News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads that Split while Keeping the Same Name/Number

Started by freebrickproductions, August 30, 2017, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Another thing that I've always been curious about is how many roads out there split into two or more directions while keeping the same name/number? For example, in Limrock (Jackson County), AL, you have CR 119 that splits at a railroad crossing before intersecting AL 35, due to the terrain in the area, with both legs of the split being on CR 119:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6723966,-86.1888219,218m/data=!3m1!1e3

However, in finding locations where this happens, the guideline I use is that the road in question must split in two or more directions without changing prefix/suffix, and allow two way traffic on all legs. This means that the following are not allowed:

• Routes that have a business/alternate/spur route break off of them
  • Suffixed routes that both split from the main route (like I-35E and I-35W and I-35)
  • Roads that have one leg of the split get a different name or suffix (like a 12th Street splitting into 12th Street and 12th Avenue)
  • Routes that have the highway number split onto two separate roads due to one or more being one-way (like US 431 in Guntersville, AL)
  • Roads that have a median or traffic island where one or more sides are one-way
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brandon

Historically, IL-172 split into three branches, one south, one east, and one west.  It was truncated to just the south and east branches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Route_172
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

GaryV

Mapmikey

There are a fair number of 3xx routes in Virginia that do this...

arrow under the shield is backwards

ilpt4u

I-465 around Indy used to be such, at the Northwest corner, with I-465 West continuing due West to I-65 North, and I-465 South turning South for the West Leg of the Indy Beltway

That I-465 East/West leg has since been renumbered as I-865

I have a feeling this one won't fly on some technicality, but doesn't I-95/NJ Turnpike split into two separate Roadways near the Meadowlands and the Lincoln Tunnel? Its not suffixed on Google Maps, but I have a feeling it probably is officially, somewhere, or only one leg is officially I-95 or something or other

cl94

NY 52 on both sides of US 209 in Ellenville is signed and state-maintained in both directions on Center St and Canal St. Reference markers list both as NY 52, but with Center as the "main" leg. This is the only instance of this in the state that I know of, as most wyes and splits are officially reference routes (even if signed as the main route).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bdmoss88

Does AL-126 count? Two-way traffic on both sides of I-85 between exits 11 and 16.

ilpt4u

Do Upper Wacker Dr and Lower Wacker Dr count in Downtown Chicago? Both segments do have 2 Way traffic -- its just split as a Double Decker! I guess Upper and Lower may be prefixes, tho I'm not sure Postal Addresses of the buildings Downtown specify Upper vs Lower -- Upper vs Lower may very well be just for navigational purposes -- but I confess I am not sure

Brian556

1995hoo

Virginia secondary route 613 in Fairfax County splits into two routes for its southern end (really "southern ends," I guess). It comes south from the City of Alexandria on Van Dorn Street. At Franconia Road (secondary route 644), one part of Route 613 continues straight ahead down Van Dorn to end at Telegraph Road (secondary route 611), while the other part of 613 goes right (west) a short distance down 644, then turns left (south) on Beulah Street and down to Telegraph Road some distance southwest of the other Route 613. I'm not sure whether the route number continues past there because the road enters Fort Belvoir and the Army decided to block it off from general public use after 9-11.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

I-95 on the NJ Turnpike.  The Eastern and Western Spurs are both considered I-95.

ilpt4u

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 30, 2017, 10:46:49 PM
I-95 on the NJ Turnpike.  The Eastern and Western Spurs are both considered I-95.

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 30, 2017, 08:39:57 PM
I have a feeling this one won't fly on some technicality, but doesn't I-95/NJ Turnpike split into two separate Roadways near the Meadowlands and the Lincoln Tunnel? Its not suffixed on Google Maps, but I have a feeling it probably is officially, somewhere, or only one leg is officially I-95 or something or other
Beat ya to it, but I think that does qualify, unless it officially doesn't, for some reason or another

OCGuy81

OR 223.  It has a northern and eastern terminus both connecting to OR 22.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: bdmoss88 on August 30, 2017, 10:06:05 PM
Does AL-126 count? Two-way traffic on both sides of I-85 between exits 11 and 16.
Not really, as it turns to cross I-85 at where US 80 gets off of I-85:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/AL-126,+Montgomery,+AL+36117/@32.3679236,-86.0540575,1241m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x888c2df5c58122b3:0xb59b097feaa9fe30!8m2!3d32.3662243!4d-86.0944382

Had it also continued down US 80 while doing that double-back, it would've counted.

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 30, 2017, 10:19:53 PM
Do Upper Wacker Dr and Lower Wacker Dr count in Downtown Chicago? Both segments do have 2 Way traffic -- its just split as a Double Decker! I guess Upper and Lower may be prefixes, tho I'm not sure Postal Addresses of the buildings Downtown specify Upper vs Lower -- Upper vs Lower may very well be just for navigational purposes -- but I confess I am not sure
I guess that depends on if the postal addresses specify upper or lower in the road name. If they don't, then I'd say it counts...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

In Oklahoma, SH-63A, SH-77D, and SH-77S all do this. 77S has four termini.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 30, 2017, 10:48:36 PM

Beat ya to it, but I think that does qualify, unless it officially doesn't, for some reason or another

Dammit...that's what I get for skimming!

Even if there's a technicality, which may be shown in the NJ Straight Line Diagrams, for the purposes of this thread that shouldn't matter because general road users aren't going to be researching NJDOT documents to see how they designate it.

For that matter, I-95 both North and South of Trenton are on different alignments.  On the SLDs, 95 North is coded differently than the NJ Turnpike, but no road user would ever know that.

DandyDan

I believe the north end of US 283 in Lexington,  NE does this.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dgolub

CR 516 in Matawan, New Jersey. Eastbound traffic is routed along Broad Street and westbound traffic is routed along Main Street, but both are two-way.

Henry

I-270 at the Capital Beltway does this, and the western part of the fork is even labeled a Spur. Same goes for I-895 south of Baltimore.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on August 30, 2017, 09:48:52 PM
NY 52 on both sides of US 209 in Ellenville is signed and state-maintained in both directions on Center St and Canal St. Reference markers list both as NY 52, but with Center as the "main" leg. This is the only instance of this in the state that I know of, as most wyes and splits are officially reference routes (even if signed as the main route).
Is it?  It's signed as CR 52 in at least one place, and RIS doesn't even show it as a state route.  It's possible that we're looking at some erroneous signage on/near US 209.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 31, 2017, 12:50:11 PM
Is it?  It's signed as CR 52 in at least one place, and RIS doesn't even show it as a state route.  It's possible that we're looking at some erroneous signage on/near US 209.

CR 52 is Ulster Heights Rd and a couple of the NYSDOT reports list both as NY 52. Reference markers exist, with a V in the second space of the third line. Keeping it weird, WB through traffic defaults onto Canal, while EB defaults to Center. Now I'm really curious, because everything on the ground would indicate NYSDOT maintenance, including the NYSDOT salt trucks I have seen working Canal.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Bickendan

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 30, 2017, 11:56:37 PM
OR 223.  It has a northern and eastern terminus both connecting to OR 22.
checking the underlying highway numbers, main branch of OR 223 is ORH 189 and the Rickreall branch is ORH 191. I believe ODOT considers this to be OR 223S but doesn't sign it this way, otherwise it'd be ORH 189Y.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on August 31, 2017, 08:24:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 31, 2017, 12:50:11 PM

CR 52 is Ulster Heights Rd and a couple of the NYSDOT reports list both as NY 52. Reference markers exist, with a V in the second space of the third line. Keeping it weird, WB through traffic defaults onto Canal, while EB defaults to Center. Now I'm really curious, because everything on the ground would indicate NYSDOT maintenance, including the NYSDOT salt trucks I have seen working Canal.
Only other thing I can think of is that the streets might have been a one-way pair (which would be consistent with RIS and the Traffic Data Viewer; if Canal was treated as the opposite direction of Central, it wouldn't have inventory data of its own).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cjk374

LA 815 splits as it approaches its junction with LA 147 south of Arcadia. The roads go around a church & cemetery.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4965057,-92.8658932,0a,75y,128.22h,94.4t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQCTGOiZZa814h6vhwDLQvA!2e0 Check out 1435 LA-815 Shared via the #StreetView app
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Roadsguy

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 30, 2017, 10:48:36 PM

IIRC the eastern branch is the true I-95 and the western branch is internally Route 95W. The NJ Turnpike name, however, is constant, I believe.

Similarly, the segment of free I-95 in NJ north of Trenton is Route 95M.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.