News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-11 to be signed from I-215 to AZ border

Started by Sub-Urbanite, September 09, 2017, 04:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sub-Urbanite

myosh_tino

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on September 09, 2017, 04:34:56 PM
Goodbye, I-515, hello, I-11.

I wouldn't put I-515 out to pasture too hastily.  The section to be renumbered as I-11 only accounts for the southern 5 miles of I-515's routing.  From what I understand, the northern 15 miles from I-215 to I-15 will remain signed as I-515.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Henry

So, another I-22 situation then? I was pretty much expecting I-11 to consume all of I-515, but I guess we'll have to see when the whole thing is completed to the border.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Sub-Urbanite

Sorry, I wasn't implying I-515 is being retired entirely... looks like it's just from I-215 south that it's going away.

roadfro

Quote from: Henry on September 10, 2017, 11:58:11 AM
So, another I-22 situation then? I was pretty much expecting I-11 to consume all of I-515, but I guess we'll have to see when the whole thing is completed to the border.

The ultimate routing through Las Vegas has not yet been determined. It could take over I-515/US 95, or use I-215/CC 215 to the northwest, or go around via Lake Mead and the northern leg of CC 215.

This resigning was approved by AASHTO previously. It is likely being done now just to officially connect the I-11 Boulder City Bypass project (and existing Hoover Dam Bypass) to an existing portion of the Interstate system.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

Really it would be hard to go too far astray if you were dumb enough to be 100% reliant out there, both US 93 and US 95 still meet I-40 with nominal travel time differences to Phoenix. :rolleyes:  Sure makes the whole I-11 project seem a little more real now that actual shields are going to be posted, I've had enough of all the talk and type leading up to this.

jp the roadgeek

Looks like Google Maps has already jumped the gun and put up an I-11 shield
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ATLRedSoxFan

Has Arizona even turned a spade of dirt regarding the I-11 poroject? Sounds like I-11 will disappear at the AZ line or just over the bridge.

sparker

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 10, 2017, 04:57:07 PM
Looks like Google Maps has already jumped the gun and put up an I-11 shield

That's been up (actually, 2 of them!) for several days now.

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on September 10, 2017, 07:38:00 PM
Has Arizona even turned a spade of dirt regarding the I-11 poroject? Sounds like I-11 will disappear at the AZ line or just over the bridge.

On that note, it'll be interesting to see if any I-11 reassurance shields are posted on the Arizona approach to the bridge as well as in Nevada.   

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: sparker on September 10, 2017, 07:46:35 PM

On that note, it'll be interesting to see if any I-11 reassurance shields are posted on the Arizona approach to the bridge as well as in Nevada.   

I haven't seen anything related to this as yet from ADOT.  AFAIK, there is only one "freeway-level" exit on the Arizona side, and that's old US 93 that goes to the AZ side of Hoover Dam.  It's been a couple of years since I was up there, but I don't recall any more than that.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kdk

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on September 10, 2017, 08:11:34 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 10, 2017, 07:46:35 PM

I haven't seen anything related to this as yet from ADOT.  AFAIK, there is only one "freeway-level" exit on the Arizona side, and that's old US 93 that goes to the AZ side of Hoover Dam.  It's been a couple of years since I was up there, but I don't recall any more than that.

There are some minor projects going on, but nothing that ADOT has advertised as far as being an I-11 project the way NDOT has.  They first 15 or so miles south of the bridge going into Arizona are up to freeway standards with the exception of two turnoffs that aren't used to much if any traffic, and could easily be closed off.  The next 10 or so miles south of that are currently being worked on with shoulder widening to bring those lanes up to freeway standards.  The problem though beyond that is then you run into the gas stations along 93 that have direct access to the road, and adding bridges and limited access there with interchanges won't be as easy to gradually do, haven't seen any plans on when that will start.

Sub-Urbanite

In a way, the entirety of their US 93 work between I-40 and Wickenburg has been I-11 work — first twinning the road, with the next phase to add exits. I don't think we'd even be having an I-11 discussion if ADOT hadn't been twinning 93.

The Ghostbuster

If I was the one calling the shots on Interstate 11's route through Las Vegas, I would have it replace Interstate 515 in its entirety. I believe that would be the most logical course of action.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on September 11, 2017, 10:28:26 AM

In a way, the entirety of their US 93 work between I-40 and Wickenburg has been I-11 work — first twinning the road, with the next phase to add exits. I don't think we'd even be having an I-11 discussion if ADOT hadn't been twinning 93.

There are a couple of major issues with turning 93 between Wickenburg and I-40 into a freeway, as opposed to just a 4-lane divided highway:  A couple dozen (at least) ranch turnoffs and the town of Wikieup.

The ranches will still need access, but I don't see any way to build ramps for what are essentially single properties -- not cost-effective.  They'd have to remain at-grade intersections.  IIRC, this is how they are (or were, last time I was on it, in 1994) on I-40 in Texas.

Plus, a freeway would turn the already-depressed Wikieup into a ghost town.  Most of the town is already dead, but there are a couple of restaurants and a good souvenir shop that do good business.  Bypassing it would kill it.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Sub-Urbanite

One other note on this — I wonder if they'll re-number the former I-515 segment to follow I-11's numbering. As it stands, the Railroad Pass exit is Exit 15 (based on I-11 distance to Arizona border), which then jumps to Exit 56 (US 95 distance to California) and up at the next exit.

sparker

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on September 11, 2017, 02:45:54 PM
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on September 11, 2017, 10:28:26 AM

In a way, the entirety of their US 93 work between I-40 and Wickenburg has been I-11 work — first twinning the road, with the next phase to add exits. I don't think we'd even be having an I-11 discussion if ADOT hadn't been twinning 93.

There are a couple of major issues with turning 93 between Wickenburg and I-40 into a freeway, as opposed to just a 4-lane divided highway:  A couple dozen (at least) ranch turnoffs and the town of Wikieup.

The ranches will still need access, but I don't see any way to build ramps for what are essentially single properties -- not cost-effective.  They'd have to remain at-grade intersections.  IIRC, this is how they are (or were, last time I was on it, in 1994) on I-40 in Texas.

Plus, a freeway would turn the already-depressed Wikieup into a ghost town.  Most of the town is already dead, but there are a couple of restaurants and a good souvenir shop that do good business.  Bypassing it would kill it.

When I-11 indeed comes through Wikieup, it certainly won't pull a quasi-Breezewood and become a boulevard through town to insure survival of the businesses there; I haven't seen specific plans, but I'll bet there will be at least one interchange serving town.  It's located far enough from both Wickenburg and Kingman to have utility as an en-route service facility.  The chances are that either the freeway will be close enough for access to the restaurants -- or, alternately, that the restaurants and souvenir shop will relocate to the interchange (particularly if part of a "gas & food" setup).  This sort of situation has occurred before in AZ along I-40 and, to some extent, I-10; the fact that there are still viable business at interchanges and along frontage roads gives some level of credence to the potential for a similar outcome along I-11. 

And because of the area's relative isolation, it's likely that there will be continued ranch access via locked gates in a manner similar to I-40 west of Amarillo.

kkt

Bypass around the west side of Wikieup and put a diamond at Chicken Springs Road.

Also, see if they can attract the Wikipedia headquarters building.

Max Rockatansky

Hell I would be curious to see if I-11 just wipes out Nothing or it just gets left hanging behind fencing off the side of the Interstate:

3074864363176 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Hell put a diamond interchange up for Burro Creek Road.  :-D

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 11, 2017, 10:14:54 PM
Hell I would be curious to see if I-11 just wipes out Nothing or it just gets left hanging behind fencing off the side of the Interstate:

All that's left of Nothing is the sign and a really large (roughly 200 feet tall) cellular tower, with lots of solar cells powering the site.

It's already 4 lanes there, with Nothing being visible mostly from the northbound lanes of 93. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on September 11, 2017, 10:38:59 PM

It's already 4 lanes there, with Nothing being visible mostly from the northbound lanes of 93.  All that's left of Nothing is the sign and a really large (roughly 200 feet tall) solar-powered cellular tower, with lots of solar cells powering the site.

The last time I was by the ruins of the pizza place and rock shop were still there.  Sounds like someone went through and demolished the remains that made it through the fire. 

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 11, 2017, 10:41:34 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on September 11, 2017, 10:38:59 PM

It's already 4 lanes there, with Nothing being visible mostly from the northbound lanes of 93.  All that's left of Nothing is the sign and a really large (roughly 200 feet tall) solar-powered cellular tower, with lots of solar cells powering the site.

The last time I was by the ruins of the pizza place and rock shop were still there.  Sounds like someone went through and demolished the remains that made it through the fire.

The cell tower has been there at least two years.

Sub-Urbanite

If Seligman and Ash Fork can survive, so can Wikieup.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on September 12, 2017, 12:27:49 PM
If Seligman and Ash Fork can survive, so can Wikieup.

They survive on tourism, the only saving grace possibly for Wikieup is that it might be a handy place to put in a Flying J or something given it is the only inhabited place between Wickenburg and Kingman.  Not like Nothing is around to service the brand gas and pizza needs of the weary Vegas bound traveler anymore. 

What about Santa Claus?  Will Santa's land get an exit and frontage road?...inquiring minds want to know!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 11, 2017, 02:24:47 PM
If I was the one calling the shots on Interstate 11's route through Las Vegas, I would have it replace Interstate 515 in its entirety. I believe that would be the most logical course of action.

Agreed.  And now is the time to do it.  That way it's a single change for the entire stretch from I-15 to Arizona.

I-11's dubious future aspirations can follow US 95 the rest of the way through Vegas.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

This number makes no sense. Should be part of I-17 or at least I-13.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.