News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest cities without a US route

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, August 15, 2017, 10:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

This can be a two-pronged discussion:

1. Largest city without an active US route, and

2. Largest city that has never had a US route.

San Diego no longer has any active US routes. Are there any other comparable examples?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

nexus73

Fresno comes to mind if #1 is selected.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Pink Jazz

Albuquerque has no currently active signed U.S. routes, although there is the unsigned U.S. 85 which is concurrent with I-25.

FreewayDan

LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

corco

Seattle is U.S. routeless at this point.

For never had a U.S. route, I don't know, Honolulu?

Max Rockatansky

Bakersfield is up there along the 99 corridor also. 

jp the roadgeek

City (actually, a town) that never had one: Hempstead, NY (population of about 760,000)

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

I figured we had but a search didn't turn up anything.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bing101

Oakland used to have US-40 and US-50 but that became I-580 and I-80.

formulanone

The Great American West: where US Routes go to die.

paulthemapguy

Chicago and Indianapolis wish they were on this list.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Quillz

Quote from: formulanone on August 16, 2017, 09:30:17 AM

It's really more California. They didn't want US routes as part of the '64 renumbering, something I wish wasn't the case, but w/e. Oregon and Washington have been pretty good about retaining most of their US routes. The ones that were eliminated, such as US-126, were because of the intrastate rules regarding length. Or being entirely replaced by interstates (although here, Oregon does a decent job of maintaining US-30 as a frontage road, something Washington doesn't seem to do).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on August 17, 2017, 02:13:44 AM

It's really more California. They didn't want US routes as part of the '64 renumbering, something I wish wasn't the case, but w/e. Oregon and Washington have been pretty good about retaining most of their US routes. The ones that were eliminated, such as US-126, were because of the intrastate rules regarding length. Or being entirely replaced by interstates (although here, Oregon does a decent job of maintaining US-30 as a frontage road, something Washington doesn't seem to do).

Some of them didn't make sense to keep around like 40, 66, 70, and 80 given the huge multiplexes they had with Interstates.   399 and 466 were pretty much doomed given they were intrastate, there is still little sense to bumping 99 completely down to state highways.

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 17, 2017, 07:14:47 AM

Some of them didn't make sense to keep around like 40, 66, 70, and 80 given the huge multiplexes they had with Interstates.   399 and 466 were pretty much doomed given they were intrastate, there is still little sense to bumping 99 completely down to state highways.

US 466 went in three states: CA, NV, and AZ. It was, however, multiplexed with either US 91 or 93 in NV and AZ.

Other routes that were replaced by interstates include US 10 and 91 (and to a lesser extent, 89 in AZ and 85 in NM).

JJBers

Waterbury....Norwich....Union, CT
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

KEVIN_224

Union, CT is the smallest town in the entire state of Connecticut. US Route 6 just misses Waterbury. There are no US Routes in New Britain (population of about 72,000). It does have I-84. Just east of New Britain is the Berlin Turnpike. That carries US Route 5/CT Route 15.

bing101

Anaheim, Santa Ana, Irvine. Cities in Orange county, CA has no us routes because I-5 in the OC is on a former section of US-101.

oldparoadgeek

Harrisburg PA; pop. approximitly 50.000 had 6;  US 11 15 22 322 422 230  and if it counts Bypass 230. 11 15 22 and 322 were rerouted.  422 how ends at its junction with 322 just outside Hershey. 230 became PA Route 230  and Bypass 230 was dropped. Its possible that US 22 just nips a corner of Harrisburg at The PA Farmshow  by the corner of Cameron and Maclay Styreets

briantroutman

^ The US 22-322 freeway between Linglestown Road (PA 39) and I-81 adjacent to Wildwood Park is within the City of Harrisburg. Additionally, the section of US 22 on Cameron Street in front of HACC and the Farm Show complex is within the city, and Arsenal Boulevard enters and leaves the city twice between Cameron and Herr.

Here's the PennDOT type 10 map for Dauphin County: http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/GHS/Roadnames/Dauphin_GHSN.PDF

sparker

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 18, 2017, 12:57:54 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 17, 2017, 07:14:47 AM

US 466 went in three states: CA, NV, and AZ. It was, however, multiplexed with either US 91 or 93 in NV and AZ.

Other routes that were replaced by interstates include US 10 and 91 (and to a lesser extent, 89 in AZ and 85 in NM).

We have talked about this before; because of the CA topography, interregional routes of all varieties tended to squeeze into favorable passageways (Cajon Pass, Beaumont Pass, Donner Pass [favorable to all but the Donner Party itself!] -- ad nauseum), causing multiplexes at or near the passes with 4-5 signed designations.  In '64, the Division of Highways decided to tackle the problem with a machete rather than a scalpel; the end result of which was (a) a loss of 61+% of all U.S. routes (both entering the state and intrastate), and (b) a relatively haphazard state numbering system.  The main saving grace was that most previously unnumbered state highways were signed (some for short periods until relinquishment).  Out here we're living with the detritus of that program every day we drive!

cjk374

Natchitoches, Thibodaux, Houma, & Bogalusa, LA. Not the size of Seattle or Rochester, but decent sized towns here.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.