.  When Wichita Lineman (one of the best-crafted songs ever) came out in early '68 -- followed a year later by Galveston, completing Campbell's Webb "trifecta" -- 3 songs within 2 years reaching or verging on #1 hits -- it was considered a feat of Beatle-esque proportions.  And he stayed up on that perch for well over a decade (his ill-fated liaison with Tanya Tucker verged on scandalous -- but he even weathered that one reasonably well!).  As a musician with a style that transcended pop and country, he made it through the weird-ass 60's, the disco era a decade later, and eventually settled down to be one of the "grand old men" of the music industry.  The odds of there being someone like him are miniscule at best; he was always there for his fans and his cohorts in the business -- he leaves a genuine hole in the talent pool!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.