News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AA Roads Discord Server

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 20, 2017, 12:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I was wondering for the sake of expanding our marketing options, whether the Forum had a Discord or if I could get permission to make one from unanmious agreement upon review from the administration panel. I would gladly setup the server or another individual can.

Thanks!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

ColossalBlocks

But it'd most likely suffer the same fate as the forum chat room.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 20, 2017, 12:47:32 PM
I can't speak for the chat room, but maybe we could spice it up more or something. I wouldn't want to launch it right away, but it could be considered.

cjk374

What fate is that?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

There should be one chat, and that's it. Do not split chat by having both the already-existing one and Discord.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

I don't even know what a discord server is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2017, 02:16:47 PM
It's basically an online messaging service like Skype or Facebook Messenger. However, unlike the other two, for a group-chat to be made on Discord, one person has to set-up a small chat server on their computer for a group chat to be formed.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Alps

I don't think we're trying to market all that hard.

bugo

Why not set one up yourself and invite everybody to sign up?

hbelkins

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 20, 2017, 02:20:31 PM
It's basically an online messaging service like Skype or Facebook Messenger. However, unlike the other two, for a group-chat to be made on Discord, one person has to set-up a small chat server on their computer for a group chat to be formed.

Isn't there enough Discord in the chat room as it is?  :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

And why is it that we need a Discord server?

Quote from: cjk374 on September 20, 2017, 01:09:20 PM

What fate is that?

Second that question.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Desert Man

Thanx, I will head over to the discord chat one of these days. I'm a member of a sailor moon board where they have a discord. And a youtube channel about geography, maps and geopolitics discord.

Oh, I wanna share this: dedicated to what was US 99 - Indio Blvd. in Indio-Coachella CA. "Ninety-nine" by Toto. US 99 still lives on as CA 99 from the Grapevine through Bakersfield north to Fresno, Modesto, Stockton, Sacramento (state capital), Yuba City, Chico, Red Bluff and south of Redding - Lake California or Anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhw-XlTMB5I
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I think of it as a mobile platform for those that want to stay up-to-date without having to login to the Forum (but not to replace it). Anyway, there's no need to make this a salty thread for you "die hard forum goers", so I am presenting this idea as an alternative and a more real-time discussion platform for the forum as a whole.

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

hotdogPi

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 21, 2017, 11:20:18 AM

What fate is that?

Not being used.

It's unused most of the time, but you can usually find a discussion between 6 PM and 11 PM.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CNGL-Leudimin

I always see the chat empty due to my time zone. I usually sleep from 6 PM to 2 AM, i.e. through the most active hours.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

Quote from: 1 on September 21, 2017, 11:27:29 AM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 21, 2017, 11:20:18 AM

What fate is that?

Not being used.

It's unused most of the time, but you can usually find a discussion between 6 PM and 11 PM.

It's used quite a bit from 6 PM - 12 AM Eastern. Basically, when people are awake and not at work.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am providing a link here for those that would like to join! It's your choice, I am by no means requiring anyone to agree or disagree with the idea.

Here ya go! https://discord.gg/bNcuVFp
Additions are in the works!

*For those that would like to join in and are "ol' time forumers" regardless of post count I have made a special role called "Business Route" in addition to the rest.

kkt

I think the discord server throws a golden apple with "For the Fairest" engraved on it into a group of three women.

Duke87

Quote from: cl94 on September 21, 2017, 12:37:51 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 21, 2017, 11:27:29 AM
It's used quite a bit from 6 PM - 12 AM Eastern. Basically, when people are awake and not at work.

Yeah, this is a product of the userbase here being very demographically monolithic. We're a bunch of adults old enough to have full time jobs, concentrated almost entirely in North America. And mostly in Eastern and Central time zones, at that.

For comparison, the chatroom at Simtropolis (another forum I used to frequent) was active 24/7... but Simtropolis, unlike AARoads, had a global userbase so there were people in all sorts of different time zones. Also a younger (on average) userbase, so more people who were able to potentially log in at all sorts of hours of the day in their own time zone. Especially during times of year when school was not in session.

I have found it interesting how the roadgeek community is geographically fragmented. I mean, roadgeeks in other parts of the world exist, but for the most part they don't come here. This is a very US-centric site with a side of Canada.

I suppose it makes sense, though. SimCity is the same game everywhere so fans of it from anywhere in the world can converse about it seamlessly so long as they all know the same language. Roads change from place to place and we like to discuss specific local details of things. It is challenging to join a conversation about road features in a country you have never been to. And most roadgeeks, even if we explore a lot in our own countries, are not likely to have traveled to a large variety of places in the world since most of us lack the means and/or the will.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

adventurernumber1

I'll pop into the regular chat every once in a while. I will continue to do that, but I'll also give this Discord thing a try. I just signed up to Discord this evening, so I really have no idea how it works yet. It's possible that at this very moment there are people talking in the AARoads Discord chat, but I am clueless because I haven't gotten used to navigating the software as of yet.  :pan:  :banghead:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

cl94

Nah, Discord is dead right now. But chat is definitely alive.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Now, we're making progress in the server! There are two types of channels in the Discord service: Text and Voice, I have made a Voice channel for further (if not better) communication regarding road meets and for those just starting out, someone more experienced may join the voice channel and better convey their message. I am reserving administrative duties for those that hold those positions on the site. for now, there is a text channel exclusively for staff communication, as well as DOT employees (because perks, ok? But, don't be shy!) Then there's the usual. All I need to really start doing is getting people's current roles and inputting them in their respective areas on Discord! There is also music capabilities, for those that want to use it! More to come!  ;-)

vdeane

I think it's interesting how this thread basically went like this:
OP: "Should we have a Discord server?"
Everyone else: "Meh, it's not really necessary"
OP: "Here's our Discord server!" (massive excitement)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on September 24, 2017, 08:08:19 PM
I think it's interesting how this thread basically went like this:
OP: "Should we have a Discord server?"
Everyone else: "Meh, it's not really necessary"
OP: "Here's our Discord server!" (massive excitement)
It's a choice: if you want to join you may, if not, don't! Why so salty? It's here if you'd would like to experience it... I see a lot of people are afraid of the unknown.
Hell, I'll put it on the back burner for now, if we want to do something with it, we can!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.